R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Commute to Work... share your tales.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:12 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Commute to Work... share your tales.

<Edit: I wanted to add a note that I IN NO WAY CONDONE STREET RACING! THIS STORY IS NOT ABOUT RACING. This was a spirited drive on an open road, but I was in NO WAY racing anyone. Driving quickly is VERY different from racing. If you want to race, go see SCCA and find a closed course. Spirited driving is just for fun, but you have to know when to be safe. Please drive responsibly!>

I thought I might start a thread to share my favorite commute to work... these stories don't have to be long, and your commute doesn't have to be the coolest country road. Just share your favorite commuting moment.

Today I was commuting to work, and there was a 'youngin' in a beatup Nissan Maxima tailgating me. His car had the requisite "FEAR THIS" sticker across the windshield, some illuminated washer jets, three crappy looking big-rims and one spare.

I'm generally level headed so I moved to the right to let him pass... I have no need to beat up the already-handicap. Instead of being smart and cruising right on by me, he decided to move over with me an continued to tailgate. As we approached the interchange between Rt. 2 W and 95N he was STILL right on my ***, and obviously TRYING to be a *****. This was VERY annoying... I was getting less-level.

The ramp between these two highways is one of my favorites, and I take it every day on my way to work. I know each curve, dip, curb, and corner oh-so-well. It starts with a gentle turn to the right as you enter the exit-area and this long gentle right is followed by another gentle left which has an unusually long straight ending in a sharper right that merges onto the next highway rather abruptly. There is usually fast moving traffic here, and its good to keep your speed up to ease reentry.

So me and my newfound nemesis are approaching this exit, and I have my blinker on indicating my intentions. My nemesis does not indicate anything, but I know where he is headed. And he is intent on hanging on...

I downshift. Twice.

225/50/R15 Meats dig in, take a set, and rocket me through the first turn of the exit ramp. My nemesis is stunned, and is obviously struggling to keep up. I'm in third at about 5500rpm and shift to fourth dropping down to 5000rpm as I sweep through the left hander, approaching the final right hand turn I fade to the left to smooth out the apex, and sweep through just right, and my inside tires just brush the inner curb. I exit onto 95N and a hare under XXXmph smooth and in control. No traffic is present (luckily) and I merge gently and slow to a more reasonable speed, Nemesis is nowhere in sight...

Now normally this would be the end of the story, as I am only on this road for 5-7 minutes, and normally a reasonable nemesis would get the hint and would go about his business... but this one was determined. Much like a box-o-angry-Africanized-bees, this guy is intent on making me Fear This. Riiiight.

Anyway, I am cruising along at 76ish (slower than the very sparse traffic actually) and here comes my Nemesis. Coffee-can exaust at full-wheeze, spare tire scrambling for some sense of reasonable traction, operator at full red-misting-daze... damn. I just want some coffee.

I'm out of the way though, and I am hoping he'll just cruise on past so I can continue to laugh and drink my coffee (note: MINI travel mugs MUST have a fully-sealed top, just in case). Now as he flies up, he pulls in behind me again, and I realize I can't win against stupid. He is determined to redefine the term, and so I must leave this game.

I look around a bit, and traffic is unusually light in our immediate area. Again, I know this road like the back of my hand, and I know traffic pretty darn well. I have about 5 miles of exit-free highway to work with, and my exit happens soon afterwards.... hmmm. What to do...?

I downshift....

<pause>

<insert a$$ load of thrust accompanied by wicked supercharger wail via my ALTA CAI>

I am giggling. No. Full on belly laughing as I watch my Nemesis' face rock back and fourth as he is trying to coax a little more umph from is dying sack of turd. In an instant I am out of sight. I slow down quickly and take my exit, my Nemesis has long since lost sight of me.

I think of him from time to time, prowling the streets, singing is one-note-coffee-can-flatulant-song. I giggle. Then I laugh. Who knew 15 minutes of commuting could be so much fun? Damn I love my MINI!

Well, I hope you enjoyed the ride. Be safe everyone!

ciao,

RM2k5

Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Maybe you oughta put this under the road rage thread since the guy was antagonizing you.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't they take it to the track?
Fear this sticker...lol

-alpinamike

Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 AM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In just in case of any locking of any sort

Old 03-24-2006, 07:44 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by K9MINI
In just in case of any locking of any sort
Oh yeah, forgot about that ....

IBTL

Old 03-24-2006, 08:49 AM
WingNut
3rd Gear
This is why a pre-05 MINI is so sweet. We can turn our rear sprayer straight back, and that thing pees out a copious amount of fluid. I like to mark my territory!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WingNut
This is why a pre-05 MINI is so sweet. We can turn our rear sprayer straight back, and that thing pees out a copious amount of fluid. I like to mark my territory!
Nice. I envy you.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI2005
the interchange between Rt. 2 W and 95N
Where are you? Mass? If so, I take the same route to work every morning. :D

Unfortunately at my time there is plenty of traffic and things are clogged up. :(

Careful as there is often a cop parked just past the mcD's and 2A bridge (where I exit).

But anyone can attest to that being a wonderful ramp, I believe modeled after some old raceway.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Aviators
3rd Gear
A Carrera 4S owner and I had some fun along the coast of Southern CA on my way home from work while we both had paper plates on the car.

When we pulled up to a light he waved and complimented the car.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
I wish my commute was that fun.

I turn left out of the parking lot of my apartment. Turn right. Turn Right. Turn Right. I'm at work.

Total drive distance: 0.49mi

I love not having to deal with traffic.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit

I turn left out of the parking lot of my apartment. Turn right. Turn Right. Turn Right. I'm at work.

What a bummer short ride to work in a MINI though .

Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CeridianMN
What a bummer short ride to work in a MINI though .
True, but don't think I motor any less. I just passed the year mark and hit 25,000 last night.

So although the commute may be small, it gives me more time to motor where I want to be motoring.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:42 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit

do u work at home or something? you basically end up the block you start off with.. haha

Old 03-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Aviators
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jerjer

do u work at home or something? you basically end up the block you start off with.. haha

Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 PM
drg1138
1st Gear
Back in my GTI days, I used to have to confront a myriad of Civics, Altamas, Accords, etc, coming home from tech school. I used to have to take the infamous Hempstead turnpike. Home of the "Freeport Flyers" and the Rice R"a"ckets.

They always tried and always failed to best me and my tuned up GTI.

I kinda miss them, these days I drive to work in Stop and Go traffic.
I am lucky to hit 40MPH.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Well, in NE Ohio, the **** SUVs and minivans believe they own the road. They are ALWAYS cruising in the left lane, going exactly the speed limit when there is ample space in the right lane for them to get their non-drivin', grocery gettin', gas guzzling tanks out the way. And they are usually talking on the phone. More than likely setting up playdates and talking about the recent episode of Desperate Housewives. Drives me freakin' crazy. So what should be a pleasant, 5 or 10 over the speed limit spirited ride (there are quite a few nice curves) turns into me having a caniption (sp?) over the tanks cruisin the left lane. Even flashing the lights doesn't get them to move over.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
eVal
6th Gear
This doesn't qualify as a commute really, but the other day I encountered an Enzo driving in SF - no races with him I assure you

I love living around here - I always see amazing cars and have fantastic roads to drive even though I am constantly challenged and frightened/angered by bad drivers/cyclists/pedestrians who do crazy or thoughtless things.