R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Manual vs Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Anglophile
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs Automatic

I have a troubled history with manual cars. When I was learning to drive, my father tried teaching me on a manual. I did so much damage to the transmission in 5 days that the mechanic said he had never seen a manual transmission as badly damaged as ours was. I was promptly allowed to drive my family's automatic.

Years later, in college, a friend tried to teach me to drive her manual car. She gave up after I stalled out at every stop sign for two days.

Now, I'm 30 years old and have always driven automatics. At this point, a stick shift seems like an unnecessary hassle, but everyone tells me that I will only truly enjoy the MINI experience if I get a manual.

Will it really make that much of a difference, or should I just buy what I am comfortable with?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
jackarat
2nd Gear
i drive an automatic s. but i also know how to drive a manual very well.

i love driving manual. i didnt choose my transmission for my car but i still love my car alot.

when it comes to enjoying the MINI experience to the full potential, it really is up to the driver on how much they enjoy the experience.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like the auto MCS would be a perfect fit.

Ignore the people who say you can't enjoy a MINI with an auto transmission.

Paddle shifters are neat and you really sound like someone who doesn't want the hassle of a manual transmission.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
i agree with yucca... It isnt the end of the world if you cant juggle the clutch and shifter.

I have a MCS 6speed on order but drove both auto and stick extensively. I would say both are fun in different ways. In a way, i felt like I had to learn the paddle shifters as if it were the first time driving. Kind of a nice humbling experience but on the same token a different driving experience.

My M3 has a 6 speed so driving a 6 is second nature to me these days. An auto would be a nice change for me since I do go into the city quite often... however I opted for the manual to afford myself a Navigation system

Both are fun and it still doesnt dampen the awesome handling the car offers. good luck with the mcs A

Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
AMW
2nd Gear
From what I've heard of the MC manuals, the clutch is on the sticky side of things, which I would think does not bode well for someone who wears them out a lot.

I got an MCSa and I love it. The paddle shifters are fun to use, allowing you to get close to the versatility of a manual but also allowing you to opt out of that and drive in city traffic with it in D. Also, the S has a 6-speed automatic, which is pretty rare to find these days. You won't find yourself put-putting up hills or lagging on overtakes in this car.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MINI is definitely not the easiest stick to drive. If you've had that much trouble learning a manual, it's probably better to get the MCSa. You won't have complete control of shifting like a manual gives you but it's still a good alternative. You'll probably save some money by not having to replace the clutch as well.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
It took me a very long time to learn how to drive a manual. I tried to learn with my dad and it was a total disaster. Later my mom tried to take me out in a variety of vehicles.. Jeep Wrangler, S-10 pickup, VW Jetta... all were disasters as well. I decided I was never going to learn and just gave up.

Despite my failure, I ordered a manual Cooper a few years later. Once I was in the car by myself, I picked it up quickly and haven't had any problems since. I didn't destroy the transmission in the Cooper either (Well... not to my knowledge. The car was totalled in an accident @ 24,000 miles). Point is - with someone else trying to "teach" me, I could never pick it up. Left to my own devices, I worked it out pretty quickly.

Maybe you just need to go drive by yourself. Maybe the MINI is enough incentive to learn

All that being said, if you really think "a stick shift seems like an unnecessary hassle" then just go with the Auto. Some people swear by their automatics. Some swear by their manuals. If you don't think you need a manual to enjoy the MINI, then don't bother.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
wilson0728
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AMW
I got an MCSa and I love it. The paddle shifters are fun to use, allowing you to get close to the versatility of a manual but also allowing you to opt out of that and drive in city traffic with it in D. Also, the S has a 6-speed automatic, which is pretty rare to find these days. You won't find yourself put-putting up hills or lagging on overtakes in this car.
I 2nd this 200%. I have the MCSa and love it.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
To me the Mini has one of the easiest clutches I have ever used. 1st gear is a bit touchy but after that it's practically shifts itself. However it sounds like you really really really have a tough time with a clutch so forget about it & get an automatic. I think the Mini is much more to drive via manual but since you are used to automatics I don't really think you will ever know the difference

Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by AMW
I couldn't of put it better myself

Old 06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
eVal
6th Gear
First question, do you live in a hilly area?

Really though, it is such a personal choice - you should get the MA to let you test drive. When I first got my license and barely knew how to drive, much less drive a stick, the sales people were still happy to let me give it a try with the manual. Demo cars are not there to be babied, go ahead and try it

We had a stick MCS now have an auto, its just better for where we live and how the car is used, and, seriously, it is very fun to drive when you choose to manual shift it and push it, really

Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Anglophile
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone who offered their advice. I think I'll be happier with the automatic and am glad that others agree.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jackarat
when it comes to enjoying the MINI experience to the full potential, it really is up to the driver on how much they enjoy the experience.
Jackarat is right! The experience is totally up to the driver. Like you, I see the manual as an unnecessary hassle, and have very little desire to ever learn how to properly drive one (key word being properly - I can drive a manual, just not properly ). For me, it'll just be the fact that I have the car I've lusted for for years.

Think of this, too - if you were to get the manual MINI and still have as much trouble with a manual as you have in the past, it might even ruin the MINI experience as a whole for you. The frustration of you feeling like you're not driving the car to its fullest potential could color your view of the car itself. Just my two cents.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive a manual and love it, but you really should get what you want/need. I have several friends w/ Cooper CVTs mostly because they commute in traffic. Perfect fit!!! I've driven one...it was different but, yup, it was still a MINI through and through.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
sjino
1st Gear
Everyone has been talking about the MCSa, which I agree is really great as automatics go. (I was very pleasantly surprised when I test drove the MCSa.) The paddle shifting is indeed very cool.

However, the automatic in the MC is another matter. I haven't driven an MC auto, but I understand it's pretty underpowered and doesn't quite shift consistently. If Anglophile is considering an MC and not an MCS, I'd have to advise trying to adjust to the manual.

My MINI dealer was very cool about letting me do my many test drives by myself, and I didn't even have to ask. Anglophile should try to take a manual MINI out for a spin and see how it feels.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
i was in the same boat as threadstarter - every time in the past I tried to learn manual, it was HORRIBLE , maybe got it in gear 2-3 times outta 100.

but I HAD to have a MCS and I had to have the 6-speed action.

when I picked up the car , my girlfriend had to drive it home since I had no clue yet

but the next day I spent a good 2 hours in the parking lot stalling and stuttering everywhere. by the end of the weekend, I drove it to work on Monday in rush hour traffic.

yea I still sucked and had a few stalls here and there for the first couple weeks, but now Im pretty decent

and i think all that you can destroy your clutch stuff is WAY overblown. you'd have to do some seriously wacky things while learning to destroy it.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I love my MCS automatic - wouldn't change my choice if I had it to do over again. It's responsive, fun and in no way decreases the pleasure of driving a MINI.

For the record, I owned and drove manuals of all kinds for the first 22 years I drove. I now prefer an automatic unless it's a track only car.

Yes, you can learn to drive a manual eventually. But you'll probably be happier with an auto if that's what you're already the most comfortable with.

/gary

redrocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sjino
Everyone has been talking about the MCSa, which I agree is really great as automatics go. (I was very pleasantly surprised when I test drove the MCSa.) The paddle shifting is indeed very cool.

However, the automatic in the MC is another matter. I haven't driven an MC auto, but I understand it's pretty underpowered and doesn't quite shift consistently. If Anglophile is considering an MC and not an MCS, I'd have to advise trying to adjust to the manual.

My MINI dealer was very cool about letting me do my many test drives by myself, and I didn't even have to ask. Anglophile should try to take a manual MINI out for a spin and see how it feels.

Good luck.
well the MC's automatic is a CVT so shifting consistently shouldnt be a problem, as their is no shifting (though i think it has a "manual" override mode with 6 "gears" to play with) and its not that its underpowered, its that it doesnt shift so it feels underpowered, but a CVT mini probably has the ability to put more power to the ground than a theoretical 5 speed automatic mini, due to the lack of a torque converter, and CVT's tend to be quicker then there traditional automatic counterpart due to the fact they hold the engine in the meat of their power and torque bands, and there is no lag between gear changes, but it does result in a duller experience (from what ive been told ive never driven a CVT car, but id love to just to feel it out) for driving

personally i think (the original poster) youll be doing yourself a favor going for the A/T, particularly if youre looking at the MCS with it's 6 speed automatic. Though i would encourage you to try and test drive a manual mini before you completely decide which way to go (as others have said). i drive a six speed one, and the hardest part of driving stick, the clutch, is really a doll in the car, its pretty light, and easy to modulate, whoever said the mini has a tough six speed to master, is driving a different car than i am, because aside from the tall first gear (on my 04 at least, i drove an 06 recently and it seemed to have a shorter first gear) which can lead to clutch shudder if enough throttle isnt applied, its really an easy car to drive stick with.

but to each his own, and im sure either way youll enjoy the car, becuase its not the gearbox that makes a mini fun, its the driver, and his/her enjoyment. pride in and of the car. keep us updated on your eventual purchase

Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 6 cog MCS & love it. If you want an Automagic MCS, by all means buy it. You will love it as many others do too. A MCS with an Automagic is no less a car than a 6 cog. Both are great, buy one & enjoy!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I love my 6 speed MCS but my wife (who taught me to drive a stick more years ago than I care to owe up to ) insisted on the automatic for hers. We test drove the MC with the auto and didn't like it (too sluggish in our opinion). We got her the '05 MCSa and she loves it - neither of us use the paddles in it. The car still accelerates and goes well and is a joy to drive around town. Don't feel bad about wanting or needing an automatic - you will still enjoy the car immensely. Stick shifts aren't for everyone - different strokes for different folks!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
I had to order my MCS with an auto since I've never learned to drive a manual. My husband hates automatics but has fallen in love with the steptronic in my MCSa so it must be a good one!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 PM
motorbruce
1st Gear
Warranty

Remember, if a transmission or clutch is damaged or destroyed by an inexperienced driver it will not be covered under warranty. If you buy the manual you could be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and expense.

Cheers,
Bruce
motorbruce

Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
My 2 Cents

OK, I love to drive manuals.

I agree, you should do what feels right to you BUT a MINI is so special on the road, the manual lets you feel it. You will not kill the car or transmission no matter what you do. ( I have taught my daughters how to drive manuals).

A manual will add a new "dimension" to the driving experience that will thrill you and let you know you have truely arrived. If ever there was a car that wanted a manual gearbox, the mini is it.

You will love either, but your short investment on becoming comfortable with a 6 speed will make you happy in a few months.

Griff

'06, MCS, CR/W, 6 speed, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather
CROC # 126

Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I could be dragged into owning another automatic...

That said, while my MCS was in for work a couple years ago I got a MC CVT loaner. When I could convince my mother to actually let me drive the thing, I was impressed. I can only imagine what the MCSa is like.

Go with whichever makes you comfey. If you get a manual just because you feel obligated to, you may never thoroughly enjoy your car (or it may take awhile, and wasted time is no good). So if you know that you'll enjoy every second of the MCSa, GET IT!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
I recently ordered my MCS and the big question for me was also whether to go with manual or automatic. I'd always had a manual up until my truck that I bought 4 years ago. All of my friends who are into cars tell me to get the 6 speed manual. That's great, if this were going to be my secondary vehicle, but it will be my primary. I finally, despite the peer pressure , decided to go with the auto because I do a lot of city driving. If I spent time tooling about the countryside I'd go for the manual but since I don't the auto is a better fit for my needs. Besides, who wants to drive in San Francisco in a manual!

Long story short: Get what suits your needs, not others.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Manual vs Automatic