R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 09:24 AM
jerrod
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've always considered myself a pretty good driver. I've pulled myself out of some sticky situations through a mix of skill and level headedness. But it occurs to me that I'd love to actually get some real instruction.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Driving School? What should I be looking for in a school?

Old 03-15-2003, 09:32 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
I'd like some instruction, too. With the CVT, I feel like I might be missing some of the potential in driving this kind of tranny. Where are you located jerrod? that will help others be able to recommend something in your area. I'm in NJ.

Old 03-15-2003, 01:30 PM
RonR
4th Gear
Greetings,
Check out AutoWeek.com and look at the index on the left for Driving Schools or try this link http://www.competitionpress.com/schools/drivehome.mv
Also pick up a copy of Grass Roots Motosports magazine at your favorite bookstore.
I hope this help !
Regards,
Ron

Old 03-16-2003, 08:58 AM
jerrod
1st Gear
I'm in Boston. Does anyone in the New England area have experience with a driving school that they'd recommend? What did you feel that it helped you with?

Thanks
-jerrod

Old 03-16-2003, 10:11 AM
pgrmstr
2nd Gear
Not sure about the cost of formal "driving schools" but a cheaper and quite fun alternative is to get in on autoxing. Go to the SCCA.ORG page, look up you region and contact the local region folks. I know in the Philly region, we put on a novice course each year, a full day with local experienced drivers as instructors. These instructors typical have many years of autox experience. You will learn how you car handles at the limits....feel push, oversteer, etc that you would not typically experience in daily driving situations. You can learn a great deal, whether you want to continue with autoxing or just learn your car. Typical cost os usually less than $75 for the entire day and includes a catered lunch. We also have an evening session the night before where we sit around a table and talk dynamics of car control, then the entire next day is spent behond the wheel focusing on various segments, finishing with putting each segment together with full course runs. Highly recommended....and you don't have to beat on your car or tires either.

Jeff

Old 03-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Ben
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're looking to learn more about driving a car fast, in a safe and controlled environment, I'd suggest joining the BMWCCA. They run driving schools at the best venues around the country. I've driven Laguna Seca, Sebring and Miami/Holmstead all with the club.

You'll get a qualified instructor and more smiles per mile than anyplace else you can go ... in my opinion. All at a great price for a 2 day school. You'll also learn how much you have to learn. It's great, friendly and non-condincending. Have Fun!

Old 03-21-2003, 08:41 AM
n_l
2nd Gear
>>I'm in Boston. Does anyone in the New England area have experience with a driving school that they'd recommend? What did you feel that it helped you with?
>>
>>Thanks
>>-jerrod

Jerrod - Both the Boston Chapter and the White Mountain Chapter of the BMW CCA offer high-performance driving schools at New Hampshire International Speedway and Lime Rock Park. In additon, they offer an Advanced Driving Skills school (required for novice drivers prior to enrolling in the High-Performance schools) that includes skidpad, high-speed lane change exercises, etc in both dry and wet conditions.

The next Advanced Skills School is coming up on April 26, 2003. Registration is not yet open. Check out http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/....asp?event=601 for more information. There are High-Performance Driver's schools coming up on April 1 at Lime Rock and May 1 at NHIS, but both are likely full by now (they tend to fill up on the first day of registration so you have to act fast).

In New England, the COM Sports Car Club - http://www.comscc.org/ - also does driver's schools, and I've found them to be one of the most reasonably priced options in the area.

Send me a PM if you'd like to chat more about this. I've been racing for the last 6 years and have done driver's schools with both BMW CCA and COM.

-noam

Old 03-21-2003, 09:31 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the best one out there is Skip Barber. They have a few different tracks they use, but I would invest in the hotel and airfare to attend one of those.

After that, the BMWCCA schools are great, but the level of instruction just isn't as high as it is at Skip Barber most of the time (not to knock the great guys who volunteer their time as instructors!).

My $.02

Old 03-21-2003, 09:36 AM
2minis
6th Gear
I second Randy..Skip Barber at Lime Rock in CT.
They have several different programs and you can pick
the one that suits your needs. I'd grab some Viper time
while there....

Old 03-21-2003, 10:42 AM
n_l
2nd Gear
I agree that pro schools like Skip Barber (and Bondurant, etc) are great for driving instruction - just depends on whether you want that instruction in YOUR car, rather than theirs. Are you looking to explore the limits of your car (which you're familiar with already, and where the learning translates more directly to your daily driving) in a controlled environment, or are you looking - in general - to becoming a more competent driver (and save some wear-and-tear on your car and have the fun of beating-up somebody else's car)... There's also the cost difference - BMW and COM schools are in the $125 - $150/day range, where Skip Barber is in the $700 - $800/day range.