R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tire & Wheel Road Hazard Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think?: Tire & Wheel Road Hazard Plan

I am taking delivery of my new MINI on Tuesday evening (pant. . pant ) and I know one of the "extras" they're going to offer me is a Tire and Wheel Road Hazard Protection Plan. Supposedly provides tire and/or wheel replacement, among other things, in the event of something ugly happening where the rubber meets the road.
$595.00 for a five year plan.

So . . . I'm wondering. All you folks out there with some big miles in MINIs, who run over and through all kinds of things with your cars - Does a plan like this make any sense?

Note: I live in Baltimore, where the streets can resemble a war zone and despite good vigilance and your best efforts to steer clear, eventually you're gonna jar your teeth pretty good. Initially anyway, and probably till they wear out, I'll be running all season runflats on S-Lites.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Do it...tire and wheel costs are extremly high. Touch one curb or damage a tire it almost payed for itself. I wish I had the option when I purchased my MCS in Germany a year ago.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 AM
ldye
1st Gear
Try to work the price down a bit. There's a lot of mark up on these warranties. You should be able to get it for min of $500.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ldye
Try to work the price down a bit. There's a lot of mark up on these warranties. You should be able to get it for min of $500.
Good idea . . . maybe I'll stop by the dealer today and get a copy of the contract just to check out the fine print - and maybe mention on the way out how tempting the Plan would be if the price were a bit lower.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
That was one of the dealer options the F & I guy tried to push on me when I bought my car - one of many totally about $4000.

In 32 years of driving I have never damaged a wheel or had any kind of road hazard destroy a tire. $595 will pretty much buy a new set of non runflats and you can pick up a used S lite from here on the board for less than $100.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
become1
3rd Gear
We got it when I purchased my car. They said it would cover any aftermarket wheels/tires so it made sense for me. My car likes to have new shoes every once in awhile

Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
Get it...it's like gap insurance...you don't realize how great it is until you have to use it. I got a nail in one of my run flats. Because of the location (lucky me), the tire could not be repaired. A new tire cost $300.oo. I bought it and sent the reciept to the insurance company...and got a refund, no questions asked. Mick

Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Get it if you're getting the run flats, or if you drive a lot. Take a look a tthe price of a replacement tire - I don't think it would be worth it for a standard 15 inch tire.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
I signed up for it but the price I was quoted was WAY higher for 5 years of coverage - I think $1295 for Five Years coverage. Now, I was walking off the lot with a set of JCW 18" wheels and a set of Sport Bullet wheels (for my snows), so maybe the insurance has to do with how much you pour into wheels. My wife who thinks such things are normally a rip-off even went along with it.

Read the contract carefully - I DON['T think you are covered for just superficial curb damage - even though the dealer said I was (and I would fight this on that basis if I need to). I think it says something like wheel damage impairing wheel function or some such thing.

Of all the things that I would want special insurance on, my wheels and tires are high on the list (maybe along with mushrooming strut towers.....)

Your rate may also be in line with normal insurance rates in your part of the country versus NJ. This IS New Jersey after all, home to the highest car insurance in the nation....

Bill

Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Done Deal

Well, I took delivery last night and decided AGAINST taking the Road Hazard Plan. Thanks for everyones' input. Initially, I would've thought I was going to violate my general policy of never taking such things but my wife was adamantly opposed and felt the odds were worth the gamble. Knock on wood. Guess this'll just end up being one of those "see, I told you so" kind of things we can hold over each other's heads . . . as we go motoring along.