R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Space Gray Cloth Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
kbeaner522
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Space Gray Cloth Seats

Does anyone have pictures of their Space Gray Cloth Seats?

The dealer didn't have any cars outfitted with it and I'd really like to see as many pics as possible to help me make my decision!

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Here you go. It's not a great pic, but you'll get the idea. I love the cloth because the coloring works perfectly with my car (cr/b with the anthracite dash and headliner), plus, the material is high quality and breathable.

mb

Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slightly off topic-
They are great, but can be REALLY easily stained..... so be REALLY careful and carry somethign with you to get the stains out ASAP!!!!

I've had them twice now and loved them both times

Old 05-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Red
6th Gear
I am wondering why dealers do not keep cloth equipped cars in stock. They were not available when I shopped my 03 MCS, or now with my 06 MCS. Do they not pre-order on spec because folks don't want it? Does not look good? Does not wear well? What gives?

I would love to see the Tartan Red with leather, but for $800, I guess they are not available around NYC to see. Leatherette wore great, guess we are going that route again.

regards,
Red

Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
slightly off topic-
They are great, but can be REALLY easily stained..... so be REALLY careful and carry somethign with you to get the stains out ASAP!!!!
That is a true story. I use 303 fabric protectant. It works, and when it doesn't, I use 303 fabric cleaner.

mb

Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
I'm currently torn between the space grey cloth or the grey/black leathrette. Love the two tone, but the leathrette turns the doors grey also on a MC... I'm not sure if I like that or not. I really like the leatherette, and the only reason I dislike it is due to it getting hot - but I can get over that. I'm still torn, and hope one day I'll figure out which I want, haha... I don't know WHY I'm having so much difficulty deciding on this last part of the car, lol!!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-mine
I'm currently torn between the space grey cloth or the grey/black leathrette. Love the two tone, but the leathrette turns the doors grey also on a MC... I'm not sure if I like that or not. I really like the leatherette, and the only reason I dislike it is due to it getting hot - but I can get over that. I'm still torn, and hope one day I'll figure out which I want, haha... I don't know WHY I'm having so much difficulty deciding on this last part of the car, lol!!
Here is a vote for the Space Grey cloth. I have it on my BRG/W MCSa.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 AM
MarcusCT
2nd Gear
I'd go for the cloth - leather gets so hot and sticky. I have it in my new MINI and it looks wonderful.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Has anyone tried Scotch Guard on the cloth seats?

Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
I've had both...

I ordered space grey cloth, and the car was mis delivered with leatherette. They swapped them for me after about a week. So I've had more than a test drives's experience with both types. I found the leatherette transmitted a small but noticeable vibration at highway speed to my, umm, tailbone shall we say?

That's not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.

The highway resonance of the exhaust was coming through right to my sit upon and I found it bothersome. It was slight but there. After a week when the cloth seats were installed it was gone. The cloth seats feel just a touch softer. This was all well before the seat covers you might see in my sig were installed.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
I got the Cloth seats in my brand new MCSa and I love them so far. I went with them because I prefer cloth over vinyl (the "leatherette") or leather. When it's hot or I'm wearing shorts, my legs stick to leather, and I can't stand the lack of breathability on longer trips. So, luckily, the cloth because available again just in time.

I have a picture of my car's interior (showing a tiny bit of the seats) here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5&d=1148690115

I think the two tone colors really fit my two-toned car (SB/S; Anthracite and Chrome line Interior, base grey headliner).

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
check out my gallery

Old 05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
i was up in the air between leatherette and cloth.

My dealer only found 1 car after looking for 40 minutes on the lot.
When we did see the car, it was dark and the seats were fairly dirty.

It sort of turned me off and made the decision of leatherette easier...

I dont like leather in the summer/winter months due to heat. I dont like getting burns from the seats. I think cloth may age better than leatherette (if you are as meticulous to car care as I)...

I ended up ordering leatherette, but may go with space cloth in the future..... who knows.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
i guess fate will have its way. My motoring advisor messed up my order and neglectd to put leatherette. Now i have space cloth. i believe i'll be happier going this route...

I like the color contrast in the seats. Also didnt like how leatherette always had a seat sag where the driver sits. This was pretty much in each and every mini ive seen (leather and leatherette). I believe the space cloth will definitely wear better in this regard...

Old 06-07-2006, 04:28 AM
tx-jbird
2nd Gear
I have been happy with the cloth interior. We typically do not eat in the car so the spill problem is about non existant. My dealer did have a mandatory protection pacakage for all customers. Among other things, it included a stain removal package. I have had to use it once when one of the God daughters put her feet on the back seat and left a nasty stain. The dealership cleanned it no questions asked.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:50 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
I have a kinda funny story regarding the space cloth... I was fairly undecided myself, but have finally decided on the leatherette (my outdoor hobbies need it for one). Anyhoo, my step-mother just got her brand new cooper S on Saturday with the space cloth in it. She had to take the dogs to the vet, and so she loaded them up in the MINI... Well one of her dogs pooped in the backseat! LMAO! Now she has this big ole brown stain on the bright back seats and is having a hell of time to get it out... I shouldn't laugh, but it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny when she told me!! She said it really stained it (i guess it seeped in...ewww...) needless to say, she's pretty pissed off, bless her...

I dunno why she didn't put some plastic down or something!! I mean it IS her NEW car!?!

Old 06-13-2006, 08:16 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
funny but kinda gross all in the same :( heehehehe

Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Tell her to use Turtle Wax Power Out cleaner. It's cheap, and has worked beautifully in both our MINIs, especially the convertible. Tho I've never tried it on poop.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
creseida
4th Gear
I don't like cloth seats because they do stain, they dry rot and split, and sunfade. I went with the real English Panther Leather seat. It was more comfortable than the regular sport seat, and I personally love the fact that if you clean and condition your leather seats, they will last a long, long time. I plan on having my MCS as a long term keeper, just like all of my other cars.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by creseida
I don't like cloth seats because they do stain, they dry rot and split, and sunfade. I went with the real English Panther Leather seat. It was more comfortable than the regular sport seat, and I personally love the fact that if you clean and condition your leather seats, they will last a long, long time. I plan on having my MCS as a long term keeper, just like all of my other cars.
Do you have photos? I am going to order and would like see and here more.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by creseida
Over time, leather seats will wear as well. It all depends on how the car is kept - out in the hot sun and leather seats will fail real quick (even with daily applications of Lexol). It is really a personal decision. If leather seat options had been available in the Space Grey colors (grey/anthracite), I would have gone with leather seats. Unfortunately leather seat options were not available in the Space Grey colors, and so, I have the cloth seats.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Does anyone know how much a dealer would charge to swap seats? I have black leatherette and have been wishing that I had gone for the space grey seats.