R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is the S worth the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 AM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the S worth the Money?

If you bought the car again is the s worth the money? I will be buying next year and Want to save some cash and go for the cooper, but I like power and want to go for the S, what are the pros and cons of the cooper?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes its well worth the money. I had two Coopers before I moved to the S.

There are many (many) threads discussing this. If you do a quick search I'm sure you'll find more opinions than you were looking for.

At the end of the day, they're both MINIs so they'll surely both make you happy

Old 04-05-2006, 06:33 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't skimp. I wish I hadn't. For other reasons than cost. I am kicking myself everyday.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I had a cooper before I got my Cooper S. Reason is I got the S is I wanted the extra power the supercharger gives. I like that extra power. If not for that you can get everything in a Cooper that the Cooper S offers.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
YeSSSSSSSSSS

Old 04-05-2006, 06:48 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I would buy it again. Totally bypassed the standard Cooper to begin with. After you option all the stuff that S comes with standard your not saving anything. Of course this depends on what you order.

My car (2003). $21,300. Cold weather, fogs and HK was all I wanted OE.

Optioned a Cooper with items the S comes with plus my options for my S came to be over $22,000. And I have seen other standard Coopers go for more.

I added aftermarket items (a lot for both but perhaps more for the S) if this is important to you, go for the S. Power is much better and has higher potential for increased output.

Good luck,

-C

Old 04-05-2006, 06:58 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
You mention that "you like power." This is a dead giveaway that you would want an MCS. It is an excellent value...one of the best around.

For my personal motoring though, the extra power is just that...excess, so I went w/ a Cooper. I'd buy another Cooper tomorrow....but then power isn't a big part of the equation for me. It'd get me to the next light faster, but I find little real thrill in that.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
You mention that "you like power." This is a dead giveaway that you would want an MCS. It is an excellent value...one of the best around.

For my personal motoring though, the extra power is just that...excess, so I went w/ a Cooper. I'd buy another Cooper tomorrow....but then power isn't a big part of the equation for me. It'd get me to the next light faster, but I find little real thrill in that.
Without turning this into another MC or MCS debate, I have to agree with you. Not only do I agree with you, but it's what I've done.

It's all a matter of how you will be using your car. The S is REALLY NICE, but in my commute, pointless.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CXRK
After you option all the stuff that S comes with standard your not saving anything. Of course this depends on what you order.
I can't see how this would ever be true. I don't want to sit here and look up all the numbers, but you hardly get anywhere near $3k with SS+ suspension, sport seats, and heavier wheels/runflats.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen anyone express the opinion that the S isn't worth the extra $.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I have an MSCS & recently I was given a 2006 fully loaded MC loaner (included sport & premium packages) for a few days from the dealer. I have read many threads that say the S has more power but the non-S handles/corners so much better. I can now say from experience that I disagree. When driving the MC on the curvy roads I encounter every day, I actually felt as if I had driven the car too hard into a corner & could actually lose control. That never happens with my MCS. I always thought about getting a 2nd Mini when I get my convertible paid off & I was considering a non-S for an everyday driver (for the gas mileage mostly) but after driving one I will stick with the S

Old 04-05-2006, 07:30 AM
scobib
5th Gear
I bought a Cooper - and while I may consider someday buying an S as a daily driver fun car, I've found the Cooper hangs right with the S on the track and at the autocross course. In the twisties, too. In fact, I'd say it's balanced better, is lighter, and a better handling package (overall).

Personally, I get a kick out of smoking my forced induction brethern at the track/autocross, as well as other, MUCH more powerful cars...

My autocross class, March 2006 event, BMWCCA:

1 Steve 1999 BMW M3 Coupe Estoril Blue 111.040
2 scobib 2003 MINI Cooper Pure Silver/Black 112.528
3 William 2000 BMW M-coupe Estoril Blue 112.706
4 David 1999 BMW M3 Blue 112.732
5 Richie 1998 BMW M3 White 113.054
6 Greg 2001 BMW 330Ci Black 113.767
7 Brad 2000 BMW M-coupe Estoril Blue 113.998
8 Stuart 1995 BMW M3 Avus Blue 114.132
9 Jeff 1999 BMW M3 Blue 116.639
10 Greg 1990 BMW M3 White 117.094
11 Jordan 1995 BMW ///M3 118.531
12 Miike 2000 BMW Z M Silver 120.458

Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flannelhippie
If you bought the car again is the s worth the money? I will be buying next year and Want to save some cash and go for the cooper, but I like power and want to go for the S, what are the pros and cons of the cooper?
This should be obvious. Look at the MC performance mod thread and you will see how many people are spending lots of $$ to come close to MCS hp . Do it right the first time and you will enjoy a full warranty. The idea that you like the power of the MCS should be a guiding light that helps you SAVE $$ in the long run by buying a MCS.

Oh my....I forgot........Excuse me for one moment.......I need to slip into my Flame suit

Ok...if I could have both a MC and MCS I would . I would make my MC an OE superstar loaded up with ever option as my daily driver. Then I would have a bone stock, stripped down MCS as my Mod platform car. I see way to many afterthought race/mod cars that get stripped of OE options so I would start from scratch on an S platform. Anyone see alot of leather sport seats, sunroof , nav , hk , S-lites and such on ebay or in the Market place? These are the first OEM high $ items to be removed on track cars and street mod (dare I say "Pro-Street")cars. I am just as guilty of this as some others on the forum. Look how many exhausts I have been through.

In the end you will take the advise from one of us (because we all know it all and are always right) and you will make a decision that only you will have to live with. So choose carefully!

Man does this flame suit get heavy after a while!

Old 04-05-2006, 08:02 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
I went through the same thing in 03 when I bought my cooper. Bottom line cost was important for me so I went with the coop. My car is now crashed and I am going to buy a new one. A friend has an 03 MCS on his lot, same color even and I have driven it to compare.

Here's my observations.

Up to 3500 in 3rd gear the cooper is a more lively car. After that the S is notably more powerful takes over. Handling is exceptional on both cars. The S feels a bit heavier. I average just over 30 mpg only 15% on the freeway.

When I bought my coop I had no intentions of modding or tracking the car, but that just happened

If you compare bone stock to bone stock, the S costs $3450 more. For that you get SS+ suspension ($500) Sports seats ($300) and 16 inch wheels with runflats ($600) and an extra 53 HP for the remaining $2050.

If you have any intention of increasing HP, that is a bargain.

This time aroung I am getting an S, partly because I want to try something different, mostly for the upgrade potential of the S, but in no way have I ever regretted my original decision.

One more thing, to get the most out of a cooper, you really really need to learn how to drive it. Keep the rpms in the 4000 to 5500 range, and heel toe shift.

Either way you go, you will love your car, and whatever you choose, stick with it an don't try to second guess yourself. It's a waste of good motoring energy

Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asodestrom
When I bought my coop I had no intentions of modding or tracking the car, but that just happened
This is what happened to most of us Think ahead young Skywalker!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:38 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scobib
Personally, I get a kick out of smoking my forced induction brethern at the track/autocross, as well as other, MUCH more powerful cars...
That is a great feeling, huh?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
You said you liked power, so go for the S, it's just that simple...

Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
get the s. its worth the money

Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Tricky Fish
4th Gear
I went from a Cooper to an S last month and I couldn't be happier. This is my first manual and I'm still learning to drive it, but in the first week the difference was like night and day. This car is SO much more powerful and fun driving around town, but I do get enjoyment out of speeding up to the next red light. I may not get anywhere faster, but at least I have more fun doing it. And I've found that driving the manual is a lot more fun in general. Plus now when I have 600 pounds worth of my guy friends in the car, it still goes, not like the Cooper dragging its feet. There are tons of other things I could say about this, but overall, the S is definitely worth it!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Would I like an S? Yeah !! Was I even in the market for a MINI from the start ? No, I hated BMW's MINI from the start. I've owned 5 classics in my life, and the way BMW was harrassing Mini shops in England about copyright laws made me upset. Fast forward to November 2003. I had just payed my truck off the previous month, and there on a lot at a Auto broker was a little Solid Gold MINI Cooper. I was drawn to this car for some reason. I went and checked it out, and the wife gave me her blessing. 4 days later, Lilly was mine. Basically I rescued my MINI. Yes, an S maybe better, but from what I've seen around here, S owners don't know how to drive their cars, because I sure keep up with them.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BadMINI
... an S maybe better, but from what I've seen around here, S owners don't know how to drive their cars, because I sure keep up with them.
Come down to my neck of the woods. We know how to drive our S around here

Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
When I bought my Cooper it was kind of an impulse thing. I wish I did I little more research, I would have waited, saved a little more and got the S. My Mods right now is basically the same amount of $ as if I got an S if not more... But an S will be my next car... some day...

Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
I initially had an 03 Cooper and I was definitely happy with it... had a mods here and there... but when the opportunity arose that I was able to sell my cooper and order an S, I was all over it.... 2 years in a coop and now going on almost 2 years with my 05 S, I can say that it was way worth the upgrade.... but whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
If you like power then get the S.
Cuz if you want MORE power later... it'll be an easy fix.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:12 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
if you're waiting til next year, i'd sit back and wait for the reviews
of the new turbo motors.

if you were buying this model year, i'd definitely think about the S.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
No...Its not WORTH it.....I would not get the S again! the fun is in the car is handeling not the acceleraton. I too thought I wanted the power of the S

I am still looking for the person who is sorry they bought a regular MC who would trade me for my MCS and give me $3000 diffrence in cash

Quick Reply: R50/53 Is the S worth the Money?