R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Beepers got her first boo boo :( *help*

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 01:12 PM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving north on the 5 yesterday to Hollywood, and when I went under an underpass a pebble seem to drop down and chipped my windshield :evil: I was surprised because pebbles usually are kicked up from large vehicles in front of you, and I always avoid being behind SUV's, Trucks, etc. Now I have a stone chip right in front of the drivers side in plain visibility for me to have to be reminded from ..err Thank goodness it is very small, although, I am very worried it will spider out. Are windshield chips fixable?

Old 03-18-2003, 01:15 PM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
Auto glass companies can fix small (5 inches or less) cracks and pits with a vacuum technique. Sometimes, it's even covered at no cost under your insurance. If you have Safelite there, try them

Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that.

Take it to any handdry car wash. They always seem to have someone who comes out and offers to fill chips on your windshield and charge your insurance company. I did this twice and neither time did I have to pay anything out of my pocket. Just gave them my insurance info and 25 minutes later...all done!

Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 PM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
oh, and bummer. The first scar hurts the most. Luckily, tis one should be made invisible without much work.

Keep smilin' - keep motorin'!

Scott

Old 03-18-2003, 01:18 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Just one? I've got five of those... Like almedia says, try to get it repaired if it really bothers you. Otherwise, pick up a few more and then get the whole thing replaced. From what others have written and experienced, it's just a matter of time... you WILL pick up a few more.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:28 PM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Thanx everyone for being so nice :smile: I am glad to hear they are fixable, the chip is the size of a pin tip so it is relativly small. I have AAA insurance and am not for sure if my insurance will cover this...hhmm

-jsun- ouch I can see your point, since this is a common problem

Old 03-18-2003, 01:29 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Could be fixable, get someone to look at it ASAP, and have it fixed immediately if fixable. The longer you wait, the more likely it will spread and spider.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had a subary for 5 years with not a single chip despite many hard hits. 2 weeks into my new MINI I had a BIG chip from a SMALL pebble, had it fixed same day.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Barkersan
2nd Gear
A chip the size of a pin tip?? How did you even see it?

Old 03-18-2003, 07:11 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
well, not a response to your windshield problem... but i've got my first boo boo on winnie today, and it's a lil more serious :evil:

was driving on the interstate to school, and a black pipe looking thing came bouncing up (not sure from where) and nailed my MINI! i knew it was bad, as i could feel it hit and could hear it. when i got to school, i almost cried :evil: she's only a week old, too!

I took it by the dealer and they were very sympathetic and said that he would call around to see where i can get the best work done at the best price. I don't think it'll get back to 100%, but hopefully they can at least pull the dents out and do a VERY GOOD JOB with touching up the paint. needless to say i'm very pissed, but nothing much i can do about it, it wasn't like it was preventable. just really sucks..

ryan

Old 03-18-2003, 09:21 PM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
>>well, not a response to your windshield problem... but i've got my first boo boo on winnie today, and it's a lil more serious :evil:
>>
>>was driving on the interstate to school, and a black pipe looking thing came bouncing up (not sure from where) and nailed my MINI! i knew it was bad, as i could feel it hit and could hear it. when i got to school, i almost cried :evil: she's only a week old, too!
>>
>>I took it by the dealer and they were very sympathetic and said that he would call around to see where i can get the best work done at the best price. I don't think it'll get back to 100%, but hopefully they can at least pull the dents out and do a VERY GOOD JOB with touching up the paint. needless to say i'm very pissed, but nothing much i can do about it, it wasn't like it was preventable. just really sucks..
>>
>>ryan :evil: I feel very bad for you and winnie

Old 03-20-2003, 07:01 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
The first dent or scratch always hurts so bad. It takes your car from a "perfect" look to just a regular car... If you are very picky you´ll get it fixed right away, otherwise most people get resignated to live with it and accumulate a collection before fixing them.

Sorry.

Old 03-20-2003, 05:50 PM
hildymac
2nd Gear
I agree with you - just *one knick* and whammo - your car's just like everyone else's (though b/c it's a MINI it's not, but... you know what I mean). Even with my Sportage knicks drive ne nuts. Actually, so does the bent back gas cap (don't ask) and the slash on my tire cover from some hooligan high school kids that I teach. My usually pristine car looks like the cheap rice burner that it is. I'm dreading the day that I get my MINI, because I'm fairly sure that *something'll* happen that day. I have that kind of luck.