R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rear Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we said that we would pass your comments regarding rear fog lights along within MINI and we did. We’re happy to report that MINI is working diligently on getting you what you’ve asked for. While we are certain that our current rear lighting arrangement offers more than adequate signaling, we also really believe in doing our best to satisfy our customers. We’ve appreciated all you’ve had to say on this subject and because of what you’ve said, we’re all listening.

As these types of enhancements are compounded by regulatory and technical challenges, we ask that you remain as patient as you’ve been until we can update you further.

Thanks again for your support and your input.

Old 05-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Minae
2nd Gear
You know, although rear fog light sound pretty cool, what I want, and what I think a lot of MINI owners want, is just another functional switch in that one blank position. Heck, even a non-functional switch would be great! That blank spot looks dumb...

Old 05-13-2003, 11:17 AM
rocketpop
3rd Gear
I agree..... The blank spot it dumb looking.

"As these types of enhancements are compounded by regulatory and technical challenges, we ask that you remain as patient as you’ve been until we can update you further"

Seems like it took more work to remove the lights for the US version then just to let us have the same options as the UK.

Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
can I have the unit cost in cash since I did the mod myself?
...no switch though...awaiting the ejector seat option...

Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
Hooraaaaay!!!!

Thank you MINI USA for listening............ finally. Many of us do want functional rear fog lights. We believe it is an important safety feature, and means much more than just filling the empty switch location.

I had all but given up hope that MINI would come through on this. You've renewed my faith! I will wait patiently for the details to be worked out, but please keep us updated.

James

Old 05-13-2003, 11:43 AM
MiniRyno
1st Gear
My top bulbs on my rear lights don't do anything!
It would make sense for them to be reverse lights, I know there's already a reverse light low and center.
It seems a little strange that I have aset of lights on my car that doesn't do anything.
Has anyone noticed this???

Old 05-13-2003, 11:45 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
thank you mini.. of course, you could have saved yourself thousands of dollars by just making a single toggle unit and turning off the stuff we didn't order. it all runs by the computer in the car anyway... but I degress.. please also put out the aux unit for the radio! If a couple of guys on a messege board have it figured it out . MINI?BMW can too! just sell it for a good price afterall its a 10 dollar piece and you'd sell an aweful lot of them...adn whiel you listening... could you fix teh lurchign problem in the mini.. it coems back after the computer flashes.. out guess is that the adaptive driving compnent is regenerating the lurch thanks for listening.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:01 PM
OBXMini
2nd Gear
Without a doubt - those of who live in areas where fog is a factor of life - this is fabulous news...

There is way more to this than just an empty switch space and/or rigging your mini to have extra break lights with a paper-clip.

Thanks Mini - Waiting Patiently

Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 PM
C4
Banned
Thank you, thank you MINIUSA. You have earned yourself MAJOR Brownie points from this day forward.

Now please, make the CVT available in the Cooper 'S'. :smile:

Old 05-13-2003, 12:27 PM
2minis
6th Gear
What I want to know is...if MINIDivision is
really Mini Division or just some teen punk
sent here to **** us off?? Can somebody
answer that?

Old 05-13-2003, 12:30 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by 2minis:
What I want to know is...if MINIDivision is
really Mini Division or just some teen punk
sent here to **** us off?? Can somebody
answer that?
I can answer that. It is legit MINI Division is offical posting from MINIUSA.

If you want more proof, MINIDivision is posting from an IP address at BMWNA.com

Old 05-13-2003, 12:32 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Thanks for the info Dave...that was always
one of my pet peeves....

Old 05-13-2003, 12:32 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Try and ping the IP address...timed out for me though.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
audball
1st Gear
For those of you conspiracy theorists out there that might be having trouble believing the post by MINIDivision, check out the quick blurb on Autoweek, which seems to corroborate the announcment:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=05902078

Old 05-13-2003, 01:14 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>Well, we said that we would pass your comments regarding rear fog lights along within MINI and we did. We’re happy to report that MINI is working diligently on getting you what you’ve asked for. While we are certain that our current rear lighting arrangement offers more than adequate signaling, we also really believe in doing our best to satisfy our customers. We’ve appreciated all you’ve had to say on this subject and because of what you’ve said, we’re all listening.
>>
>>As these types of enhancements are compounded by regulatory and technical challenges, we ask that you remain as patient as you’ve been until we can update you further.
>>
>>Thanks again for your support and your input.
>>

Wow, that is great!
It is really nice to know that MINI Division is listening to MCO and other chat groups, and that you are passing along our recommendations, requests, and feedback. Once again goes to show that overall, MINI has great customer relations.
Thank you MINI Division!

Old 05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
mexminime
4th Gear
I just read the article. I am amazed what Americans can get by complaining
Would you mind complaining also about the skinny useless tires that come with the 15 inch rims?

Now that you will get rear fog lamps retrofitted into your Minis use them wisely (unlike Mexican euro-car owners that turn them on in the city and blind everybody driving behind them). Quite honestly in some places in the US you do need them. I´ve never used mine and probably never will.

Congratulations again!

Here´s the article from Autoweek:

Mini will offer rear fog lamp in not too distant future

By JOHN D. STOLL

Mini will get a rear fog lamp in the not-too-distant future, says Jack Pitney, head of Mini’s U.S. operation.
Big deal?

Well, it is to 729 signers of an e-petition (petitiononline.com/MINIfogs) irked over a disabled fog lamp that dresses the Mini’s rear end. Europe gets the working edition of the lamp, but U.S.-spec cars are lacking the bulb, switch and software to activate the light. Pitney says all U.S. Minis, new and used, will get rear fog lamps.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:41 PM
k7lro
3rd Gear
Maybe the beancounter who made the original recommendation is now sweeping floors at the factory now instead of messing up a good thing. :smile:

Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
one reason so many people complained is that all the stuff for rear foglight ops is in place including (as opposed to what is written up in the referenced article) the light bulbs. What's missing is the switch and the software. I doubt that excluding the switch is really any savings, because you need to make 2 switch panels instead of just 1.
Anyway, I agree with you mexmini that some people then just leave them on (as so many do woth the front fogs) and blind everyone, and that could have been one reason MINI decided not to include the rear foglights in the US. The one advantage of the MINI setup is that you can't just leave them on, but you have to turn them on every time you start the car, a much better setup.
I live in a place where sometimes they would be very nice to have: on an island on the gulf coast. Not often, but sometimes.
So, thanks again MINI for coming through!
I am sure there are other things many people would like to see changed. Personally, I would really like to see a better windscreen made of thicker, stronger glass.
Please?

Old 05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe if this was an option already I wouldn't of had my accident. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. Make it standard on new models.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:57 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
actually ther are more versions of the toggle panel then 2.. if you don't get dsc that one, if you don't get dsc or fog lights thats 2,, if you don't get dsc or rear fog light ot front fog lights. that 4.. if you get everything. thats 5... if you get rear fog only.. that 6.. if you ASC but nto dcs thats 7 if you get ASC with front fog lights, that 8, if you get front fog lights & rear foglight with ASC, thats 9.. and becasue you can get one with ASC or DSC.. which I may have already said.. but my calculations. there are at 9 or 10 variations of the toggle... whereas they could have just made one or even two and left the toggles on and relabeled them when needed.. and left the others blank

Old 05-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question is, how much?

Being that all MINIs have the bulbs and wiring in place, and are simply missing the switch in the panel, would it be a nominal cost item (I paid about 150 just for a new panel), free (unlikely) or outrageously priced? Since this was a feature that was disabled and exists in all cars instead of not being included in the first place, it should be reasonable in cost.

If it is, I will be in line to get it activated. And unlike some people I see driving around these parts, I will not leave it on in fair weather at night looking like I am riding the brakes.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
double post

Old 05-13-2003, 03:56 PM
jack07734
4th Gear
I still won't believe it untill it happens. After all how long has that couple of months been untill the release of the hands free kit and the aux jack.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:12 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
It took forever but it's still great news. Now, if the MINIs which did not get manual boot releases from the factory (another glaring safety omission) can get these as well, we're talking real progress.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:48 PM
fins4284
3rd Gear
so will there be a retro fit cost to us? or will it be on Mini's dime?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Rear Fog Lights