R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Waved, Flashed and Ignored

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 AM
o4amini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waved, Flashed and Ignored

I miss all the MINI owners who share the joy of motoring with each other. Since I have returned home from MOTD I've tried to communicate with other MINI owners and have been ignored . It is sad. Except for a couple of owners who I know only by sight all other MINI's (we aren't many) seem to be islands unto themselves. What gives??

Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
It's a size thing. Whenever I am not paying attention is when I finally notice another MINI on the road. Then it is by before I can react. They're so small!

Actually I always wave, but rarely get a wave back. Most of the time I am not keeping my eyes on other cars though.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I've been surprised by the response out here... About 90% of the MINI owners here wave, nod, or do something to recognize passing MINIs.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Yeah, it has been a little disappointing how few waves I get in Portland. maybe 1 out of the last 20 mini's I've seen. I either get weird looks or people are just absorbed in their driving and dont seem to noticed me driving next to them waving frantically.

I think I need a giant foam hand

Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 AM
muggy
4th Gear
I am slow to wave...I try to do a two finger salute while i'm shifting gears tho

Old 05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When I rode motorcycles, we tended to wave with a low downward slanting straight-fingered motion down byt he left thigh as we passed each other...

With the Karmann Ghia, there weren't THAT many on the road, even for the Bay Area, where air-cooled veedubs go to die, so it was usually a wave out the window.

With the Mini, I see a lot of attention and gesturing from other drivers. However, there perhaps being so many Minis in San Francisco and surrounding areas, not much interaction with other MINI drivers... I generally flash or wave when I have time to do so, though.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
gt6
5th Gear
I find that most MINI's I see around here wave or flash their lights. I know I've missed waving back a couple of times, just didn't catch it in time. I also get waved at by quite a few people that aren't in a MINI, that really catches me off guard.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
hopper
3rd Gear
I've been waiving and flashing, but not getting much response. I've pretty much decided to keep doing it until the rest of the mini world catches on. ;-)

Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
HFM
1st Gear
I live in a rural area of Pa., when I encounter another Mini on the road usually the following will happen, lights flashing, people waving, a "toot' on the horn. Maybe once every two weeks I'll see another Mini on the road. Thats kinda the way it is here in the boonies. ha ha

Old 05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
man oh man. I got a MINI Detector in my brain or something cause I spot those suckers left and right and go out of my way to catch up for just a wave. I dont usually get a wave or anything back but when I do, it sure is worth it

Old 05-14-2006, 03:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by o4amini
. Since I have returned home from MOTD I've tried to communicate with other MINI owners and have been ignored . It is sad. ...
OK, You got to put this waving thing into perspective or your setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment.

While many of us are quick to point out a "sibling" on the road, the hard facts are its just a very small minority of enthusiasts. With more than 140K cars sold in US, how many were at the dragon? If you add up the entire membership of every car club, what percentage is that of the masses? lets say its adds up to 14,000 people. Thats still only 10% of ownership. For the other 90%, it just a car.

MINI sold maybe 40K cars in the US last year. How many elise, maybe 2K? Thats unique. 40K cars is right at Corvette level or so. How many Vettes you see on the road ... a lot I bet. Once the car becomes ubiquitous like that, things tend to change. Depending upon where you live ... just going to work I see maybe 3+ MINIs/day. If I compare that to other cars, I see ZERO 911s, ZERO Lotus, etc.

Its all about the numbers (IMO)

Old 05-14-2006, 03:40 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
I've passed maybe 20 MINIs in the 3 weeks I've had mine...I'd say prob 15 of them have waved or flashed their lights...and most of the time they initiated it. Seems like a good percentage to me.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
I've passed maybe 20 MINIs in the 3 weeks I've had mine...I'd say prob 15 of them have waved or flashed their lights...and most of the time they initiated it. Seems like a good percentage to me.
I think your making my point though. Being in NH, its mostly rural. Not sure where you are in NH but go 100 miles south to Boston and I bet there are many MINIs around.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:17 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I;ve been counting on my commute lately. 8-11 Minis. EACH WAY!

Old 05-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Ragtopday
1st Gear
On the way home from MOTD, we saw two other MINIs, one in Kentucky and one in St. Louis. We were traveling with one other MINI so even if the drivers were less-than-observant, you'd think they would notice two of us! We both waved at both and got no wave back. How bizarre after being surrounded by MINIs for 3 days and then get snubbed!

Old 05-14-2006, 04:39 PM
4RETECH
2nd Gear
Sorry to say I am one of those people who drove up to a Checkmate and gave the thumbs up from my Evo. They seemed to be happy.

I really can't wait to get into my fiancee's Cooper S,if she lets me drive that is.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:42 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I've had pretty good luck w/ the waving lately. Not great...just pretty good.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
wseattlemini
2nd Gear
Having an early 03 since new, I have watched the wave become a thing of the past. I finally got one the other day and it made me think back to when EVERYONE waved, pulled over, even did u-turns. Oh well, I'll always wave.

I have to say, sometimes when I'm driving our other car (non MINI) and I'm next to A MINI at a light, I'll give them a thumbs up or wave and they look at me like I'm crazy.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wseattlemini
I have to say, sometimes when I'm driving our other car (non MINI) and I'm next to A MINI at a light, I'll give them a thumbs up or wave and they look at me like I'm crazy.
That is exactly my point. I have done that many times and they think I am some kind of Road Rage Nut and try to get away

Its just a matter of numbers ...

Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I think your making my point though. Being in NH, its mostly rural. Not sure where you are in NH but go 100 miles south to Boston and I bet there are many MINIs around.
I'm actually right on the Mass border...about 45 mins from Boston. It's not too rural...MINIs are just not that common up year.

With my Saab, I see used to see like 20 of the same car per DAY...none ever waved though. lol

Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I usually have decent luck waving, as I usually have widows down roof open I have a whole arm out the window making me stand out. Recently I've been in lots of rain and my return wave % has dropped exponentially, couple that with the fact that I am in the Chicago suburbs, where I see at least 3 a day as oppposed to the 1 or 2 a week I saw in FL so a MINI is no where near as much of a head turner just cause there are more. I've also noticed there is a larger look fast than go to the track and be fast crowd than I was with previously.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Most MINI or Mini people here in Chattanooga wave, but there aren't that many on the road so I guess that helps. Plus I think we all are focused on driving plus maybe some other thing on our mind that we really do not take the world around us in.

And I try or flash or wave all the time.

Herbert

Old 05-14-2006, 07:56 PM
GmanViz
2nd Gear
I'd like to take this opportunity to tell the driver of the CR/W MCS in Dublin, OH last week that the driver of the BRG/W MCS that you waved to waved back, but he was turning the wheel and you probably didn't see it.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:07 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
Well in that case, I'd like to take this opportunity as well to say to the guy in the Honda CRV with Georgia plates who waved and honked at me in my PW/B MCS in Florence, AL on Friday that I didn't realize where the noise was coming from til it was too late then I got sorta freaked out. Your other car must be a MINI!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
polizei
6th Gear
I've waved to several MINI owners and it feels quite awesome! One thing that you have to keep in mind....a LOT of the MINI's out there are not driven by MINIAC's like us....but by the "average Joe" and to them it's just a vehicle to get from A to B. Only MINIAC's motor and go from A to Z. If you go from A to B, you are clearly not a MINIAC, and probably don't wave/flash.

Anyway, happy motoring MINIAC's!

-Cody

Quick Reply: R50/53 Waved, Flashed and Ignored