R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MCS Cabriolet Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS Cabriolet Ground Clearance

Does anybody out there know what the ground clearance and wheelbase measurements are on the MCS Cabriolet with stock suspension and stock 16" wheels? I've got one in-transit but am a little concerned about clearance entering my garage as it has a crown at the top of a steep driveway that my Mazda 3S just barely clears. I figure the shorter wheelbase on the Cooper will help offset the lower ride height (if any), but wanted to double-check.
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm an experimentalist..

just drive slowely the first time, and you'll have your answer!

Matt

ps, sorry I wasn't more helpful..

Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Ha! There's always a wise-guy in the crowd! Believe me, that's exactly what I'll do. Maybe I should go find a used one and take it for a "test-drive"...better to find out with someone else's than your own!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
The wheelbase measurements are available on miniusa.com and here in the Owner's Manual which you don't have yet. Although I don't see the ground clearance.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Brain, thanks for the wheelbase info. I haven't been able to fine anything on groundclearance though.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wildfamily
Does anybody out there know what the ground clearance and wheelbase measurements are on the MCS Cabriolet with stock suspension and stock 16" wheels? I've got one in-transit but am a little concerned about clearance entering my garage as it has a crown at the top of a steep driveway that my Mazda 3S just barely clears. I figure the shorter wheelbase on the Cooper will help offset the lower ride height (if any), but wanted to double-check.
Thanks!
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the wheelbase was shorter, the wheels are at the very front and rear of the car, any farther apart and the tires would stick out like a motorcycle, my guess is you'll rub, my car is 3/4" lower than stock but I have 215/45-17 tires and that makes it a touch higher so I might be 1/2" lower if that than when I first got it home and it rubs where my 95 Corvette doesn't, if the Mazda barely clears, the MINI will be even closer.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:39 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
The wheelbase is the measurement between the hub of the front and rear wheels...on the Mini that is 97.1"...on the Mazda it's 103.9 The longer that distance, the greater the risk that the middle of the car will scape going over the crown of the driveway. If it were just a speedbump, I agree...the wheelbase wouldn't matter since it's such a short span, but the crown at the top of my driveway is longer and so as the front wheels go further past the crown, the longer distance to the rear wheels potentially increases the chance for scrapage in the middle. Make sense?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Oh, I did by the way find out the stock ground clearance for the MCS. It's 4.5" (or 1.2" lower than my Mazda). Now I need to just confirm where that lowest point is. If it's just the front spoiler or rear valance, then I should be ok since the overhangs are so short. If it's between the front and rear wheels I might have a problem. Hmmm, better find a used one for a "test drive"! And right quick...my ship is docking in Calif on Friday!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wildfamily
The wheelbase is the measurement between the hub of the front and rear wheels...on the Mini that is 97.1"...on the Mazda it's 103.9 The longer that distance, the greater the risk that the middle of the car will scape going over the crown of the driveway. If it were just a speedbump, I agree...the wheelbase wouldn't matter since it's such a short span, but the crown at the top of my driveway is longer and so as the front wheels go further past the crown, the longer distance to the rear wheels potentially increases the chance for scrapage in the middle. Make sense?
I know where the wheelbase measurements are taken from but I would never have thought a Mazda 3 would have a longer wheelbase than a MINI by the look of it, but can't argue with the numbers.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
zrwon
4th Gear
If it scrubs really bad, you may want to pull up till it touches then back up 6 inches and if your front wheels are far enough inside, you might have to drive on a couple of 2x10s and see if you can clear it that way, when there's a will there is always a way, I have done this in a car trailer, I actually had to have 2 layers of 2x10s the first one was about a foot from the door and the other one was about 10 inches further in, I had done this for a different reason but the idea is the same, I wanted to be able to open the drivers door above the wheel well of the trailer and through the side trailer door so I could get in and out of the car without crawling out the window and it worked.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:13 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Good tip. I might have to try that! Wish I would have known about this potential issue right after my house was built...then I could've had the contractor rip it out and get it right! Right now I have the Mazda and a 68 Bug in the garage and they aren't a problem. Oh well, like you said "where there's a will there's a way"!

Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The following is in my MINI brochure from the dealer. It doesn't make any comparisons, but it seems to be suggesting that MINI is better at clearance angle than most cars.

Last edited by rkw; 12-15-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 AM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The following is in my MINI brochure from the dealer. It doesn't make any comparisons, but it seems to be suggesting that MINI is better at clearance angle than most cars.

I guess that's why they use it in films where they need to go up and down stairs

Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zrwon
I guess that's why they use it in films where they need to go up and down stairs
Oh yes...I watched The Italian Job (again) the other night. I figure if they can bomb over that spillway in LA like they did I should have know problem ripping up my driveway into my garage!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Good news for those who care. I test drove a 2005 Cooper S today and took her home for a test drive up the driveway and into the garage. No clearance problems. Even though it's 1.2" lower than my Mazda 3s I had no contact and everything went smooth. Boy was that thing a blast to drive. We ripped all over the place for about 30 mins before we took her back to the dealer and said thanks for the test drive. Can't wait for my new one to show up. Just found out it's at the VDC with an estimated delivery date of 5/8/06!!! Woohooooooo!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:41 PM
roymo
2nd Gear
Too funny!

Our driveway's really steep too, so we did the same - found a used one to test drive, though we took care of that prior to ordering. Good thing too - once we'd driven an MCSC, we were hooked!
We need to take it at an angle with our MINI, but that was true for our Honda Accord too!
Be sure to come check out Puget Sound Mini Motoring Club (www.psmini.org) and join us for some events once you have your new MINI! Sounds like you're our kind of people!

Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by roymo
Too funny!

Our driveway's really steep too, so we did the same - found a used one to test drive, though we took care of that prior to ordering. Good thing too - once we'd driven an MCSC, we were hooked!
We need to take it at an angle with our MINI, but that was true for our Honda Accord too!
Be sure to come check out Puget Sound Mini Motoring Club (www.psmini.org) and join us for some events once you have your new MINI! Sounds like you're our kind of people!
Roymo,

Sounds like we think alike! Driving that S definitely felt good and just reinforced everthying I had hoped for in the Mini. We actually joined PSMINI about a month or so ago. Went up to Casecade Mall to see the Minis (and other cars) gather for the Tulip ralley. Wish we would have had our car for that. We are definitely going to try and make the Winged Victory drive down south as we should definitely have our car in time for that!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I currently have summer tires with a diameter 1/2 inch less than my winter tires . . . and I scrape some speed bumps on my routes which I didn't when it was colder. So a little ground clearance can be gained that way. Your test vehicle could give you unfounded confidence if it had different tires than your actual MINI.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
wildfamily
3rd Gear
Good point Bluebonnet. I'll be sure to still make the first approach cautiously. . We get to pick her up on Saturday morning. Can't wait!

Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
the issue might be the point where the underbracing bolts to the body, just ahead of the rear wheels. It rubs our friend's four post Bendpak lift when moving it on or off....not much you can do, but stack some cardboard under the ramps to ease the angle some.

we're using 215/45/17 tires which are taller than the stock ratio, so it should give us a 1/4" or so of extra clearance.