R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To all Nav owners

Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all Nav owners

How is your Navigation system? The stock one from MINI that is.

Im hopefully getting a new MINI Covertible S in the summer and ive always loved the idea of Nav. Is it really of use? The price is really not a problem, just the use of it, how easy it is and such

so any info would be superb

Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by illegalprelude

Im hopefully getting a new MINI Covertible S in the summer and ive always loved the idea of Nav. Is it really of use? The price is really not a problem, just the use of it, how easy it is and such

Do you trust me? Just do it I can't wait to follow it down to Fontana Village (again) in a few weeks

Old 04-10-2006, 04:05 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for those that have it but I can for those that don't. Although some ppl like the integrated look, you can do FAR, far better aftermarket for just Nav (Garmin or Magallen) ... much better, integrated 20 - 30 GB microdrive, for $800 or less ... save yourself $1200 and take it from car to car

Integrated aftermarket unit like the Pioneer AVIC series blow away MINI. You can get integrate NAV, XM radio, XM radio traffic routing for traffic jams, AND Bluetooth by merely replacing the OEM HU.

Thats one side of the story, I'm sure the OEM intergrated look people will give their side now Whatever you do, NAV is probably going to be standard in the future, first in the more expensive cars, later in all cars.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I cant speak for those that have it but I can for those that don't. Although some ppl like the integrated look, you can do FAR, far better aftermarket for just Nav (Garmin or Magallen) ... much better, integrated 20 - 30 GB microdrive, for $800 or less ... save yourself $1200 and take it from car to car

Integrated aftermarket unit like the Pioneer AVIC series blow away MINI. You can get integrate NAV, XM radio, XM radio traffic routing for traffic jams, AND Bluetooth by merely replacing the OEM HU.

Thats one side of the story, I'm sure the OEM intergrated look people will give their side now Whatever you do, NAV is probably going to be standard in the future, first in the more expensive cars, later in all cars.
''

you really hit the head on the nail (is that how the expression goes? ). For me, its the idea that its intergrated. I would probably never buy a nav that I have to use the sticky suction cups to attatch to the Front or drill holes in the Dash to lock them on.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
''
For me, its the idea that its intergrated. I would probably never buy a nav that I have to use the sticky suction cups to attatch to the Front or drill holes in the Dash to lock them on.
Then you have many options by replacing the OEM HU. You really should check out the Pioneer AVIC units. They are VERY nice ... will cost about the same as OEM installed Nav, but be a much better unit and you can "easily" include XM radio, backup camera, traffic reports, etc. The newest Avic is a bit more but includes integrated BT and a 30 GB drive for all you MP3s ... so much for needing an Ipod!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:00 PM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
The OEM Nav is excellent. A lot of people on this forum disagree, but the integration is really nicely done. It's also pretty accurate and easier to use than our MB Nav system.

I bought a Garmin GPS system for our Allroad, and I hate it. It works well enough, but having to worry about having an expensive unit on your dash everytime you park your car definitely gets old.

Go for the Nav!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Sorry I disagree on Factory Nav. Consider this...
Garmin 010-00396-60 GTM 11 FM Trafficmaster $171.99
Nuvi350 Travel Assistant $647.99
Subtotal: $819.98 from Buy.com
About the size of a pack of smokes or a deck of cards, AND gives you traffic reports. And it's movable; And it's far easier to use. I'm glad I got the Chrono Pak and this little baby...

Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
Sorry I disagree on Factory Nav. Consider this...
Garmin 010-00396-60 GTM 11 FM Trafficmaster $171.99
Nuvi350 Travel Assistant $647.99
Subtotal: $819.98 from Buy.com
About the size of a pack of smokes or a deck of cards, AND gives you traffic reports. And it's movable; And it's far easier to use. I'm glad I got the Chrono Pak and this little baby...
Enjoy putting it in the glove box every time you park...

Old 04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the fatory nav system and liked it so much I bought a portable for the other cars . It is well worth it in my opinion.

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM
novemberist
3rd Gear
It's a little strange trying to get use to the controls. Turn and click, turn and click.

But, having said that, I really like its overall integration into the dash. I am one of those people that just don't like the center speedo or the chrono pack. So for me, it was a perfect alternative.

Other minor reasons why I like the OEM Nav.

1) You are greeted with the MINI symbol everytime you enter the car.
2) You can display your OBC readings on there, and proudly show off your 30 mpg.
3) The British accent!!! Though she's a bit loud, there's nothing like using the "motorway" in So Cal.

If money is of no concern to you, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy it.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 PM
HSE
2nd Gear
All I can say is, play with a Honda/Acura navigation system then a try BMW/MINI navigation system. I gaurantee you won't even think about dropping $1700 for it. It's crap.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My current 2003 MC has the factory nav, and my new future MINI will also have the factory nav. I bought a Garmin from Costco for my wife's car thinking it had to be better, but it updated really slowly, sometimes never locking on to a satellite even after several minutes. I'm sure there are better units than the $600 one we bought, but despite the limitations and simplicity of the factory nav, that's exactly why I like it so much. It's always there, and its easy and fast to use.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 PM
francisk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HSE
All I can say is, play with a Honda/Acura navigation system then a try BMW/MINI navigation system. I gaurantee you won't even think about dropping $1700 for it. It's crap.
I bet you haven't see the v.27 navi system. It is much easy to use and cool looking.. BTW, the factory navi system also have separate module (retrofit kit) for back up camera and video input..... I bet Honda/Acura won't offer those.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm a big value guy, and I really like the OEM Nav. Definitely not the easiest UI because of the one button operation, but the integration really does it for me, and the British voice seals the deal. The screen is also much bigger than a portable option, and the split screen is a perfect combo of visible directions, and overall location with the map.
I have a Garmin 60CS that I use for backpacking, and in my other cars for Nav. I love it, but you've got to plug it in, remove it, and deal with the mounting, and power cord if you plug it in.
Finding POIs takes longer than with the Garmin because you're navigating through individual menus, but in practice I'm usually looking for either a specific address, or a gas station (and the occasional fast food restaurant)

As Chow says, if you're looking for value and ability for mobile nav, you've got other choices, but from what you've said, the OEM nav fits the bill.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:35 PM
HSE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by francisk
I bet you haven't see the v.27 navi system. It is much easy to use and cool looking.. BTW, the factory navi system also have separate module (retrofit kit) for back up camera and video input..... I bet Honda/Acura won't offer those.
I tried whatever is in the 2006 MINIs. You can add a back up camera and video input to Honda/Acura nav.

Seriously, it's a night and day difference.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
I have the factory Nav and a Garmin 2620, they both work great. It is strange to see how they will sometimes give different routes to the same destination.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by HSE
I tried whatever is in the 2006 MINIs. You can add a back up camera and video input to Honda/Acura nav.

Seriously, it's a night and day difference.
You are completely ignoring the fact that the OEM Nav is upgradable via a downloadable CD image. The new v27 software francisk was referring to has only been out for 6 to 8 weeks. That means there are PLENTY of 2006 models out there that still have older software.

And of course the software is always being improved. The greatest new improvements with v27 are:
  • Perspective mode - i.e. 3D drive "into the screen" view
  • Automatic acceptance of the legal nag screen after 6 or 7 seconds
  • The ability to filter address searches by state (when combined with the new 2006-2 map disc)
  • The ability to search by zip code (when combined with the new 2006-2 map disc)
So you see, it is continuously getting better, at least for those who have a newer DVD-based model. I love mine, the fact it is ALWAYS there and cannot be stolen easily is a comforting feeling.

It IS expensive, but I think one of the factors in the decision should be how long you plan on keeping the car. I'm the sort of person who keeps cars I love for 10 years or more... so the overall cost over that lifespan was most definitely worth it to me. If you only keep cars for 2 or 3 years then upgrade, then the cost of the factory Nav may not seem worth it.

I plan on adding the front and rear OEM cameras to the car, and also the official Bluetooth kit... all of which make excellent use of the OEM Nav screen. The Nav is a neat "base" if you are a high-end gadget lover. No cables, no theft, no fuss, no muss!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 PM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HSE
Last time I checked, Honda/Acura didn't offer a navigation system for our cars - nice comparison though.

At the end of the day, I'll gladly pay $1700 for this one all over again. The integration is great, and the split-screen function is very useful. I'd rather my car have character than a touch screen Nav display, but that's just me!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
The controls are a little annoying but it is very useful and adds bling where most aftermarket units dont (though the flip up LCD head units with nav are nice). My nav is hooked up to play DVDs and to be used as a MP3 disc menu. The dash integration for this use is great as well.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
[LIST][*]Perspective mode - i.e. 3D drive "into the screen" view[*]Automatic acceptance of the legal nag screen after 6 or 7 seconds
Im not sure even what that means but the 1st line has me sold

So heres changing the topic up a little. What kind of things can the Nav do? Besides the direction

For example, u say updates, so when new updates are out, i go to MINI, get a new CD and it updates or i pay for it lets say and it installs it? Also, does that mean that then the CD tray gets turned into a dvd tray and u can maybe tweak the system and turn it into a DVD player? Just random thoughts.

The reason I also say money isnt an issue is that I already own a MINI. I love her and so when I get the new one, im selling this one to help pay for it so I look at it as more of a luxury buy for my age. So I can wait an extra month to throw in all the extra options and toys that I want.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...632461,00.html

Old 04-11-2006, 04:19 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a Nav for my 2006 Mini and Magellan Roadmate for my wife's van.

The Magellan is definitely more user friendly, but the screen is smaller and it's so ugly. Bottom line for me, it's a little more effort to use the OEM, but it looks so much cleaner and nicer, it's the way to go

Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I have the factory Nav. It is great for getting around but like any map it needs updates. I have popped in 2 new map DVDs in the year I have owned my car and that has made alot of difference. Also the Navi in the MINI isnt as intuative (sp?) as others. Like jump into a lexus/toyota and see theirs. Theirs is super each to use and find stuff compared to MINI's/BMW's.

But all in all I love the integrated look rather then the aftermarkey headunit.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:47 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Have jut placed the order for the an 06 MCSC, without nav, to replace y 03 MCS with nav. I do like the oem nav quite a bot, even though it is the CD-based. (BTW, I have NO legal splash screen). It is not the best oem nav out there, but a few features it does extremely well.
However...
for half that price I can get top of the line devices that I can put in any car, including a rental. (My experience with Hertz steers me away from Magellan - they have tried to make it simple enough that the below average moron renting their car can use it - that means lots of compromise).
Trade off is screen size and not integrated into the dash.
Upside, besides portability, is superior features, ability to add the chrono pack to get you the badly missing guages you need...

I jut wish that Garmin, TomTom, etc. would stick to knock-out navigation-related interface and features, and forget displaying photos and playing MP3s...once you start to go outside your core competence, the whole package suffers.
Anyone have experience with Lowrance for Nav? They have made marine navigation systems for years, and one of the reasons I am considering them is their screens are very visible in direct sunlight - important when you have a ragtop!!

Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 AM
sddave
3rd Gear
I have an MCS currently being built and ordered the Nav unit. I agree with the other posts that the BMW Nav is not as advanced as the Lexus/Toyota Nav, but it is still pretty good.

I spoke to ASK MINI yesterday and they actually told me that when I pick up my car, to get my MA to agree to throw in the next Nav update for free . ASK MINI indicated it is a fairly common practice, but you have to ask for it. ASK MINI also indicated to get it in writing, which they indicated that the MA's do not have a problem with.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sddave
I spoke to ASK MINI yesterday and they actually told me that when I pick up my car, to get my MA to agree to throw in the next Nav update for free . ASK MINI indicated it is a fairly common practice, but you have to ask for it. ASK MINI also indicated to get it in writing, which they indicated that the MA's do not have a problem with.
Good luck with that. The person on the line might agree with you but that doesn't mean they speak of the actual policy. My dealer told me they only give us what came with the car. I even spoke with the manager and that was the story. But that could be just my dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 To all Nav owners