R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 HELP Me decide...Keep Loaded Cooper or Get New CooperS???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Chimchim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a silver/silver roof Cooper LOADED:
combo#3, #1, #2, sport suspension, chome ext.,
GPS Nav Sys, Tint Windows, and 6 CD changer...etc. etc.
BUT, I REALLY Regret not getting a Loaded CooperS!!!
Am I crazy?
More Horse Power and 17" wheels ??? What else?
Is it worth it? Help me to decide!
I have already considered; loss of $, wait time, etc.
HELP!
S Owners/Drivers; any advice would be appreciated,
Signed "The grass is always greener/MINI Lover

Old 07-14-2002, 12:53 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
Why don't you just drive it, enjoy the heck out of it, and when all the 'S' hype has died down( might take 2 years, but that is ok!) then do the trade. I think you will enjoy/appreciate the 'S' much more. There might be times in the future when somebody cuts you off w/ their 'S' and smiles as they do it. But in the long run, that really isn't going to happen to often. Unless you attend a lot of rallys.
A fully loaded Cooper is a rarity in itself right now!!
Good luck with your decision
Motor on!!

Old 07-14-2002, 01:00 PM
miniac91
2nd Gear
I agree wait till this S trill is passed by. You 'll survive in a loaded cooper!!

Old 07-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Mikey8629
1st Gear
You already have your car, an S will take forever to be delivered. Drive it until you can get an S off the lot, and enjoy it

Old 07-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I would keep it!! I bet there will be some extraordinary engine mods soon and as the car weighs less and has some cool chrome and finishes, I sure would! Will be a better autocrosser!
:smile:

Old 07-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
It's only about 50 pounds less.... You can put on a lighter exhaust on, and take out the passenger seat, and there you go, they weigh the same! There are also going to be a lot of awsome Cooper S mods that will bring it far, far over 200hp! Get the "S"!

Old 07-14-2002, 03:34 PM
virafp
3rd Gear
I can honestly say that the S with Sport packa nd premium is far superior in performance - highly recommend it.

Old 07-14-2002, 04:13 PM
I8AMINI
2nd Gear
I myself bought a loaded Cooper S, I drove a regular Cooper, but the S, just puts a bigger smile on my face. But I wouldn't worry, in a few years when they start to make the V6 version (or so I heard) you can jump on that!!

Old 07-14-2002, 05:14 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
I also say drive your loaded Cooper for a year or two then turn it in for an S once they are more readily available, all the bugs have been worked out, and there is no markup or wait. I think that's what I'll end up doing. The Cooper is awesome, adorable fun, but I would like more power. But, we're lucky to have one now when a lot of people don't, so I'll wait to upgrade.

Old 07-14-2002, 07:14 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, of course I'm an S fan but since you already HAVE a Cooper, you should probably stick with it. In a few yrs, an 'S' will be more readily avail and it should be even more powerful. Maybe you can even get a convertible. You never know. But the future MINIs esp the 'S' only have to get better and faster.

Old 07-14-2002, 07:19 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same decision to make ... I think you have to ask your wallet.
Having retested the "S" after driving my Cooper for a few weeks, I noticed NO difference in handling or power - but I do not generally rev up to 5000+.

If you are always revving really hard, you will probably see the power difference; otherwise you are paying $3K+trade-in losses for an extra gear and a hole in the hood.

Me ... I desire the best. But which one is that!?

Old 07-14-2002, 08:03 PM
DomTom
1st Gear
I vote "S".

Old 07-14-2002, 09:01 PM
csasso
2nd Gear
Get exactly, I mean exactly what you want. The last major purchases I have had (new truck and new house) I got the exact one I wanted. I took the time and wrote down everything that was important to me, for both it was a very extensive list. After five years of my truck I love it just as much now as the day I bought it, I think mainly because whenever I drive it I never think "oh if I only would of gotten this or that" it is exactly what I wanted. I did the same for my house and love living here.

When I got my cooper I did the same thing, I built it on the Internet dozens of times and finally came up with the exact configuration of cooper I wanted. The only thing I was iffy on was the stereo and the 16 inch wheels, when I mean iffy its that I like the 15 inch 8 spoke and 16 inch 5 spoke the same (must be white) and actually would like to have a set of both. The stereo with my hearing nowadays just doesn’t matter because I frankly can’t tell the difference anymore between a good and great stereo. So when the dealer told me he had some cars in for immediate purchase, but were not exactly what I wanted I said thanks but I have waited this long I could wait another six months or a year to get the exact car I wanted.

You can imagine how shocked I was when he told me he had a BRG with every option I wanted with the 16 inch 5 spoke wheels but not the fancy Harmon kardon stereo due in a week. I snapped that up and love it, every time I drive it you can't believe how much joy I get from it because it is exactly what I wanted.

So my advice is decide exactly what you want and get it. It doesn't mater if its a loaded S or a basic cooper as long as its what you want in every detail then you will be happy with it forever.

Old 07-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Nolan
2nd Gear
Forget the "S", it's not that big a deal except for the hype. I was one of the first in Phoenix to get an "S", but I was one of the first on the waiting list 3 years ago. I drove the Cooper and even though it was pretty doggie in performance, figured the "S" would be a big difference.....it wasn't, even though it had 50 plus more hp, it weighed almost 175 lbs more. At higher speeds you can tell a difference, but low end both models are pretty poor, certainly neither is a true sports car. The 0-60 times they are advertising are a joke, the "S" is realistically around 8.5 and the Cooper is probably closer to 9.5 to 10.The Cooper with sports suspension is actually posting faster times through the cones because it handles better because of the weight advantage. Anyway, I put 2000 miles on mine and sold it for $2K more than I paid with tax since I paid MSRP, so nothing lost except really dissappointed. They are both cute cars, well built and potentially great cars if they could have gotten 2+ liters and 225 horses, so I think they really blew the performance part, but so did the PT Cruiser and every other car they initially bring to market. Anyway, I'll give the mini another try down the line when they get the performance right, but I'd just keep your Cooper if you like it and wait a couple years till they get a better performing engine, because you will get killed on a trade in for an "S" for very little boost in performance I already took my 2K profit and put it down on the new Z....with almost 300 hp and 0-60 a little over 5 sec, I'm looking for a lot more performance from my toy. Also what's the deal with the seats they put in the Coopers. I got the leather sports seats and they are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever experienced. I drove to San Diego and back and thought I was going to need a Chiropracter. If I would have kept it, the first thing I would have done was put in Ricaro Seats. Good luck on your decision, but be patient till they get it right, always takes a few years...cheers!

Old 07-14-2002, 11:13 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It would appear that we have an Anti-MINI activist here. Nolan...........not trying to start a flame war here, but I think you bought you Cooper for the wrong reason(s). If you were looking for something more performance orientated like the Z or others, why bother going through all the trouble of buying a MINI. Wouldn't a solid test drive be able to give you a good opinion? If you're only goal in owning a vehicle is achieving good 1/4 mile times, I could have sold you my Lightning. So before you bash your experince with the MINI, and send out a negative statement raging against it, I think your problem was due to the fact of not knowing what you wanted. Both the Cooper and Cooper'S' aren't cars with break neck speed abilities. Anyone could figure that out before owning one. I'm trying to figure why you went through everything to get one, and then bash it for not measuring up to your need for speed. A simple test drive or two would have settled that for you I'm sure. I know when I'm in a bad car. Only takes a long test drive or two to figure that out. So please don't be taking your frustrations out on a car that you're unfairly measuring up to others in a different class.
The reason for giving up my Lighnting was due to an excessive amount of tickets, can't drive in winter, hurts driving in rain, major clams for gas, license suspensions, etc. I wanted a vehicle that has a reasonable amount of hp, something to keep me from going Mach3 too soon, great handling, and above all else, a lot of style. Took the Cooper'S' for a rip once, and knew that I have found exactly what I'm looking for. It doesn't sound like you thought through your purchase before acquiring it. Before you talk something down, make sure you not only give it a fair chance, but also ask yourself why you are buying that product before you even open your wallet.
As for the rest of us, I'm sure we all know what we're getting into, and why we are going through the process of acquiring this vehicle. Anyone who doesn't have fun driving a MINI, and does nothing but spew out negative feedback, obviously bought it for the wrong reasons, and didn't deserve to have one in the first place.
Nothing personal. But you're that one who made the first attack. No harm done. You came out ahead of the game with your $2K. Have fun with your Z.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:25 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Chimchim;
In response to your question of whether or not to give up your Cooper for an 'S'. I'd say if the one you have now suits your needs, wants and style, keep it. Minus the additional, if you're absolutely content with what you have outside of that, and is exactly what you wanted, keep it. The 'S' only has 50 more hp. It wouldn't be worth giving it up now and wait forever for an 'S'. But if it eats at you forever, put your order for an 'S' in now, and keep the Cooper in the meantime.
I personally would have asked myself this question before placing the order, or acquiring it.
Being that you'd most likely lose money on making the switch, why not take that money now instead, and buy some mods. Wouldn't take too much to get close to an additional 50hp. No one can really tell you what to do. It's really your choice and preference into what YOU are wanting.
Cheers,

Old 07-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Nolan
2nd Gear
madman....don't be so defensive, laugh! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that will take a pass on the cooper and "S"....different strokes for different folks....first of all, I never got to drive the "S", only the cooper...so I bought it thinking the performance would be substaintially better than the cooper which it wasn't....maybe I'm the only one who bought an "S" without actually driving it first....and no I don't buy a car strictly on 1/4 mile speeds or 0-60 speeds...but I do like a car that can quickly accelerate up mountain passes while passing cars, which unfortunately the "S" wasn't that great on my trip to San Diego going through the mountain passes....if you read my entire previous post....I said both cars were very cute, well built, just lacking in adequate performance, but that is probably BMW skimped on the engine not going with a true bimmer engine and instead going with a Chrysler (not much trouble getting a smaller but high performance engine in a Boxter) didn't anyone learn anything from the PT Cruiser poor engine choice!
As a in town runabout, it's a terrific car, easy to park, fun to drive and well built, only defect I had was the defective rear hatch which rattled and the dealership in Scottsdale fixed in a day! And no, it is never a hassle to get to drive a car for a month, put 2K miles on it and give it back and make 2K in the process....I'd do that almost any time....As I said I'll revisit the mini again in a few years as I love the potential the car offers...my dream mini would be a regular cooper without the garrish looking hood scoop, the over the top rear spoiler, or the chrome gas cap, 225 hp, ricaro seats, sport suspension with the smaller 16" wheels...also for the Phoenix market with the high heat, the moonroof is terribble without a solid inside cover to block the sun, the screen is pretty worthless as I had to put in a sun block between the screen and moonroof, so I personally would lose the moonroof and also the chrome gearshift with the moonroof only gets to 180 degrees from the Ariz sun, so all leather there would help for Arizona.....good luck with your mini madman....it's a great car with unlimited potential over time....I would certainly pay 30K for my dream mini when it finally hits the market....that's MSRP, laugh since some "S" here are already selling for that at 8K over list, laugh!

Old 07-15-2002, 05:05 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Nolan:
As a matter of fact, I DID read your entire previous post. Yes I saw the "cute" comment. What I responded to was the majority of emotional content in your post, which was of a negative nature. So by you doing that, you almost have to be ready for an equal counter attack, yes, no?
I guess when it comes to certain possessions, some people are spur of the moment impulse buyers. I'd nevere buy I car without knowing you it can or cannot do. That way, I won't be let down. Or in a similar situation as you.
No the MINI's are power monsters, but what can you expect from something less than 2liters of displacement, and only 50hp over the base model Cooper? From your first post on the topic, looks like you were more interested in something a few car classes up from the MINI, so I was confused as to what you were doing.
If the MINI you acquired was THAT bad outside of being 'cute' and such, me thinks that your expectations were set a little too high, and your need for speed a little too controling.
The MINI's are fun to drive, and offer up a good reasonable dose of power. Sorry to hear about you experience. But now you may be possibly doing the same with the Z you ordered. Who knows what that'll be like. Production power numbers haven't been finalized as far as I heard. There's no real way to tell what it's going to be like, other than what some mags and broucheres are stating. I know I wouldn't go into buying a car that blindly. No offense. Everyone is different. To each their own. But hoping that your next experince is better than the last. Cheers,

Old 07-15-2002, 06:53 PM
MiniMe762
2nd Gear
I can sympathize. I feel the same way from time to time. I love my Cooper, and can't see myself buying anything other than another MINI as my next car as well. And yes, I would love to trade up to an S. But, due to the wait, and since I would lose some money if I traded in my Cooper, I've decided to wait until 2005 when the next body style is supposedly coming out and get an S model at that point, as long as they still make the S of course. (I think MINI is here to stay this time!) That way, I'll have both new styles. Then all I'll need is a classic Mini to be complete!

Jason

Old 07-15-2002, 07:28 PM
Nolan
2nd Gear
sorry madman...only emotional response you actually focused on from me was "very cute".....it wasn't meant in a derogatory vein, it was just the #1 comment I got from almost everyone, especially young gals, also grandmas, women love it, if I was single which I'm not, I'd definitely keep one, especially either the yellow or torquoise blue...a real chick car, they love it.....my wife which I adore would not take too kindly to me giving a 20 something a ride in my mini, laugh! Certainly nothing wrong with cute...... parked next to a porshe 911 or 500SL, the chicks always came over to give me the once over first.....nothing wrong with that if you are single, laugh!....Cheers!

Old 07-15-2002, 09:15 PM
dgedalecia
1st Gear
Another recipe

Guy I know can put together a Kit Cobra with boss appointments
for 30K that will do 0-60 in 4.5, thereby blowing away just about
anything around, maybe even the Texas gumball machines. But it's
not a MINI. There are some who just don't like inter-league play.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:27 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
>>sorry madman...only emotional response you actually focused on from me was "very cute".....it wasn't meant in a derogatory vein, it was just the #1 comment I got from almost everyone, especially young gals, also grandmas, women love it, if I was single which I'm not, I'd definitely keep one, especially either the yellow or torquoise blue...a real chick car, they love it.....my wife which I adore would not take too kindly to me giving a 20 something a ride in my mini, laugh! Certainly nothing wrong with cute...... parked next to a porshe 911 or 500SL, the chicks always came over to give me the once over first.....nothing wrong with that if you are single, laugh!....Cheers!

Actually you misunderstood me. I was all right with the 'cute' line there. That's not why I got defensive. Like I said, I was repsonding to the negative emotional content,.......outside of the cuteness factor. I understand that people consider this car to be as such. Saying it was cute was actually one of the very few things you had good to say about it. Im ok with that. Re-read your 1st post and tell me that doesn't deserve some sort of objection. It's looked like you measured up the MINI to something outside its class. Competition to it would have been SVT Focus, Civic Si, GTi, etc. Unless you're familar with 4cyl cars around 2Liters of displacement, putting out less than 200hp, than you can't really place such a brash statement like you did. Right after you talked dirty about the MINI, you mentioned that you're in need of a greater performing toy like the Z with a better 0-60 time. That's a totally different classed car. So right there it says that you unfairly sized it up against something outside it's class. Not necessarily with the Z, but you said yourslef you were disapointed. If you pitted the Cooper'S' up against its rivals, I'm sure you're 1st post would be different. For the next time, before you bash something, pit it up against something its own size, and test the competition first.
Feeling like I'm beating a dead horse here.
But what's done is done. You finished you MINI ownership........for the time being I guess. So be happy with your new car. In the end, all I'm saying is that unless you're a magazine car test driver, or are familiar with the car you're interested in AS WELL AS its competition, than relax the harsh bold opinions. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions, and are free to exercise their rights to express them, IF they are knowledgeable and fair, and if you have done your homework. Otherwise they are just dribble vulnerable to objection. I would ask of you to take another chance. Go for a test drive in the Cooper'S', then take a few of its rivals out for a rip as well, and do a comparison accordingly. Then after at least what comes typed from your fingers will be justifiable, to some degree,.....possibly.
I'm coming from owning a Ford SVT Lighting which was a power house of ponies to the ground. Hills were a joke. Piece of cake. But I knew when I got behind the wheel of the MCS, there was going to be a different feel. If you're used to something more than what your test driving, than you're more than likely to be unreasonable with your overall experienced judgement. I think again your standards, thoughts, wants, and ideas on what you expected from this car were set too high. And that's obvious from your 1st post. Lower your expectations by taking out cars in its class. At least then your opinion will be based on actual experience within that whole general area of similar power, size, etc.
Over and out.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:30 AM
Nolan
2nd Gear
Competition to it would have been SVT Focus, Civic Si, GTi, etc.

Actually I would have been happy with performance matching the Acura even athough all the cars mentioned above outperform the "S" in performance but not handling, as well as my daughter's new Bug turbo which blew the doors off my "S", laugh, but doesn't handle very well...what's dissappointing is with it's handling it could handle much much more, almost like giving the Boxter a 4 banger and then trying to soup it up with turbos because it handles so well with it's mid engine. I understand BMW wanting to keep the price at 20K or under so as not to take sales from the 3 series and also compete price wise with the cars you mention above, but this is a different car than the 3 series which I have also owned before. Putting in the right engine which the mini could easily handle would certainly have raised the price closer to 30K than 20K which would have been fine with me, but maybe I'm just not the demographic BMW is looking for right now....I certainly would love to see them come out with a better engine and a few other upgrades as an upscale mini, call it the super "S" or whatever, but like the PT Cruiser and Bug before that won't happen to the marketing frenzy on the current cooper dies and they are discounted off list a few years down the road....then you will see the convertibles and hopefully a performance mini to rekindle sales like the PT Cruiser and Bug turbos now trying to rekindle sales again. The car business is always about money and marketing, especially stripping the market as you move from demographic to demographic selling a branded product, but my God you would have thought BMW could have made a deal to get a performance Japanese engine instead of all things a Chrysler....`as I said I'll take another look at the mini 3-5 years down the road after the 20K market has been totally stripped....enjoy your mini..cheers!

Old 08-01-2002, 05:00 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
JUST ENJOY YOUR CAR. Don't torture yourself.

Old 08-01-2002, 06:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cheers!
Clover

Quick Reply: R50/53 HELP Me decide...Keep Loaded Cooper or Get New CooperS???