R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Convertible Wind Blocker

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Wind Blocker

Convertible MINI owners - question for ya:

Is the optional wind blocker worth the $$ the factory/dealer wants for it? My wife decided that the next MCS would be a convertible (MCSCa, as it were) and we're pretty much decided on options, except for the wind blocker. The MINI USA web site shows it as a $425 option - I think this money could be better spent on other goodies.

Any thoughts, pro or con? TIA.

Bill

Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Overpriced

I agree with you that the money is better spent elsewhere. I drive with the top down all the time and wind is not a problem - of course I have short hair.

Mike

Old 06-09-2005, 08:48 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it does make a big difference in how much air pulls forward into the front seats from the rear. When its warm in the spring through falll its not too bad. But if you like driving with the top down on a cool, crisp day (35-40 degF) it makes a HUGE difference. One of our local dealers offers a discount to our local group members and it made the price a little more tolerable. I'd give it a in spite of the price.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
speaking for a third party with a MCSC

They think the wind guard is a required accessory. They like it so much they are happy they even had to spend the money, but really if it is that essential, perhaps it should have been included with the car.... Have no idea why it is soooooo expensive....

me, I just drive a 2005 MCS hardtop.....

Old 06-09-2005, 10:37 PM
reddbear
1st Gear
I debated getting the wind blocker for weeks after I got my Cabrio. Then, I road in a car WITH one. That changed my mind instantly. $425? Yes, expensive, but well worth the money. It can make a big difference if you are trying to have a conversation with your front passenger while the top is open.

It is also a remarkably well-engineered piece of equipment. It folds up and stores neatly in your boot, should you want to put more people in the back seat...

Recommended without question!

Cheers,

-Jay Redd
'reddbear'

Old 06-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
The wind deflector helps considerably. Especially, like BidiMINI explained, "if you like driving with the top down on a cool, crisp day" or night (which for me is anything below 62 degrees).
On another thread or forum somewhere there was a comment about $425 being terribly expensive for a coat hanger with panty hose stretched across it. I agree. I also agree that it should be included with the car.

However, I paid the $425, rationalized it away with one of those "you only live once" thoughts, and rarely drive top-up. And I haven't lost a hat. Yet.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Check eBay..there are some for sale for much less than $400.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:33 AM
racoman
2nd Gear
05MCSC The windblocker works with the windows up or down....definitely worth the $$$ but buy it on line from Sterling Mini for $325!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes - it's a bit expensive but I LOVE it... Got ours from MINI of Sterling in December at their intro. special price of $299. As posted above, it's a tad bit more now - but still cheaper than most other places unless you happen to come across one on ebay...:smile:

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS

Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple in teh Sin City club have a convertible (Steve and Dee) and seem to have the top down all the time. Steve had the top down in the snow on the Mount Charleston run at AMVIV. They say that the wind blocker is worth every penny and then some.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
jonoanddee
2nd Gear
choked at the $387.00 i paid, but it is excellent. best 400 i spent on my car as far as practicality goes

Old 06-10-2005, 03:03 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The wind deflector really reduces turbulence in the "cockpit". This means smoother air flow, which results in fewer loose things flying about, and much-reduced wind noise. It's good to help maintain temperature control in the cabin, if that's an issue for you, and it's a really good way to gently ease a potnetially uncomfortable codriver into the wonderful world of open motoring!

If you always drive with passengers in the back, forget it. If you'd like to be able to drive topless when your passenger would prefer a less-intense experience, it's definitely the way to go! Worth every penny, ridiculous though the price may seem. Has anyone come up with a use for the carrying case yet? It's too big to keep stowed in the boot, and too weird to use as a carry-bag for other stuff.

_Dave_

Old 06-11-2005, 06:17 PM
rsvogt
1st Gear
Wind screen

The wind screen is terrific. It makes a big difference. I too felt $400 was too much and bought it from Sterling Mini. A much better deal. Go for it.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
I'll ditto the others.

I went for a couple of months in my convertible without the wind deflector before purchasing it. I definitely think it makes a difference. I didn't notice the difference as much at first; but if I take it out for some reason, then I definitely notice the difference without it...

Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Same here I didn't get it right away but have found it really makes a difference in the wind turbulence which helps with conversation, stereo listening & driving "California style" with the A/C on MINI of St Louis gave me a discount

Lois

Old 06-12-2005, 06:45 PM
wedge
3rd Gear
Wind blocker

I have a Cabrio S and I asked our sales person and he said it definitely was not worth it. He said you get the same effect by driving with the windows up.

I find the wind penetration to be minor compared to some of the other convertibles I have had. Spend your money elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:11 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Bought wind deflectors for both our cabrios. $ 400.00 is a little too high. I got mone from a dealer in Co (thru E-Bay) for abour $320.00 a piece. Good investment. Don't bother with the checker one ; Against the sunlight it's hard to see the design and it doesn't justify the extra $50.00.

MD STREGA2

Old 06-12-2005, 07:58 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wedge
I have a Cabrio S and I asked our sales person and he said it definitely was not worth it. He said you get the same effect by driving with the windows up.

I find the wind penetration to be minor compared to some of the other convertibles I have had. Spend your money elsewhere.
Well, I've been living with mine for a couple of months (~3000 miles) now, and the wind deflector definitely provides a benefit beyond what you get with the windows up.

I've said this elsewhere, and will repeat it: The convertible is about having choices, and the wind deflector increases the number of those choices. $400 is too much, but I paid it, and would do so again.

_Dave_

Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
GeminiSun
2nd Gear
On advice from a stlmini.com member we got the wind deflector and it was the best money we spent so far. That wind deflector really cuts down on the amount of wind going between the seats. It also allows topless motoring down to around 40 degrees here in the St Louis area.

As soon as the temps started rising - the deflector is put away.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love mine, I noticed while pricing out my Mini cuckoo clock that different dealer where charging different amounts. I paid $425 but saw one dealer had it listed at $375.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
The wind deflector is a MUST. Expensive... but your are paying for the concept not for the material itself. I paid around $325.00 for mine but I ordered 2 and additional items for the 2 Little Sisters - Stella and Streghina

Just a quick note: Don't leave the wind deflector up when your top is up as well... you'll see nothing !!

MD STREGA2
22 GS

Old 04-12-2006, 10:56 AM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
Speaking of Wind deflectors, mine frequently folds down on its own if there is a strong crosswind, something about the gust dynamics...

But I was thinking; that something like what is on the Porsche Boxter might work better...

i.e figure out someway to attach wind fabric going up between the front seats and then across between the headrests...

thoughts?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I finally picked one up from ebay from a very nice woman who sold her Cabrio. I paid $300 s/h included. What a deal She was happy to hear I was actually going to use it instead of trying to resell it for more money.

I've used it quite a bit over the last few weeks and I would definitely recommend owning one.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:06 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wedge
Ahhhh but that isn't really open motoring. I refuse to ride with the top down & the windows up I mean what's the point except for looking cheesy

Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMac2005
I finally picked one up from ebay from a very nice woman who sold her Cabrio. I paid $300 s/h included. What a deal She was happy to hear I was actually going to use it instead of trying to resell it for more money.

I've used it quite a bit over the last few weeks and I would definitely recommend owning one.
MorrisTown Mini on eBay stores has been carrying the wind deflector for $295+shipping for a while now. Brand new. I bought one and the service was great.

Phil

Quick Reply: R52 Convertible Wind Blocker