R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 05:32 PM
carnellm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, do any of you get this question? It happens to me all the time. I am stopped somewhere and someone is admiring my car. They then ask what it is. I say, "A MINI." They go, "Yes, but a mini what?" Then it goes downhill. Sometimes it feels like Who's on First.

I end up having to get into a long discussion of what the Mini marque was and what MINI now is. In the end half of them go, "Oh, so it is mini BMW." Arrgghhh!

At least tonight the guy walked around front, looked at the badge and exclaimed, "I'll be damned, it is a MINI!" Finally!

Sorry, just wanted to vent (not out of anger but frustration) and see if this happens to anyone else.

Michael

Old 07-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
That is hilarious! I have experienced similiar responses when I have attempted to describe to my co-workers what car I have ordered. It can be a little drustrating. The most annoying are the people at my office who only drive SUV's that say "Oh lord! I would NEVER drive in a car that small. You'll get killed. Are you crazy?" Another good response I got was "Where are you going to put your children?" Now mind you, it is important to note that I don't have any!!

Old 07-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Pebble
4th Gear
Well if we are ranting:

:smile:

Old 07-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Hollister
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
And I thought I was the only one who gets the questions about "a mini what??" Just the other day at a stoplight, a guy got out of his car, ran up and motioned for us to roll down the windows. Once we did, he asked what kind of car that was...we, of course, said a mini. His reply was "well I know its little...but what kind of car is it?..." Uhh...okay. I guess we just have to all take the fascination with our Mini Machines in stride. Some people have never heard of Minis, so they are curious. But then again, those that HAVE heard of Mini are just as curious, if not more so.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:16 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
YES!! A while back I told my friend I was getting a Mini and he was like "A mini what? A mini van?? Why the hell are you getting a mini van????" So I needed to direct him to the website to which he responded...."So is that like a PT Cruiser?".....
This is the story of one of my not-so-bright friends......

I have gotten that more times as well....but this guy was the biggest moron of them all.....

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2002, 07:18 PM
VerucaSalt
And to Pebble.....yeah....my friend has a gauge in his land rover that shows what the angle of the car is when you are going around corners.....that way you know when you are about to tip over..... And WE are the UNSAFE ones!?!?!?!

Old 07-29-2002, 07:27 PM
dbaux
1st Gear
Some folks just can't be trusted with the truth.

One time when I was out walking my greyhound, a met a person who rolled their eyes, and said "what kind of dog is THAT?" I said "Brazilian weaselhound" (the first fictitious breed name I could come up with). The person nodded their head sagely and said "that's what I thought, they're not good with children", and walked away.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:30 PM
carnellm
1st Gear
Man, the PT Cruiser thing gets to me too. People who think it must be the same as, linked to the PT Cruiser! Sheeez. And then there was the person who called it a Beetle...

It does amaze me the number of people who have never heard of Minis or MINIs. Guess I am just strange. Of course my wife has always told me I am strange.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:38 PM
VerucaSalt
One time when I was out walking my greyhound, a met a person who rolled their eyes, and said "what kind of dog is THAT?" I said "Brazilian weaselhound" (the first fictitious breed name I could come up with). The person nodded their head sagely and said "that's what I thought, they're not good with children", and walked away.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HHAHAHAH *GASP* HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA

OH that was SO funny......I almost just fell out of my chair!!!!!!!!11

Old 07-29-2002, 07:46 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Oh yeah! I learned to mention "BMW" to the brainless type- it let's them feel like they walk away with some understanding. I also got the question, "Do you feel safe?" And I said, "What do you mean?" "You know, on the freeway?" DUH! Those SUV people are a breed of their own, aren't they? (I know some of you here are seeking treatment for that and are converting to the MINI- good for you!) I want to tell them that while they're trying to get on the curvy freeway onramp, trying not to rollover at 30 mph, that flash of lightning is me zooming by them at 60! The SUV backlash starts NOW!

Old 07-29-2002, 07:55 PM
sirron
5th Gear
When we get squashed in our MINIs by a gigantic truck or SUV, we 'll have a nice comfortable death with all of our 6 airbags! Ron.

Old 07-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
The garbage that comes from the SUV crowd is amazing. Not only do they tip around corners, they also flip with any type of side impact. All that large weight to the front and back are good for protection in a rear-ender or a head-on collission. But, hit them from the side and their doors are as thin as ours plus the added feature that they will flip over in a heartbeat. Also, try and avoid an accident in an SUV. Good luck. I had to drive my parents' Expedition (apologies to anyone who has one and loves it, no offense meant) and nearly killed myself. The handling is atrocious, the braking is average, acceleration is non-existant and I could barely make it around corners. That and it gave the wonderful riding impression of being back in grade school and riding in a large yellow school bus.

Old 07-29-2002, 08:45 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man. That's harsh. And hilarious. "A MINI what?" That's too much. Never got that before. But then again I don'y have mine yet. But I have tried to explain to friends and co-workers what kind of car I have on order. I tell them a MINI. And so far the most used response is, "Like a little tiny Austin MINI??" I'm like, "Yeah......like an Austin MINI, but newer and better, and slightly bigger." And then 'it' starts. The long droned out explanation. Eiiiyyyy chee wah wah!
Although I feel like I'll be in it big for trying to explain to eveyone what I'm driving once I get mine. 'Cause there's no MINI dealers around for miles. And only a couple running around.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:13 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>So, do any of you get this question? It happens to me all the time. I am stopped somewhere and someone is admiring my car. They then ask what it is. I say, "A MINI." They go, "Yes, but a mini what?" Then it goes downhill. Sometimes it feels like Who's on First.
>>
>>I end up having to get into a long discussion of what the Mini marque was and what MINI now is. In the end half of them go, "Oh, so it is mini BMW." Arrgghhh!
>>

Heh heh... Too many times....

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-30-2002, 12:56 AM
Tristar
1st Gear
I made a sign and leave it on dashboard when away from "mulligan". It does keep fingerprints and noseprints off the car

http://www.geocities.com/dfish33063/prevent.html

Old 07-30-2002, 03:54 AM
Blackbird
1st Gear
well, more than "a mini what" i get "oh, what kind of car is that?" a mini cooper... i reply... "oh..... who makes it?" "mini." "oh... but what kind of car is it?" "a mini cooper"... "yes but who makes a mini cooper???" "MINI." "oh." "it's a division of bmw now." "oh." and then the best was i overheard someone in my office, talking to someone else in my office saying "well, she SAYS it's a division of BMW." WHY DO YOU ASK IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE MY ANSWER???????????????????????? but that's from all the women in my office. the men? "YOU GOT A MINI?!?!?!?!?!"

Old 07-30-2002, 04:49 AM
carnellm
1st Gear
Yup, the few appreciative and the ones that go, "I have got to get me one of those!" make it all worthwhile. The question answering that is. Driving it makes everything else worthwhile.

Michael

Old 07-30-2002, 05:05 AM
acetonic
4th Gear
I find that the best responses come from the employees at fast food drive through windows.

"Is that a PT Cruiser?"
"No, it's a MINI"
"A mini PT Cruiser?"
"It's not any kind of PT Cruiser, it's a MINI Cooper."
"It's made by Chrysler?"
"How many years did it take you to work your way up to this job, Einstein?"

OK, I didn't say that last line but I wanted to.

Another drive through employee thought it was a space ship.
I've gotten the kit car question as well. I just said "Yes, I built it. I'm good aren't I?"

sigh

Old 07-30-2002, 05:50 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>I've gotten the kit car question as well. I just said "Yes, I built it. I'm good aren't I?"
>>
>>sigh
>>
>>

That's funny...

Old 07-30-2002, 07:57 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
I have given up on saying " it's a MINI Cooper"...

I have found it works better to say : " it's a Cooper , made by MINI, which is a division of BMW."

Old 07-30-2002, 08:44 AM
azul68
1st Gear
I have had all of those responses as well, and more.
Worst comment;"Oh, that's one of those electrical cars, huh?"
Best comment(from teenage kid); "Cool Mini, mister!"

Old 07-30-2002, 09:53 AM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
I live in Los Angeles, which is probably the self proclaimed car capital of the world. I constantly get the Mini "what" questions and the "you don't stand a chance against an suv" nonsense. I was tempted to get a license plate "NO SUVS" but was afraid I might upset some 4 x 4 nut. I also had a guy argue with me the other day that the car is not made by BMW. Everyone is an expert. To the positive, to my surprise, I've gone to several local car (50's/60's) shows and the Cooper gets all the attention. Those folks knew what it is. Anywho, its all been great fun so far, especially watching other people almost getting into accidents with each other when they slow down or speed up to try and see the car. The very best part though is pedestrians always waive and smile and people in the most high profile cars (Ferrari, Porsche etc.) always waive and give the thumbs up. It's nice to be appreciated and better yet, nice to bring a smile to people's faces, whether they know what the car is or not. I guess the smile in the grill makes you smile back. My son recently drove the car to THE Who concert and said with all the attention, he could barely get out of the parking lot. I guess the Union Jack on the roof added to that:D

Old 07-30-2002, 11:12 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
:smile: My favorite so far is ... Yes I built it, I'm good aren't I? That's classic!