R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 3500 miles, strange problem(s) arising!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
cmyk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3500 miles, strange problem(s) arising!

Helloooo!

So, I love the Mini. It's awesome.

BUT! Lately I've been having a few issues.

1) For the past 3 days, when I start up the car in the morning (completely cold), I'll crank for the same amount of time I usually do, but the motor will do a quick "cough" and then run properly. It almost sounds like it's about to stall for half a second, then runs fine. I've been putting Shell 93 in it since I bought it.

2) At slow speeds (i.e. no more than 20 mph), when I'm turning left, I hear a very faint rubbing sound coming from the front right side. Almost like my alignment is off already?! The streets suck here in Baltimore so it's possible...

3) Oh, I haven't put any oil in the motor since I bought it (so, 3500 miles with no oil fillup). I've found it very VERY hard to read the dipstick. I'd pull it out, wipe it off, re-insert, and it LOOKS like there's oil at the top, but I can't be sure as oil gets stuck in the little recesses of the stick. Is it pretty common for there to be oil loss during break-in? If so, I'll put a lil in and see how it affects the dipstick reading.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi, I've got about 3000 miles on mine, and I have noticed recently a slight stumble in the engine momentarilly on cold starts. I too have been using Shell 93 octane exclusevly. As far as the dip stick goes, yes it is hard to read. Also the oil is very light in color, because unlike conventional oil, the synthetic oil lasts longer and won't show discoloration as quickly. As far as the rubbing goes, you might want to take it in and hjave it looked at.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
  1. The start up issue, thousands of 2005 MINIs have that problem My dealer has had over 50 in b/c of that in the last couble of weeks.
  2. Rubbing? Something might be cought in there, or allignment.
  3. The oil is incredibly clean. I have 6k miles, still cant read it. (its hard.)
Enjoy your MINI! The rubbing thing is the only thing to be concerned about.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
After two weeks of driving our new 06 MCS the oil was down 1/2 quart. My husband topped it off and it stayed there until he changed the oil at 3000 miles. He just had to do it... I haven't had the other problems you mentioned, but I am hearing the same noise I had in my 03 MCS when my clutch isn't engaged. Lots of threads and opinions on that issue.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cmyk
Helloooo!

So, I love the Mini. It's awesome.

BUT! Lately I've been having a few issues.

1) For the past 3 days, when I start up the car in the morning (completely cold), I'll crank for the same amount of time I usually do, but the motor will do a quick "cough" and then run properly. It almost sounds like it's about to stall for half a second, then runs fine. I've been putting Shell 93 in it since I bought it.

2) At slow speeds (i.e. no more than 20 mph), when I'm turning left, I hear a very faint rubbing sound coming from the front right side. Almost like my alignment is off already?! The streets suck here in Baltimore so it's possible...

3) Oh, I haven't put any oil in the motor since I bought it (so, 3500 miles with no oil fillup). I've found it very VERY hard to read the dipstick. I'd pull it out, wipe it off, re-insert, and it LOOKS like there's oil at the top, but I can't be sure as oil gets stuck in the little recesses of the stick. Is it pretty common for there to be oil loss during break-in? If so, I'll put a lil in and see how it affects the dipstick reading.
Don't add oil unless you definitely know you're low; too much oil can be a bad thing.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
J-Stylez
3rd Gear
I too have a 2006 MCS in Astro Black and I too have experienced/am experiencing the same three phenomenon. Congratulations!

1. The cold start thing has only happened after I go to start it from the car sitting overnight. Throughout the day, it starts just fine regardless of how long it's left. I've noticed nothing in the performance so I'm not to worried. I'll have them check it out on my first oil change (I read 8600 on the odometer)

2. The "rubbing" sound I only hear when I'm pulling out of a parking lot and only after the car has been sitting for a while. I think this "rubbing" is simply some noise from the LSD (assuming you have LSD), though I could be wrong. Mine becomes silent after warming up.

3. I could hardly read the oil on the dip stick too until I got higher up in the mileage. Now I can see the oil on the dip and I'm at the ideal level. You should be good to go my friend.

Motor on!!

Old 05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cold start thing is apparently due to more ethanol in the gas... I was talking to my MA about various things (such as what gas the MINI uses, etc) and he mentioned that they will prob have to update the computer so it isn't a prob.. I don't have mine yet, so can't comment from experience

Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mini-mine
he mentioned that they will prob have to update the computer so it isn't a prob..

update the computer... a "fix"

hehehe... It's best you just get used to it. I haven't heard of any definitive "fixes" for the cold start issue (a search for which will reward you with many, many posts).

Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
For the starting, try switching to 91 octane. The higher the octane, the harder it is for the engine to start. Unless you are keeping it near the redline, the computer shouldn't have to turn down the performance to prevent pinging.

Is the rubbing sound almost like a groaning? If you have the LSD, then it's most likely causing the sound. Nothing to worry about there. If you don't have the LSD, it might be something for the dealer to check.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I'll add nothing new.
My MA basically told me that the low compression of the engine with the high octane gas is not good for initial start up. It does, however, work very well when 15lbs. of boost is being crammed in at 5000+ RPM!
It's a trade off I guess. I'll take it.

dan

Old 05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I, too have the start up issue on occasion, not every morning but maybe 20% of the time, if that. But then it just coughs for a second and goes away. As for the 93 octane gas, the gas station I go to only have 87, 89, and 93, the stations that have 91 are almost 10 cents higher for 91 than my usual 93! I say owell, i haven't seen any harm yet so i'll keep on pumping fast freddies 93!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
cmyk
3rd Gear
In regards to the cold start issue, great! Good to know. I won't worry about it then.

Yes, I don't have LSD and it definitely seems to be the result of a pothole a while back. I've noticed my car pulls to the left... seemingly SOMETIMES, which is why I didn't think it was alignment. I figured it had something to do with the runflats being finnicky. Anyway, I'll try to schedule an appointment this weekend at Mini of Sterling. My first "service" with them. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I love NAM!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
That doesn't really make sense... MINI compression ratio is high at 11:1. That's the reason for the higher octane fuel requirement. Any lower and you may get detonation which could lead to bent valves or worse! I suspect a change in fuel quality might be causing the vast majority of these issues.... but I'm only guessing.

Originally Posted by minibeel
I'll add nothing new.
My MA basically told me that the low compression of the engine with the high octane gas is not good for initial start up. It does, however, work very well when 15lbs. of boost is being crammed in at 5000+ RPM!
It's a trade off I guess. I'll take it.

dan

Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
cmyk
3rd Gear
I think the MCS' compression is more like 8:1 due to the supercharger, but I could be mistaken. It makes sense because the supercharger needs to kick up a bit before it runs smoothly. 8:1 with no forced air is rough! :D

Old 05-24-2006, 05:19 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmyk
In regards to the cold start issue, great! Good to know. I won't worry about it then.
so you're saying that just because everyone has the same problem
that it is ok? what's wrong with this MINI community?

no wonder the ECU program will never get quite 2000+ auto industry
level.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
cmyk
3rd Gear
Well, if it's not exactly life-altering, I'd rather have this minor nuisance than have Mini of Sterling gutting my car to fix it.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
According to MINIUSA.com the MINI Cooper S has a compression ratio of 8.3:1. I'm fairly certain that's low. Gotta make room for that boost I guess.
Regardless of how difficult it may be to get high octane to ignite with less compression, they should figure it out. Perhaps it is a fuel quality issue, but so pervassive? Maybe a higher quality ECU program with more computer-wizardry going on inside it would help?

dan

Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
odd, but my 05 mcs starts and idles better after sitting for a week than when i start it every morning. it's a pervasive problem but no biggie, just blip the throttle after startup and that seems to help. I've also discovered that putting in a few gallons of mid-grade helps, the higher octane/harder start issue is valid. and yes the MCS has lower compression than the MC. JB

Old 05-24-2006, 09:07 PM
MY_05_BRG
1st Gear
my 05 had the same hic up i call it happened 3 times in 12000 mi ive been feding my BRG MCS British 95 octane witch is 90 octane in the states

Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
saakey
5th Gear
I don't have those starting issues, but I do get the rubbing sound (or as I like to think of it, a rubber sound). I only notice it when turning sharp and going slow - I keep picturing it as the CV boot noise - but seems impossible that I should be able to hear that. Who knows - I don't worry about it, as i think it has more to do with how low my car sits.
The dip stick is a pain for sure - just make sure oil is virtually cold when checking - seems to work best for me, and since my car now has 5k miles on her, the oil is darker and easier to see. Which reminds me - change oil this weekend.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
OH... I wonder where I got my number from? Maybe thats for the Cooper. 8.3:1 is definitely low, without the supercharger, I suspect 87 octane would be fine, but then the engine would be a dog.. I'm from the old school of carbuerators... so these new-fangled superchargerthingies get me confused... HAHA

Originally Posted by minibeel
According to MINIUSA.com the MINI Cooper S has a compression ratio of 8.3:1. I'm fairly certain that's low. Gotta make room for that boost I guess.
Regardless of how difficult it may be to get high octane to ignite with less compression, they should figure it out. Perhaps it is a fuel quality issue, but so pervassive? Maybe a higher quality ECU program with more computer-wizardry going on inside it would help?

dan

Old 06-03-2006, 08:39 AM
scholli
1st Gear
I have a 2006 MCS which I got at the end of March. After having it a few weeks, I too started having the cold start issue. Checked on this board and others and saw that it was pretty common and some thought it was due to the summer blend of gas. I use to fill my tank with Shell 93 (V-Power or whatever they call it). I read on one board that switching to Sunoco 91 octane stopped the cold start problem. Well, I tried it and have to admit, it worked - no cold start issue at all. Who would have guessed??

Old 06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive discovered that *lightly* tapping the gas pedal before ignition helps the car run better at fast idle when dead cold. Maybe the cars need just a little boost of fuel in the rails before starting? Danged BMWs! Jimbo

Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
cmyk
3rd Gear
Got the car checked out this weekend for the wheel noise. Everything checked out okay, but it was a bit misaligned. They performed an alignment. Guess how much? $200!!!!

Welcome to the BMW family?

Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
For problem #1 check this thread. Its a old news issue with the MINI. I think its almost being called a characteristic of the car now

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44204

Quick Reply: R50/53 3500 miles, strange problem(s) arising!