R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cabrio and visibility issues in '06

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:19 AM
CeliaMarie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabrio and visibility issues in '06

I still haven't gotten a production date on the cabrio I ordered on 4/17.

What is the possibility of MINI addressing the poor visibility of the cabrio in the '06 version? I'm considering suspending the order for now, (and getting more money together for the DP) - seeing what the new colors will look like, and hoping maybe they're working on the design of the rear window.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:29 AM
indimini
4th Gear
I don't think there's anything that is being done to address the visibility issue. I've found that if you adjust your door mirrors properly, there isn't much of a problem -- except when backing out of a parking space when the top's up and you're sandwiched between a couple of SUV's.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by indimini
I don't think there's anything that is being done to address the visibility issue. I've found that if you adjust your door mirrors properly, there isn't much of a problem -- except when backing out of a parking space when the top's up and you're sandwiched between a couple of SUV's.
Couldn't agree more! I adjusted my mirrors and the rest became very comfortable in less than two days of driving.

To be honest, I'm more comfortable and confident making a lane change in my new MCc than I did in my Saturn! All because I set my mirrors correctly for the first time

Old 05-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct Mirror Setting?

And what is the correct mirror setting for driver & passenger side?

Old 05-07-2005, 06:58 AM
danmcg
2nd Gear
In the past two cars that I've been driving this is what I did.

1) Sit in your normal driving position and lean your head almost against the left window of the car.
2) Adjust your driver side mirror until you can just see the edge of your car in the right side of the mirror.
3) Lean over to the right now. Don't be dumb and try to get over as far as you can. I just lean about as far as I did in the opposite direction.
4) Adjust your passenger side mirror until you can just see the edge of your car in the left side of the mirror. (This mirror allows for a little more play in where you put it becuase of the convexity (?))

What this does is basically eliminate your blind spots. It is kinda akward at first getting used to, but I found it way easier to drive on the highway now. I use my rearview mirror to see (wait for it..... wait for it......) what is BEHIND me! And my side view mirrors when adjusted like this show me (who would ever think.........) what is BESIDE me! For some strange reason it seems like this is how mirrors were meant to be used. I used to have them adjusted so I could see behind the car with the side and rear view mirrors. Duh.

Don't know the issues with the Cabrio, 'cause I've only ever driven one with the top down and I could see everything!

Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by danmcg
In the past two cars that I've been driving this is what I did.

1) Sit in your normal driving position and lean your head almost against the left window of the car.
2) Adjust your driver side mirror until you can just see the edge of your car in the right side of the mirror.
3) Lean over to the right now. Don't be dumb and try to get over as far as you can. I just lean about as far as I did in the opposite direction.
4) Adjust your passenger side mirror until you can just see the edge of your car in the left side of the mirror. (This mirror allows for a little more play in where you put it becuase of the convexity (?))

Don't know the issues with the Cabrio, 'cause I've only ever driven one with the top down and I could see everything!
I have had my mirrors adjusted like that for many years.But I still do a qiuck shoulder check in traffic
My test drive in a Cabrio was the same,top down.My dealer always like me to take a car,any car out for a test drive if I'm waiting for my car.I think it's because I ask too many hard questions

Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CeliaMarie
I still haven't gotten a production date on the cabrio I ordered on 4/17.

What is the possibility of MINI addressing the poor visibility of the cabrio in the '06 version? I'm considering suspending the order for now, (and getting more money together for the DP) - seeing what the new colors will look like, and hoping maybe they're working on the design of the rear window.
Celia:

You have far more patience than most. The rear window isn't the problem, its the roll bars and blind spots caused with the top up. Actual driving is not a problem. As others have said, it is reversing that lends itself to a "pure faith" position. But I haven't hit anything yet and remember, you are supposed to have your top down 90% of the time.

Besides, who needs mirrors when you are going faster than everyone else!

Just say no to the CHP,
Mike

Old 05-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto....and I've been in the habit for many years of backing in to parking spaces, the driveway, etc. Just makes for a less stressful exit especially in a crowded parking lot or like you said above, if you're sandwiched between a couple SUV's.

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Arie"
05' HB/W MCS - delivery next week

Old 05-07-2005, 08:34 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've found that if you adjust your door mirrors properly, there isn't much of a problem.
I agree completely!!! Visibility in the cabrio is somewhat diminished, but a problem?....no. And a deal breaker?......not a chance!!! I test drove a couple of cabrios yesterday in order to evaluate this exact point. Now keep in mind I've been driving a MINI for over two years...the cabrio really ain't all that different. Coming from another car, yeah, it might take some getting used to, but if you (1) adjust your driving position correctly (a good idea anyway), and (2) adjust the mirrors correctly (also a good idea anyway), you've got 90% of what a hard top MINI offers. And remember...with the roof down you've got a gloroius 200%!!!!!

I have to admit, when I was driving w/ the top up, I felt a little closed in. "Hmmmm," I thought, "why is this?" Then it dawned on me....so simple...the interior roof is black, and on my Cooper its light grey! I had heard of a similar phenomenon w/ the darker anthracite headliner. Once I realized this all my concerns, queries, and inhibitions about top down motoring completely evaporated!!

PS...I LOVED the 5-speed Cooper version. Extra weight = sluggish performance?? I think not!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 AM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
All convertibles have visibility issues. Redesigning the back window wouldn't make much difference; it's the rear seatrests and rollbars that obstruct the view back there anyway.

A convertible just requires a little more caution. It's a fantastic car. Don't delay - keep that order in!

Old 05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
All convertibles have visibility issues. It's a fact of life.

The mini has the same easy fix all the others do though... put the top down. IMO, there's nothing to address, and certainly not for one production year.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:45 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Haven't had one problem with mine. About 2 hours to get used to what ever blind spots. Plus I take an approach from a scene in the movie Canonball Run:

"What's behind us is not in front of us."

Motor on!

Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Delaying purchase to have a different color choice or so you can save more DP seem valid reasons to me. The top design may not change much until the 2007 model and even then probably not that much.

The MINI's convertible top is amazing because it has 3 positions, looks jaunty when down, and doesn't gobble up precious trunk space. It suits the appearance of the car. Take a look at the Aston Martin with top down (or up) or the BMW 6 series with top up to realize how lucky MCC owners are.

As others here have posted the trick is in the positioning of the 3 mirrors. They should be set so that you can see behind and the two adjancent lanes by shifting your head and shoulders side to side when you drive (not rotating your head over your shoulders unless in reverse).

Tough decision. Best wishes.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:01 PM
CeliaMarie
2nd Gear
Thank you all for your opinions! I'm feeling a hell of a lot better about it now! (I test drove with the top down, I just 'assumed' the problem was with the top up when I read some comments somewhere here..)

anyway, I've loved the dark silver since I first saw it, and I don't think that the 'royal grey' will make me wish I had waited.

As far as the downpayment, I had planned on using a trade-in and dp to constitute 50% of the cost of the car. I guess I could always lease, and use the 4 yrs to continue to save for the final payment. I like to own my cars.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond!

Old 05-07-2005, 07:09 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Some have installed blind spot mirrors on their driver and passenger side mirrors to improve visibility. Check out this thread for details:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=39662

Old 05-07-2005, 08:32 PM
danmcg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
I have had my mirrors adjusted like that for many years.But I still do a qiuck shoulder check in traffic
True. Even though I have my mirrors adjusted like this I still look over my shoulder when I change lanes. I guess it's just force of habit...:smile:

Old 05-08-2005, 09:45 AM
TomAiello
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jds
I agree completely!!! Visibility in the cabrio is somewhat diminished, but a problem?....no. And a deal breaker?......not a chance!!!
It was pretty much a deal breaker for us. We test drove a couple cabrios and decided the next MINI will be a hard top. Just too hard to see past the roll bar, even with the top down.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:26 PM
bbih
1st Gear
roll bar replacements?

Is there any kind of replacement roll bar with better visibility?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
No replacement roll bars, at least from MINI. If you never have rear passengers, you might try removing the rear headrest assemblies.

On the general issue of rear visibility, an extra wide angle right side mirror helps a lot. Check these threads:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96606
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=49390

If you have Navigation, an ideal but expensive remedy is a rear view camera:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/..._camera_review
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=53297

Old 02-12-2006, 05:59 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I always try to back into spaces when shopping and especially at home(I have a really long driveway), definitely reduces stress levels! The roll bars aren't a problem for me either. I was concerned originally when I test drove my cabrio, but I've learned to adjust. I had more difficulty adjusting when I limo tinted the rear window on my previous ride . Plus, I have the reverse sensor as an added feature. Helps with stationary objects. Works great when parallel parking too (definitely a lost art in the 'burbs).

Can't wait for spring to put the top down!!!

Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 AM
bbih
1st Gear
rkw, thanks for the links. I just got my mini last night, and my sole experience with the blind spots came from driving four hours of interstate highway in the dark while it was snowing, so perhaps I'll not be as concerned about it after a bit more driving. I'm used to towing a horse trailer where I have no visibility through the back at all, so I know what mirrors can do, but I wasn't expecting quite the same thing from a sports car! Also, I'm glad I found these forums, because it looks like they will be a great resource. So again, thanks.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Enjoy your new MINI convertible! With your horse trailer experience, you'll be doing much better than the rest of us. I do recommend very highly a Multivex mirror for the right side. When the top is up, the wide expanse of cloth makes certain angles difficult to see no matter how the standard mirror is adjusted. The Multivex is $33 and has been big help for me to see everything on the right side. See: http://www.safetymirrorsonline.com/html/home.htm