How To How to Video: Repair the cable latches on a Mini Cooper Convertible top

Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 PM
tullid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Video: Repair the cable latches on a Mini Cooper Convertible top

Well, my 2005 MCS top broke again for the second time , and just like the first time the cables separated from the locking mechanism. This time I decided to record the entire repair in the hopes that if this happens to someone else ( i hope it doesn't) that they can use this as a reference to repair the latches and cables w/o breaking the bank in parts and labor.

After researching the best way to keep this from happening again, I came across this great product called J-B Weld, which some of you may already know about. With the right amount applied, the cables are never coming out from the latches again.

You will need several things for the repair:
  • T20 and T30 torx bits
  • screwdriver, flat and phillips
  • wrenches, pliers
  • rags
  • J-B Weld (MUST USE GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES WITH THIS)
  • degreaser or Comet or some sort of cleaning agent to remove grease, toothbrush
  • q-tips or small baby bottle wire brush
  • 4 to 6 hours of time, preferably on a nice sunny day
I had to break the video into 4 parts, total length is about 45 minutes.

DISCLAIMER: If you attempt this repair and break something in the process, do not blame me. This is an advanced repair on the Mini Cooper Convertible. I'm not telling anyone to do this, and I'm only providing this information for educational purposes only. Any damage you do to your car is your own fault.

Also, sorry for all the jitter and handshaking of the camera during the recording, I was shooting the video with one hand and doing the repair with the other . I am in no way an expert videographer so don't hold some of the bad video parts against me

I am also going to apologize for using the term "locking mechanism" so many times in the video to describe several different parts . I didn't take the time to learn the proper names for the parts.

Here are the videos, parts 1 - 4:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

If anyone has any questions, please post them in this thread, I will try to help as best as possible.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mucho awesome!!!

Mine is working fine but is there a way to download these vids for future reference?

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadenza
mucho awesome!!!

Mine is working fine but is there a way to download these vids for future reference?

Thanks!
Cad, double click on the video and it'll take you to youtube, then save that page in your Favorites. I have a whole list of youtube howto videos saved in my favorites....they are great for future reference.

Great videos tullid......these are in my favorites now.

The following users liked this post:
MiniBeemer (04-14-2022)
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Jon L
1st Gear
This is an excellent write-up and will also save it for the future. Just a couple questions though, 1) the 1 1/2 turns on the screw in the trunk, is that to release the locking mechanism? 2) if one decides to replace the entire sliding roof cable mechanism ($400+ in Real OEM) is that the way to do it? There is another post a little farther down about a failed sliding shoe and wonder if this video series might help with that fix as well. Another opportunity for JB Weld?

Jon
'06 MINI S/C

Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
ohbuga
Neutral
Thank you so much for posting this and taking the time share.

I have a similar problem with my roof but it broke a part of the sliding mechanism for the sun roof when the cable broke, when it was closing. Well I think the cable broke it at least broke upon being closed and broke a part of the sliding thing, and will now not go back.

Does anyone know what addition steps maybe needed when you have to replace the cable and mechanism?
Like where does the other end connect to?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
human_joshernaut
Neutral
Thanks for the detailed video. I've only got to the 8:45 mark on the first video but I can't seem to get it to open the second locking mechanism. I even started over so I can open the top with the motor. I'm stuck. Any advice would help a lot. Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM
topsecretdave
Neutral
Challenge disengaging sunroof lock mechanism mini cooper convertible

Great video! This is the best info I have been able to find so on this.

Can you supply some more detail on unlocking the sunroof locking mechanism? Specifically in the "part 1" video at 7min 55sec you are pushing on the black 'tab' to unlock and release the sunroof mechanism.

Realizing you are doing one handed video while working... the video stops here then restarts with the mechanism already opened.

When I push on the black tab it does not move back. Using a screwdriver and then a flat ended rod I have put some serious pressure on it and even bumped it hard with the palm of my hand and then a tapped with a mallet. No movement. Nada. It feels solid, like there is metal behind it.

Am I missing a step? Can you give more detail on what happens during the downtime in that spot in the video?

Does anyone else have any insight on this? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
woodstudio
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the videos

To save the video files in flv format to your computer you can use a free program called VideoCacheView. You first play them, then open the program and it finds them in the browser cache. I'm using Firefox.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Shazab Farooqui
Neutral
hey i need help with my top and i tried using your videos as reference! but um what my top does it that when i pushed the top down button it barely slides an inch back and then the sunroof motor sounds like its slipping and grinding! it doesnt close all the way either theres a tiny gap and im stuck!

Old 03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Lil Lewie
Neutral
Were you able to get the latch to release? I watched the video last night 3/29/2014 and got started on the disassemble. Could not make the latch open pushing on the black tab. Any help would be appreciated.

'05 S six speed convertible.

Ben
aka "lil Lewiw"

Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 PM
carnut17
Neutral
I have the same issue here. I watched the videos and I'm a little skeptical about doing such a complicated repair and then just fixing it with JB Weld. I really don't want to have to do it again when that fails. I can order the whole cable but unfortunately they only come in pairs - might as well do them both. Anyone know of a step-by-step article on how to replace the whole cable instead of just fixing the little crimp fitting? My Bentley manual doesn't cover it and I can't find it anywhere else.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
**For People that cannot see the video up top click here, the videos are on his playlist tullid1. ***

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoT...79YQzpMcfOPWwQ

Here are the cables : They come in pairs only. I don't have a step by step , but using these diagram / with the video above might help and here are the links to the parts to see what they look like before you make the repair. The cables are part # 54347174761 .

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nlatching.html

#14 in the diagram.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-28-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Zagatom
Neutral
Hello all fellow forum members!

First I would like to give a big to tullid for this awseome video DIY.

I have to change the cable & latch system on my 06 cooper s due to 2 plastic guides that are missing. I am wondering how do I remove the complete cable ? Do i just pull out the latch and cable and the push the new cable and hatch back?

I will follow the complete video, my top currently opens/closes fine, but I need to change the cable and latch, on the drivers side because it does not close firmly, and air comes in at high speeds on the drivers side.

tullid does not remove the cable (as he has no need to), but ho do I remove/install this piece (cable).

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM
carnut17
Neutral
Complicated

I was all set to do this repair, and the Bentley manual didn't even cover it. I emailed the BMW Club mechanic to ask the same question about replacing the cable. He advised not to try any convertible top repairs, even an experienced DIY mechanic. My local independent shop ended up doing the job, replacing both cables. The job was 4 hours of labor - not too bad.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Zagatom
Neutral
Not sure it's that complicated, I found documentation on the matter (Replacement of slide plate with drive cable). I wanted to know if anyone has done it. The documentation sounds pretty easy.

After doing what tullid documented it says:

Pull gear (1) with / without the drive shafts/cable off the guide post.

to install the new cable:

Insert the drive shaft (1) into the rack and slide.
Slide the slider (2) onto the rack.

Fold the crank (3) flat. Crank and a drive shaft to form one line (broken line).

Push the slider (4) until it stops, and thus align it parallel to the opposite side.

I also attached a couple of pics

If any one did this cable swap please let me know, as I am performing this task sometime next week and would like any additional info.

Attached Thumbnails How to Video: Repair the cable latches on a Mini Cooper Convertible top-1097845.png   How to Video: Repair the cable latches on a Mini Cooper Convertible top-1097847.png  
Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Zagatom
Neutral
No help? Did no one change the cable itself?? Will I be the first ?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Zagatom
Neutral
Well, I successfully changed the left latch complete with cable today. Actually very very easy task to do, I followed tullid's DIY video for repairing the cable as a guide line on how to dismantle everything.

For those of you that want to change the latch complete with cable, just follow the DIY video for repairing the cable, and instead of repairing the cable, just pull out the cable completely and insert the new cable with latch, that it

Took me around 1:30 hour to remove and install the new cable/latch.

Now my top closes perfectly and got rid of the wind noise

Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 PM
kahunatrinidad
Neutral
Zagatom,

I'm going to tackle the same repair on my '05 in a couple weeks. Did it really only take you 1:30 hrs? tullid estimated 4-5 hrs? You make it sound even easier than doing the JB weld repair?

Appreciate your post! Would appreciate any other advice you may have?

Either way, I'll try to post how it went with pics.

Thanks All!

Originally Posted by Zagatom
Well, I successfully changed the left latch complete with cable today. Actually very very easy task to do, I followed tullid's DIY video for repairing the cable as a guide line on how to dismantle everything.

For those of you that want to change the latch complete with cable, just follow the DIY video for repairing the cable, and instead of repairing the cable, just pull out the cable completely and insert the new cable with latch, that it

Took me around 1:30 hour to remove and install the new cable/latch.

Now my top closes perfectly and got rid of the wind noise

Old 01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
amagnelli
Neutral
Great thread, but I have a slightly different problem

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this discussion. I have a 2005 convertible and the hydraulics for opening and closing the top work fine, but the sunroof will not close. When trying to close the sunroof it travels an inch or so forward and then jams. The two sides appear to be traveling in parallel but having removed the sunroof motor I can tell that the driver side cable is the one that is jammed somehow. I can manually move the passenger side easily with the motor removed, but the driver side stops dead when it moves forward sufficiently to fully engage the top's locking mechanism at the windshield.

I'm totally game for going through the process of replacing the cables if that's the problem, but I'm wondering if any of you have an insight into what else might be the issue.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Check the rails for crud and dirt jamming the sliders. If the cables break. when you open it , one side will start and the other will jam. Take those inter trim plastic off to expose whats going on. Top and on the inside. #9 and #10.

Since it opens correctly , but will not close. Check the black sliders( front part of the cables, and the rail itself. Clean them and grease them .

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-16-2015, 04:13 PM
thismrwright
Neutral
I have a 2005 Mini Convertible, 4 cylinder. I just repaired the convertible cable on the right side because it had come off & jammed and wouldn't open. I used Tullid's videos and they are awesome. I've always been a huge fan of JB Weld. BUT...Now my top only opens to the sunroof position and the light blinks on the button. I checked and double checked both switches in the trunk and they are both fine. I even screwed and unscrewed the little screw in the trunk that was mentioned in Tullid's video and still nothing. I though perhaps it was a computer issue so i disconnected the negative battery cable in hopes to reset the computer and still doesn't work. The top opens perfectly but will not go past the sunroof position. I'm broke and was going to be selling the car this week till this just happened. Ugh! Any ideas of how I can fix this? Please!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Did you check the micro switch in the upper top ? Its up by the motor for the sunroof on the passenger side I believe.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 PM
rubalemar
Neutral
Issue with locking mechanism

Originally Posted by human_joshernaut
Thanks for the detailed video. I've only got to the 8:45 mark on the first video but I can't seem to get it to open the second locking mechanism. I even started over so I can open the top with the motor. I'm stuck. Any advice would help a lot. Thanks again.
Great video! However, I too am having the exact same issue as quoted above. I was able to unlock one of the locking mechanisms but am unable to unlock the other. I cannot seem to locate the black "tab" on the locking mechanism, but I am unsure how that could have disappeared in the first place if that's the case.

Also, it appears the second locking mechanism that I cannot open broke into two large parts. They are still both fitted on the track and still form a whole unit completely similar to the other mechanism that was able to be unlocked. How likely is it that this is the cause of it not moving?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Post a pic of what you are unlocking and I will try to help.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:23 PM
piresmini
Neutral
Cable not moving freely.

Hi. 2005 Mini Convertible.
I followed your video and successfully replaced both cables. However, on activation, one side did not move. I did notice on istallation that same side was not moving freely ... Took some exertion to move it.
Does it need lubrication? Is it possible for it to get caught up outside the channel? Any thoughts? Coincidently it is the same side that originally broke .... Cable disconnected as in your video.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To How to Video: Repair the cable latches on a Mini Cooper Convertible top