R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Easy to negotiate dealer installed accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy to negotiate dealer installed accessories?

Just curious...when negotiating the price of the car (which I know there is very little room to budge) is it easier to negotiate prices on accessories or installation on things? For example, could I negotiate on a roof graphic, mats, sirius or aero kit installs, etc.??

Just curious.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:30 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I don't know about BMW or other MINI Dealers, but the line is they control how many cars enter the market and since the demand is high for those limited numbers of cars. They get the price they ask for. Sometimes you may find someone who has gotten a little extra, but that is the EXCEPTION to the rule not the RULE itself.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't order floor mats because I thought the dealer would throw them in

They didn't.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I ordered MIB and it was picked up sans mats. Got my Tax Refund check and then got mats!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:40 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a feeling, but I think my dealer kind of resented the fact that I didn't buy any extras from them. Got a relatively lightly optioned MCS, paid cash, didn't buy any extra warranties, etc. I had bought a set of carpet mats from Classic while I was waiting for the car, but asked on pickup, thinking an extra set of rubber mats might be cool, but they told me I would have to pay for them. We also discussed Clearbra and roofracks, but I ended up going straight to their contractor for the film (and saving $150), and got an aftermarket roof rack. I would suspect that if I had tacked on lots of extras, they might have been somewhat negotiable, but still overpriced.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiff
I don't know about BMW or other MINI Dealers, but the line is they control how many cars enter the market and since the demand is high for those limited numbers of cars. They get the price they ask for.
That simply is not true and misleading Sorry Dr Diff but your off base. MINI is not controlling how many cars enter the market. Rather, they can't produce enough for the current demand ... Economics 101. See all the articles on motoringfile.com where MINI is creating new factory capacity to try to keep up with demand.

To a certain degree you can negotiate on dealer installed options but dont expect much off. Do NOT let them charge sales tax for services either unless your state allows for that. For example, if the say $400 to install the driving lights, they can't charge you sales tax on that.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 AM
gt6
5th Gear
A lot of dealers have standard amounts that are charged for various installationsd but I think you'll find they are willing to negotiate to some extent. Of course the more dealer installed options you get, the easier it will be to negotiate.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Tricky Fish
4th Gear
When we bought our third MINI from the same dealer we were able to negotiate for some extras, but we didn't get anything on the first (don't remember if we did on the second).

Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
I didn't get any break on install of the extras. I was going to add the driving lights, but they wouldn't budge on the install price of $450. I thought I would add them later and saved $850. Now we're looking at a second MINI and they said they could trim some off the price for buying a second one. And as Chows4us stated, watch the sales tax issue for when you have extras added to your MINI at the time you pay for the MINI, as I bought my car in a neighboring state, they added sales tax on the install (labor) items which is not taxable in my home state. If you add these items later to your MINI and you go to a different state, then you have to pay the tax on those items and labor, if aplicable, to that state.