R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Discovered new glitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Discovered new glitch

This morning, drove to work w/ the top down as usual, but decided to stop at the grocery, so I put the top up. When I got back in the car, I just put the windows down and drove the four more blocks to work. I forgot to put up the windows before I turned off the car at work, so I decided to see if the key in the door would put them up, since it's the last part of the automatic top up sequence. It worked. When I came back out to the car to do an errand, I tried to open the sunroof and NOTHING happened . I thought I was finally joining the ranks of those w/ top problems. I put the windows down, drove my errand, and when I got where I was going, I tried the sunroof again - no dice. So, I put the windows up with the toggle on the dash and turned off the car. When I came back out to the car, I started it, then tried the sunroof - It worked . I guess it's like restarting your computer when it stumbles.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting!! So you're saying that when you use the key for the final closing sequence, it disables the sunroof mode until the windows are closed using the dash switch!? Yeah....NO...?

Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Yeah, that was too much extraneous stuff. When I used the key just to put up the windows, when the top was already up, the next time I pushed the "top down" button above the windshield, nothing happened. Drove a short distance, tried button above windshield again, still nothing. Turned off car. After restarting, everything worked normally. I think restarting the car was what cleared everything up.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
I've had similar unexpected top-down sequencing issues with similar results - restart car = no more problem.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:02 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm"???

Old 10-10-2006, 02:56 AM
fred3
4th Gear
What are you talking about? How can you put the top down in one sentence and have a sunroof problem in another? Either you have a convertable or a sunroof. Confused.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Fred3, The convertibles have a "sunroof", in that the first stage of lowering the top is when the front 18"+/- of the top slides straight back, kind of accordian-style. We have a choice then of leaving it there (sunroof mode, max. spd. 75mph) or pushing the button a second time and putting the top all the way down (max. spd. 134mph ). Hope this clears up the confusion. You quite likely have never seen one in this mode, because all I think it is really good for is ridding the car of heat if you don't have time to put the top all the way down. Also this first step can be done while moving, whereas putting the top all the way down requires COMPLETE stop.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by davavd
...You quite likely have never seen one in this mode, because all I think it is really good for is ridding the car of heat if you don't have time to put the top all the way down.
I use this mode all the time when my kids are in the back and it's just too Hot for them to have the top down. I know, I know...it's never too hot to have the top down...I'm just not my usual egotistical self around my kids.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
havnap
Coordinator :: Metroplex MINI
I have something similar where the computer get's "confused". When I start to put the top down sitting inside, I just flick the down button for the back windows and it starts to put them all down. I think finger the top and start sliding it back. By the time the sunroof is all the way back all 4 windows are typically down and off the roof comes.

If I accidently hit the button again before the front windows have started their trek down, the computer stops all processes and the top refuses to go down.

Put everything back up and close the car up and start over and it's fine.