Whistling when roof is closed!!! - North American Motoring

R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

Whistling when roof is closed!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Neutral

Whistling when roof is closed!!!

Hi all, first post.
I have an 05 Cooper Convertible that I've had for about two months now. ((I love it! My first Mini died a horrible, wet death)).
Anyways, about three days ago my car started making a HORRIBLE whistling noise. It only happens when the soft top is closed and when I'm driving over 40 mph. It SEEMS to be coming from the drivers side, right above the sun visor. There's no leaks in the rain or anything like that. it also seems like the roof is a little bit loose on the left side compared to the right (a little wiggly). Is there an easy fix for that that WON'T involve an expensive trip to the dealership?

Any suggestions??? THANKS!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 AM
5th Gear

My only thoughts would be that your sunroof section might have been knocked out of allignment. I haven't heard of this happening without a cable snap, but there are exceptions to every rule.
Does your roof meet the headliner evenly when you close the sunroof section?

If not, the midroof motor might have slipped a notch or two on the driver's side cable.

If that is what happened, you will need to remove the midroof motor & using a flat head screwdriver to tweek the cables (Push the driver's side forward or pull the passenger's back) untill everything is paralell again. It might take some trial & error to get it back exactly.

I hope it's nothing too serious.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Neutral

Everything seems even when open and closed, we only noticed the wiggle when we removed the plastic pieces on the side bar spots ((Forgive me not knowing the technical terms!)). It opens and closes completely without any problem as well.

I'm taking it into the dealership today to find out why my service engine light is on ((thanks to the beauty of BMW, we can't get it checked at Autozone)), so I might ask them what they know about that, and just not have them service it.

I'll have my fiance try to tweak the cables later though, that sounds like a reasonable fix.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Neutral

I have developed the same problem with my 05 cabrio. What was your fix?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Neutral

We ended up doing the simplest thing we could think of (and cheapest, considering Mini). We bought a roll of weather stripping and lined the roof opening (over the windshield). It's not the prettiest fix but it sure as hell beats the whistle

Best of luck
Old 08-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Neutral

My first post! Just got my car and love it! Regret not buying one sooner.
My only beef is the same whistle that RikoTeki describes. His post was 6 years ago...
Has anyone come up with a solution that doesn't involve adding weatherstrip? I have to take the car on a 400 mile trip and I'm using painter's tape until I can get it fixed properly.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPMini View Post
My first post! Just got my car and love it! Regret not buying one sooner.
My only beef is the same whistle that RikoTeki describes. His post was 6 years ago...
Has anyone come up with a solution that doesn't involve adding weatherstrip? I have to take the car on a 400 mile trip and I'm using painter's tape until I can get it fixed properly.
Welcome!

Introduce yourself in the 1st gear forum and post up some pics. We love pics and storys about mini's.

Check out the videos in this thread- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tible-top.html

You don't need to take it very far apart, just take the motor out to adjust the cables. Be careful putting the motor back in, those bolts thread into aluminum and strip out easy. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H (WarDoc) View Post
Welcome!

Introduce yourself in the 1st gear forum and post up some pics. We love pics and storys about mini's.

Check out the videos in this thread- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tible-top.html

You don't need to take it very far apart, just take the motor out to adjust the cables. Be careful putting the motor back in, those bolts thread into aluminum and strip out easy. Don't ask me how I know.
Tim - thanks for the fast, helpful reply! I'll give it a try. I will definitely post some photos of my car!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikoTeki View Post
We ended up doing the simplest thing we could think of (and cheapest, considering Mini). We bought a roll of weather stripping and lined the roof opening (over the windshield). It's not the prettiest fix but it sure as hell beats the whistle

Best of luck
I had a similar issue with my hardtop. It was the windshield seal. Replaced the windshield (not expensive), no more issues. Some insurance companies will cover it with no deductible as it is a safety issue.

On the convertible, make sure the noise is not coming from the drivers window where it meets the windshield and top. Push against the top forward portion and see if the noise changes. If so, rubber seal or window needs some adjustment (there is a pocket on the outside corner of the window seal which can help with that adjustment).

Regards,
Jerry
Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Neutral

Same problem with my 2005 Mini convertible!

I just bought my best friends 2005 Mini convertible. He bought it new in 2005. The arms did not latch properly, and he always drove it with the top up. I had the dealer put new arms on and repair the top. That is when the whistling started! Took me 5 months to figure out what was wrong. The top extends about a half inch too far and pushes the windshield molding away from the inside molding, creating the whistle. Push up on the upper molding that the sun visor is screwed to! The whistling will stop! If you bump the retraction button quickly, the top backs up about half an inch and the whistling stops! Not the perfect fix but I can live with it!!!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:51 AM

Thinking there may be some adjustment to the amount the sunroof/targa top closes. ECS is the Vert Guru when it comes to knowledge and parts.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Yep, i am here. The final position when you close it needs to be adjusted. You can do this by closing the top all the way, or as much as it can be. Pop the roof motor cover off. Remove the couple screws and pop the drive motor out. Then with your hand push the top forward a hair to it seal perfect on both sides. There will still be a small gap between the rooftop and the upper trim. But not on the top and the seal itself. Once its snug pop the motor back in. Dependant on how far its off. It can be only a couple teeth jump on that green cable in this link, that it actually moved. Then once the motor is in you are done.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tible-top.html

Also, a good time to condition the seals/weather stripping with gummi pflege.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-autosol-parts/autosol-rubber-care-gummi-pflege/6501kt/