R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Can a MINI be towed behind an RV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 07:39 AM
BigTom
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a MINI be towed behind an RV?

Can a Mini be what is known as in Rv'ing circles as a dinghy. If so, are there any special modifications and equipment required besides the tow bar/electrical?

Old 07-15-2002, 08:11 AM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
The MINI Can NOT be towed like a regular car. It will severely damage it!!

If you look in your trunk you will find a screw type device that attaches to the rear of the MINI. This is the only place you can tow the MINI from. That is why people who break down in their MINIs have to have a flat bed come pick it up.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:47 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
But even if it were possible, just think how much fun the MINI will have being towed behind an RV.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:59 PM
rspit2
Neutral
Big Tom,

I posed the same question on the miniusa.com site, and got an official email reply from Mini customer relations dept. I specifically asked if the mini (with MANUAL transmission) could be towed 4 wheels down, and, if so, is there was a manufacturer of a tow bar specifically designed for the MINI. His answer was that the MINI could NOT be towed 4 wheels on the ground as it would damage the transmission, and that MINI does not recommend a tow bar, as it would compromise the specially designed crash/crumplezone front-end structure. He did say you could tow the MINI on a dolly; however, he did not specify the type of dolly. I imagine you could get a dolly for the MINI, and then it wouldn't make any difference if it was a manual or cvt. I don't believe his answer on damaging the transmission though. He probably did not distinguish between manual and automatic when researching it with his folks, and, most likely, his answer regarding the tow bar came straight from MINI's legal department. I would continue to ask around. I am going to find out for sure myself, since my wife and I own two MINI's - MCS and MC - and we also have an RV.

regards,
Rudy Spit - So. Cal.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:54 PM
TminiS
3rd Gear
I don't think I believe that it would ruin the manual transmission either. Does that mean you can't coast down a hill in neutral? I don't think they would take a risk like that, you know? :smile:

Old 07-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
TminiS,
Actually they say in the owners manual that you shouldn't coast down a hill in neutral.

Old 07-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
>>TminiS,
>>Actually they say in the owners manual that you shouldn't coast down a hill in neutral.
>>
>>

Really??

Thats weird I wonder what kind of messed up clutch/transmission design they have used.

Old 07-26-2002, 02:44 PM
rspit2
Neutral
That is true. The manual does say not to coast in neutral. But I believe this particular warning is in the section on brakes. Once again, I believe the legal department made sure this was added to the owner's manual to absolve BMW of wrong-doing should some idiot not understand the physical laws of nature and stay in neutral while going down a 5% grade, burning up the brakes, or worse, doing 100+mph, then trying the brakes out in order to slow down before the next sharp turn.

I'll continue scouring the net and asking around. I'm sure there's a reasonable solution out there, and I'll bet we'll be able to tow a manual MINI 4 wheels on the ground without doing any harm or compromising the crash-worthiness of the car (using a tow bar). When I find out, I'll post a reply to this thread. Anyone else, please post here too if you find a definitive answer!

Rudy

Old 01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Good thread! I was hoping to find a tow bar that I could use in cojunction with my Toyota P/U.

I'd like to look into some of the local SCCA events in the future and the thought of cramming a set of tires and other gear in my daily driver is a little harrowing.

If I can find a bar I can load everything in the Toyota and head to the track with MINI in tow.

I see the thead is a couple of years old. If anyone has current info it would be appreciated!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Carissa @ D&R MINI
2nd Gear
I have a couple of customer's that have covered trailers that they pull their MINI into and pull the trailer behind the Coach. Seems to be the perfect way to do it!

Or their's always the coach that has a built in garage specifically for a MINI!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:54 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Being front wheel drive and with the front wheels lifted on a tow dolly, what would it matter because the rear wheels are drag wheels anyway.

I have towed other cars or trucks this way, either forward or backwards using the drag wheels and have never caused a problem.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
bradman
2nd Gear
I'm sure that some sort of tow bar can be rigged up to tow the MINI. It might mess up the front bumper cover, etc., though a little bit - access to the tow bar brackets and such. Towing a manual transmission car in neutral will not hurt anything (forgetting to take it out of gear and put it in neutral will, though!!!). I've towed a front wheel drive race car around for years using a tow dolly. Because the race car is lowered, I need to use planks of 2" x 6" s to make a more gentle slope on the dolly's ramps when I load and unload the car. The MINI is pretty low, so there might be the same issue there. Also, tow dollys come in different widths - I got the width that is good for small and mid-sized vehicles. That would be fine for the MINI. One problem with tow dollys, however, is that you can't back up with them like you can with a trailer - they will jackknife....trust me.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
JCW04
4th Gear
Bradman-

Thanks for your input, looks good, and point taken on the jackknifing!

I tracked down some info on a tow bar made by Blue Ox with an application for the MINI.

http://www.aemfg.com/Baseplates/bmw.html

http://www.aemfg.com/Baseplates/JPGS/Bx1301.jpg

It actually looks pretty cool. Unfortunately no dealers here in Honolulu. I'm planning on e-mailing them for price info. I can imagine the shipping will probably kill me!

Aloha!

John
JCW04

Old 01-13-2005, 09:08 AM
bradman
2nd Gear
Hi JCW04,

Those Blue Ox tow bars look pretty slick. One other option, though, have you considered a small utility trailer to tow behind your MINI? Lots of Solo and some road race people do that to haul their race tires, etc.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Check these links out, one site is working on a RV w/ a space for a Mecedes S Class.

http://www.terrawind.com/

Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by bradman
One problem with tow dollys, however, is that you can't back up with them like you can with a trailer - they will jackknife....trust me.
Yes you can and I've done it many times. It just takes a little more thought.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Sort of OnTopic, here's a MINI towing a Mini

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&postcount=60

Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
I got an e-mail from Blue Ox stating that they do not have the appropriate mounting plate for the MINI yet. I guess the picture on their web site was an R&D piece.

Small utility trailer is looking like a good all around cure. Might go trailer shopping this weekend. We have a couple of fabricators here on island.

Thanks for the input!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
I think the reason they don't want you coasting down hill in neutral (I coast to red lights all the time), is more general saftey, and because of leagal reasons, like someone mentioned. If you're coasting in neutral and you suddenly die or something, your car isn't going to stop any time soon, whereas if you're in a gear, you're going to slow down faster and eventually the engine will die and you won't move anywhere. But hey, I'm always coasting in neutral, I think it saves gas, though it probably doesn't, plus sometimes I'm just too lazy to downshift.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
hchase86
1st Gear
i think this is very possible, i would recommend using one of the trailers that has all four wheels of the car off of the ground for the mini c. if you are looking to purchase a trailer, i know that uhaul sells out their old uhaul equipment. give it a shot and best of luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TminiS
I don't think I believe that it would ruin the manual transmission either. Does that mean you can't coast down a hill in neutral? I don't think they would take a risk like that, you know? :smile:
The problem is that it is POSSIBLE with a manual trans car that it would shift into a gear if the right situation would arise (such as a severe bump or hard turn). If it went into gear your tranny and engine would be toast in a few miles.

It has happened and actually with race cars they will bungy the shifter for even short moves.

In a FWD car the only safe tow is front wheels on a dolly or all wheels off the ground.

As for the warning not to put it in neutral is because it is a loss of control; the engine can be used to slow and control the car downhill...

BTW, all cars have the same warnings, it is just that the expensive cars know the owners wil try to collect on such stupid moves on their warantees...

Last edited by thecigarman; 06-10-2009 at 06:34 PM.