R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Best Bluetooth in the Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Bluetooth in the Cabrio?

I did a quick search and never saw this question answered, and most of the threads were a year old.

Has anyone found a good Bluetooth headset to use in the Cabrio? I've tried three so far, and only one was so-so. (I really want a handsfree kit installed, but something tells me that'd be a waste of time, especially from the old threads here.)

Treo Headset: Very comfy but very bad with wind noise. Did better with the top up and sunroof open though.
Motorola H500: Fairly comfy but bad sound quality, even with the top up and the sunroof open. I had the most voice-recognition problems with this headset as well.
Jabra JX10: LOVE the size, very comfortable, most of the time I forgot it was even there! Good sound with the top down, but still not GREAT. Of the three, this is my favorite, but I still think there may be something better out there.

So I'm open to forking out some cash to try some other recommendations! And if anyone has successfully installed a handsfree kit that works well with the top down, let me know! (I REALLY want to make use of those phone buttons on the steering wheel! Don't ya hate a button you can't use?!? They should just mark it "Do not push", it's just as bad!)

Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Hmm... I"m interested as well but haven't found anything that helps.

I have a bone mic headset that works.

I think there is some hope for this one:
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=133
although not available yet

Nextlink is also working on a Bluetooth bone mic. I don't think anything else is going to work in the cabrio. The other thing to do is to try something with a boom mic and then put a big wind screen on it. I use to work on a helicopter and the foam windscreens cut down quite a bit of noise when we had the doors open.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:13 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Ok wow... that Motorola is TINY! Perfect! So what Bone Mic do you use today? I didn't know they were out yet! As for the windscreen and boom... Yeah, I know those will work. I just didn't want to look like Janet Jackson while driving down the freeway... I'm afraid a boob might pop out.

And thanks for responding... I was beginning to think I was the only MINI driver that won't try to drive holding a phone!

Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
http://www.nextlink.to/

I have an Invisio that I used to use with my old phone (mini audio plug)

But I switched to a Motorola Slvr and it only has a mini usb jack so I can't use it anymore.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:40 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
I'e not tried it yet, but I got my wife a Jabra BT500 from ebay. It fits into your ear, so I'm guessing that hearing won't be an issue. Not sure how the speaker attachment will do. I'll let you know when we get it tested.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My bro has miniblue on order, it picks up your voice via your inner canal instead of thru your mouth. I'm gonna check it out in my cabrio and I'll post my thougths. Last I heard, it's supposed to be out in may

Old 04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
I want a MiniBlu! I can't find them anywhere! Anybody know where I can put in an order for one? With almost any headset, I can hear the caller just fine, but they can't ever hear me with the top down. The MiniBlu may just be the answer.

I gotta admit though, it sure would be nice to be able to use those phone buttons on the steering wheel... But there's no way the MINI kit would actually work with the top down.

Thanks ThomB and Snooter... keep us posted!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just called motorola, no exact release date, but I just signed up on their website to be emailed when it's available. the tech on the phone thougth it would be by june. I'll keep ya posted

Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
I'm just looking forward to having a Bluetooth capable phone.

Actually I'm probably going to be upgrading my phone in the next few days, then it'll be time to shop for headsets.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Mishka! For shame! Don't tell me you had them retrofit Gromit with an 8-track as well?

Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
8 Track?? What's that????

I'm trying to figure out how to keep the 45's from skipping when I hit bumps! That is SO aggravating.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:10 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Very Good Annelle!

I actually chuckled out loud at that one!

You have Joke-Probation Immunity for 30 minutes.

Use it wisely. Time begins...... NOW!