R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI Shock Absorber Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 02:05 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m with MINI USA. We’re so sorry to read you are concerned about the improvement to the MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S shock absorbers. MINI USA strives for a balance between customer satisfaction and continued improvements to our car.

We know our owners treasure that Go-Kart like handling, so we devoted months of engineering time to address your requests and still deliver the performance you expect. The revised suspension set-up will allow for a more compliant ride, yet it will maintain your car's outstanding handling characteristics. Your MINI will handle as magnificently as ever.

The earlier suspension was not faulty in any way. This evolution is merely an improvement. MINI USA recognizes that superb handling is a key feature, and we assure you that the new suspension will deliver a very satisfying performance.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:09 PM
sram24
3rd Gear
Can you provide any hard numbers on how this "new suspension" handles compared to the Sport Suspension Plus on the S?

I can certainly attempt to trust that MINI has best intentions to ensure that the handling is not affected, but most people will not be convinced my words.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:19 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Hello MINI Division,

thanks for providing feedback on an issue that appears to be important to many owners, and most of all future owners.
As posted by some, it is certainly possible to improve a suspension, tweak it some more. However, many of us are concerned about this for two reasons:

1) we have heard that this change will apply to the North American market only. Is this true, and if so, why would an improvement not be made available to other markets?

2) The timing of this release, after the JDP survey results, and the statement that this was a response to complaints about a stiff ride, also contributed to the worries of some of us MINIacs.

Could you address the above two points?

On an unrelated issue:
could you enlighten us on the chances of MINI addressing the windshield issue:
cracks (which supposedly are not an issue on 03 models but have been reported by many 03 owners), as well as the soft glass resulting in many chips.

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-15-2003, 02:30 PM
qamper
1st Gear
I can't tell you how upset that I am. I really thought of cancelling my order because of this and looking for a used one. I ordered a Cooper "S" because it has a stiff ride and suspension. This is absolutely ridiculous. Even though I'm keeping my order now I'll have to change shocks to get the ride I, and apparently a heck of a lot others, ride that I desire. Squishy, soft ride is people who buy Lincolns or Cadillacs.

This has felt like an arrow piercing my enthusiasm and anitcipation for my "S". Fix the windshield problem but don't mess with the ride!

Old 05-15-2003, 02:35 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's wonderfully refreshing to know that the word is getting out and that MINI is listening. However, I, myself am concerned about several issues:

1) If the change is that much better, why are you not changing ALL MINI's? Just a release to the North American owners will either dissappoint the North American owners or upset everyone else.

2) Why were future owners not informed? I test drove a MINI and ordered based on that test drive. You have information on everyone that would/is affected. Some type of notification should have been in order. Now, I will be getting a car that does not handle like I expected.

3) Although J.D. Powers is a reputible company, it should be obvious by now that there is a very large database of users that you could have surveyed before making this change......

-Rob

Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 PM
sram24
3rd Gear
Right on.

I am in the same boat as the last two posts. Actually having serious second thoughts about ordering my MCS tomorrow.

I would like to know from a numbers standpoint, how this will affect my handling.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
par4bmw
2nd Gear
If you really found a way to provide a softer ride and keep handling equal by just changing the shock absorbers, kudos to BMW. I find this hard to believe since it is only being done in NA. A change in suspension design, sure, but absorbers only?

Old 05-16-2003, 01:14 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI USA. A few of you are asking whether or not this improvement is world wide or just offered in the USA. FYI, the shock absorber improvement will be in all new MINIs worldwide. Again, we want to reassure you that this change will in no way effect the unrivaled handling inherent in the MINI Cooper and Cooper S. If you have any questions, you can always reach us at (866) ASK MINI.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>I'm with MINI USA. A few of you are asking whether or not this improvement is world wide or just offered in the USA. FYI, the shock absorber improvement will be in all new MINIs worldwide. Again, we want to reassure you that this change will in no way effect the unrivaled handling inherent in the MINI Cooper and Cooper S. If you have any questions, you can always reach us at (866) ASK MINI.
>>

Thanks for the information. I'm begining to feel a little more at ease about this.

Old 05-16-2003, 04:03 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
MiniDivision, what build months did this change go effect in?

Old 05-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINIDivision: Great to have you come on and let us know about this. I already have my MINI, but so many people seemed so concerned and it is great to hear some positive news that this is an improvement and will not decrease handling characteristics for the newer cars.

Maybe I should have waited. . . .tee hee!

Old 05-16-2003, 04:33 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Apparently , you can make the suspension more compliant yet just as stiff when required. I have never experienced it firsthand but I always hear about how this or that aftermarket suspension can lower the ride height or make a car handle constant smaller bumps more smoothly or stiffen up at higher suspension loads. Something like progressive rate springs or coilovers or something like that.

I have never been interested because it must cost so much to replace the whole suspension like that. Plus I would want some nice big wheels and big brakes as well. This could all cost...what...$5000...with labor...oh well...I can dream.