R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cabrio care & Main?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabrio care & Main?

Does anyone know how to maintain and care for a cabrio? This is my first one and I have no clue how to take care of it. Is there a way to help it not fade in color and keep it looking new? I would hate for it to dry out or something because of my ignorance.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too, so I asked over here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=69594

Got some really good advise - check it out.

Cheers

Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
It is an interesting question ....
in the owners manual it states you should treat the top after every 5th wash.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
one way is to park it indoors or have it garaged.

Keep the roof moisturized before it starts drying and fading.

Always check for loose threads or pinching in the canvas...

Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
Thanks for all the info. MiniMaybe, I went to that NAM link, it had a lot of great info. I need to find out if the top was treated while in dealers care.

We have a garage, but one side is full of machines (my husband is in the tool and die bus. and also makes handcrafted knives) and the other side has a '69 RS Camaro that's getting it's transmission changed. He is working on building onto the garage to put his machines in so Free Spirit can have her spot. It may happen before the end of summer. He has 2 big knife shows this summer, so we'll see what kind of time he has. Anyone like knives, we'll be in Atlanta at the Cobb Galleria for the Blade Show (one of the biggest knife shows) June 16-17.

I'll be getting some Raggtop and using that. I'll have to do it before we leave for Atlanta.

If anyone else has any great ideas, let me know.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 PM
rnbradford
1st Gear
Before each wash I vacuum the top with a shop vac with brush attachment. Works great and negates the need for a lint brush.
Richard

Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
I've decided (on my own - no confirmation that this is "the thing to do) that the best thing to do is to avoid cleaning it. I rinse it with water only, and if there are any specific spots to clean, I use minimal amount of car wash soap, and rinse it all thoroughly. I'd rather have a top that's not completely clean than a top that's worn out! Any thoughts on this strategy?

Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 AM
katesmini
3rd Gear
I'm addicted to lint rollering my top! Especially when the cottonwoods get stuck to it, it's fast and works too! Anyone else have this "problem"?

Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Over the weekend I wash our new cabrio. Everyone says not to use cotton to dry the top so I used a microfiber towel and it worked great . No lint at all! I can see though how the cottonwoods and the aspen could be a problem in the spring. Guess I'll have to cut them down in the front.

I really don't see how it could ever get dirty all nicely folded up there on top of the boot .

Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
This is my third convertible and I have used this method with all of them without any problems. My cars are parked under a carport, not in a garage.

I have always been told to rinse the top without soap unless there is a stain. Soap has a tendency to remove the fabric protectant used on the top. If you use soap, after every three or four times, it needs to be treated with a protectant. Also use a protectant once a year or if the water stops beading.

If you live in a dusty environment, you need to clean(rinse, vacuum, or use a lint roller) more frequently if you raise/lower the top often as dirt and grit can cause some wear in the folds of the cloth.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point, Mishka... remember that grit and grime functions liike sandpaper on fabric- it WILL erode the surface of the threads if left on. I've always heard to rinse the top with lots of water (no soap unless you have something stubborn to remove like bird poop) and then to recondition it regularly- like once a month or so if you're only rinsing, more if you use soap which strips the protectant off. The posts above link to a Raggtop CLEANER as well as a PROTECTOR (two different products).

Also, remember to never open your top while the fabric is wet if you can possibly avid it- the wet fabric can mark if it rubs against smoethign while damp. If you're conditioning like you should, though, the water should be beading, so you can towel it off and wait for it to dry in a matter of minutes.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chuckyTLC
I've decided (on my own - no confirmation that this is "the thing to do) that the best thing to do is to avoid cleaning it. I rinse it with water only, and if there are any specific spots to clean, I use minimal amount of car wash soap, and rinse it all thoroughly. I'd rather have a top that's not completely clean than a top that's worn out! Any thoughts on this strategy?
I pretty much follow your way. I rinse my top really thoroughly with water weekly when I wash the Mini. Twice a year I wash it with fabric top cleaner & retreat it with fabric protectant. I have used the stuff by the 303 Aerospace Protectant people but next time I will be trying the RaggTopp brand as I have heard good things about it. The only thing I know that you should not do is wash your top with carsoap as it tends to attract dust & lint.

Some may say I should wash & Treat it more often but my top still beads up water & after 18 months of being parked outside it still looks great.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:46 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
18 months outside? Wow- that's awesome.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I think I will try the Raggtop stuff (two parts). I've heard that the actual top manufacturer recommends that product. Good tip about not putting it away wet.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
18 months outside? Wow- that's awesome.
Well ask me again in another 18 months how it is doing & we will know better but I honestly think that frequent scrubbing with soap or even top cleaner will age my top prematurely & if my top is still beading up water I assume that I don't need to reapply protectant. I guess you can say I am trying the minimalist approach

Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I pretty much follow your way. I rinse my top really thoroughly with water weekly when I wash the Mini. Twice a year I wash it with fabric top cleaner & retreat it with fabric protectant. I have used the stuff by the 303 Aerospace Protectant people but next time I will be trying the RaggTopp brand as I have heard good things about it. The only thing I know that you should not do is wash your top with carsoap as it tends to attract dust & lint.

Some may say I should wash & Treat it more often but my top still beads up water & after 18 months of being parked outside it still looks great.
I am confused - the 303 Aerospace product is for vinyl tops - is the MINI top vinyl or canvas ? Does it matter with the protectant products ???

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/303-30340.html

B

Old 06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Bill - 303 has two different products. One is for vinyl and the other is for cloth. Our tops are cloth.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Bill - 303 has two different products. One is for vinyl and the other is for cloth. Our tops are cloth.
Thanks - I thought my top looked like cloth but was trying to figure out whether there may be some vinyl hiding out there somewhere.... Most tops have a butyl liner I understand but I would hope that this does not see the sun and elements much and doesn't require maintenance attention as well.

I want to get some protectant on the top before the summer is over and will track down the canvas product offerings - thanks !

B

Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
I want to get some protectant on the top before the summer is over and will track down the canvas product offerings - thanks !
B
Just be sure to clean the top before you apply protectant. 303 offers a kit with a bottle of cleaner & a bottle of protectant for cloth tops. It has lasted really long on my top. One piece of advice...be sure to wipe off overspray immediately & thoroughly from you paint. I missed a lot on my last application & man-o-man it is a biatch to get off your paint & trim after it dries

Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Based on what I've read I think tape is in order before doing the protectant phase. Like bamatt, others have said that the overspray is tough to remove.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:32 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I am not sure if you read the article in the last MC2 about top care? They mentioned the use of the 303 protectant products. In case you are interested they are on sale! You get a free bottle of cleaner and shipping with each kit!
http://www.303products.com/store/cat...fm?Category=13

BTW, my wife has an 06 cabrio so I bought a kit, came in 2 days.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
ONOFIVEO
2nd Gear
Thanks CARdiac, order placed.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ONOFIVEO
Thanks CARdiac, order placed.
My Pleasure.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 AM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Top care article

Originally Posted by CARdiac
I am not sure if you read the article in the last MC2 about top care? They mentioned the use of the 303 protectant products. In case you are interested they are on sale! You get a free bottle of cleaner and shipping with each kit!
http://www.303products.com/store/cat...fm?Category=13

BTW, my wife has an 06 cabrio so I bought a kit, came in 2 days.

I wrote that article! I'm the fat guy in the loud shirt pictured in the driveway. If anyone has any good advice that can add up to 500 words or more, send it in to MC2. I'm no writer, just a MINI enthusiast who's had quite a few ragtops in the past...

Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wesmonster
I wrote that article! I'm the fat guy in the loud shirt pictured in the driveway. If anyone has any good advice that can add up to 500 words or more, send it in to MC2. I'm no writer, just a MINI enthusiast who's had quite a few ragtops in the past...
thank you for writing it! What fat guy, I only noticed the MINIs

What king of brush were you using?

Quick Reply: R52 Cabrio care & Main?