R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 crash test ratings??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 08:34 PM
arxix
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone heard of how well it did in the crash tests? Its a bimmer so you know its tank like,...but i still havnt seen any website with the results on it. And i was currious if anyone knew how bad it was on insurance?

thanks!

Old 07-17-2002, 06:48 AM
seemunkee
2nd Gear
As far as I know they haven't done any in the US. The problem is that the agency needs to go in and buy a car without it being known that it is being purchased for crash testing. With the high demand that has been pretty tough.
There has been some testing in Europe, look here http://www.euroncap.com/details.php3?id=car_112_2002
Keep checking here for future US results
http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002Mini.html

Old 07-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Crash test reports in Europe are mixed, the front seat ratings are a 4 out of 5, but the rear seat passenger rating was a 1 out of 5, fortunately for me, I don't have many rear seat passengers.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:18 AM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Storer,
From what I've heard.... the above post by seemunkee is correct.
I hadn't heard details on the rear seat rating so this is news to me.
If you would like to see video footage, we have an off-set crash video of the Cooper. It is located on our Video sectioin.

Note: After reading the link posted by seemunkee..... the side impact was actually higher than the front impact. Both rated at 4 of 5 stars. The podestrian score was 1 of 5.
SW

Old 07-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
It wasn't the rear pasenger rating that got a 1/5... It was the padestrian rating... I understood it to mean, if ou hit someone, they're probally going to die

Old 07-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Joan
Neutral
I heard that DOT recently conducted side impact testing in Ohio. The report has not been published, but I am waiting to get information from a friend that works at DOT.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 AM
arxix
Neutral
Thankyou or the knowledge,...i hope to be ordering mine soon. As far as the crash test data goes,....as long as im ok its ok, and as I never have rear pasengers Im not that worred about a bookbag in the back seet that mightj be decapitaded.As far as the poor podestrain rating..........they shouldnt be in my way...little common sence never hurt anyone.
Thankyou...
Alan

Old 07-18-2002, 06:50 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
I know first hand how they stand up in crashes. In January I went round a corner a bit too fast and hit some ice. I couldn't regain control of the car and flipped it into a ditch where upon it rolled several times before hitting a lamp post 10 ft in the air. The car was a total write-off. Each window had smashed which resulted in my only injury, a small cut on my finger. The seat belt saved my life with a doubt. An ambulance was already on its way as another car had previously crashed and the Paramedic told me how he had pulled dead bodies out of cars with less damage. The interior was in brilliant condition and the overall structure of the car withstood the impact(s) well. The radio was even playing as I climbed out. I have some pictures that will be on this site soon.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:50 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
>>I heard that DOT recently conducted side impact testing in Ohio. The report has not been published, but I am waiting to get information from a friend that works at DOT.

I called ODOT today, as I live in Ohio, and would be very interested in results of crash tests-- if they were not good, could even sway my decision, since I will have rear passengers. ODOT didn't have any knowledge of crash testing; Called Public Safety Commission, and State Attorney General-- all had know knowledge. Have you found any more information?

Old 07-18-2002, 08:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I know first hand how they stand up in crashes. In January I went round a corner a bit too fast and hit some ice. I couldn't regain control of the car and flipped it into a ditch where upon it rolled several times before hitting a lamp post 10 ft in the air. The car was a total write-off. Each window had smashed which resulted in my only injury, a small cut on my finger. The seat belt saved my life with a doubt. An ambulance was already on its way as another car had previously crashed and the Paramedic told me how he had pulled dead bodies out of cars with less damage. The interior was in brilliant condition and the overall structure of the car withstood the impact(s) well. The radio was even playing as I climbed out. I have some pictures that will be on this site soon.
>>
>>_________________
>>Blue/ White Cooper. Getting Silver/ Black Cooper S late 2002.

Boyracer - seriously? Well glad you're ok and still motoring...I'd love to see those photos if you don't mind!

Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 PM
ebateman
1st Gear
My favorite passage from the European crash test results:

"Pedestrian Protection -- This was a poor performance, but the bonnet leading edge proved to be not as bad as the rest of the pedestrian impact area."

So if you're going to run over someone, make sure you hit them head-on to ensure the least amount of damage to the bonnet and the pedestrian...

Old 07-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Yes, I'm just going to go around scarring old ladies so they fall, after-which I'm going to run them over, making sure not to touch the Bonnet? mmmmmhmmm