R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 When and how did you get into tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When and how did you get into tuning?

Hi,

I'm 23 and I'm a newbie to Minis. Actually, to tell you the truth I'm a newbie to cars. Never really was big into cars because I was and still am into underground hip hop culture. I was more into Bboying and athletics. I thought nice cars were merely to show off bling and I really tried to prevent myself from being too materialistic. But then my girlfriend convinced me to buy my first car (2002 Mini Cooper) just 4 months ago and it's awesome! It has become my obsession and I just can't stop thinking about it! Cars are not just to show off after all, it can be fun too!!! I juggled with the idea of getting a new MCS JCW after I pay off my Mini but I don't think it would be the smartest financial move for me at this point. After looking at all the wicked modified Coopers on this site and realizing the practicality issue (Being in debt for another 3 years, gas prices sky rocketing, no intention to become a race car driver, etc.) I've learned to appreciate what I have. People still give me props and its just a stock Cooper so why should I complain?

My question to you experienced tuners... how can a guy like me get into modding my car's performance? I do read books and perform research on my vehicle but the lack of experience really makes me nervous about trying to tune my own every day driver.

What tools do I need to get started? What kind of mods I can try on my own and which ones I should leave to a professional?

My dream/plan...

Part 1: Next 2 to 3 Year...

ECU Upgrade
Cat Back Exhaust
Filter
Cold Air Intake
Plug Wires
Sway Bar
Performance Tires and Wheels
Brakes
Some cosmetic mods

Part 2... Maybe?!? Maybe not?!?

When I buy a Subaru and the Mini can be the recreation/project car...

Cooper S Transmission
Clutch and Fly Wheel
TURBO!!! (Should be enough R and D by the time I decide to do this to have a reliable product in the market)

Obviously I need a professional for part 2.

I know, I should just get an S if I'm going to do all that, especially if I have no technician experience, but hey I want to learn! Besides... the Bboy in me is telling me to be unique, and this way I can stay out of debt.

I appreciate your input! Thank you very much!

Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
There are many experienced tuners and the labor is not that costly for most "first stage" bolt-on performance modifications.

For under $2,000 including labor I have the following on my 2005 MCS:

1. Alta CAI w/ silicone hose
2. MTH ECU remap
3. "One ball" exhaust
4. 15% Alta pulley
5. 62 mm TB

My car was last dyno'd at 194 WHP and 176 ft-lb of torque

Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Norman
1st Gear
I started modding in 1978 (it was called hot rodding back then ) on my dad's 75 Torino. I would take things apart and put them back together. I had that thing getting 8 mpg. He told me that if I was going to touch his cars anymore I had to go to school for mechanics. My first car was a 75 Trans Am. Went to Vale Tech (Wyo Tech now) and learned a lot. Had that car for 9 years, rebuilt the engine twice, broke 9 transmissions and 2 rear ends. Ran 12.7 @ 116 on street tires and pump gas That is what I learned on.

What I would recommend is whatever car you are going to mod get a detailed service manual first, these are invaluable. A good set of mechanics tools is a must have, for your first list of mods you are wanting to do the only real specialty tool I can see that you might need is something for the brakes to reset the piston in the caliper. Everything else is pretty standard. Patience and time are the other things that are important to have. Trust me trying to rush things gets you into more trouble than it is worth. Read instructions and ask questions. I may not have specific Mini information but I will help in whatever way I can.

On a side note, I have to say that this is one message board of many I read. It is refreshing to see that when a question is asked it is answered. Most of the others you can count on the first reply is "use the search button"

Cudos to all the members here!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. There's lots of info here to get you started, but I'm sure you're aware of that already. If you really want to leave the Darkside behind however, you have to stop calling them "rims". They are "wheels".

Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when:
After I got a real job out of college, had a place of my own, bought a new car, and had extra disposable income. I was 25 when I started modding.

how:
I just read how to's and consulted with my online buddies to get started.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
My boyfriend was into his BMW, and modded it. Then I got the MINI and now I am interested in it, not too heavily until I am done with school though. It's a contagious disease

Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
dansmini
5th Gear
On the Cooper, the intake and exhaust are fairly easy to do yourself and would be a great starting point. A basic socket set wil get you through those two mods, along with some ramps to put the rear end up on for the exhaust install. IMO, you should consider some lowering springs. Those you will need help with installing, but will give your car better handling and IMO a much "phatter" look. I would (and in fact, did) do the springs at the same time as the sway bar. I recommend H-Sport brand springs and sway bar.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
If I had a Cooper, I would concentrate on improving handling instead of horsepower if I was going to be doing serious mods.

Improved brakes and suspension along with top notch ligthweight wheels and high performance tires and a sway bay will get your Cooper through the twisties faster than a bunch of money spent on increasing horsepower for the sake of horsepower.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Joe Donovan
2nd Gear
Ranzo. where are you? If you are in, or near a big city, there is probably a MINI club near you. Post a reply and see what happends , or add a city to your info.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:06 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I was at a party in high school and some guys in the back room of the house were very secretive. They lured me in and then I was hooked.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
If you're on a limited budget like me, just buy tools as you go. Eventually you will do a mod that will require the same set of tools, just learn from my experience. Don't buy cheap tools. I mean you don't have to break the bank either, but tools from Harbor Freight may look too attractive to pass up, but I recently bought a set of wrenches and the 13mm broke the first time I used it--the head sheared off. In that case, the tools become disposable, and not worth any money.

I also had a HF power tool go bad on me as well. I mean, if you have to buy cheap cause you can't afford anything else, realize that all you're doing is delaying the bigger expenditure for the real tool--as you will want the nice stuff as you get more experienced.

There are lots of articles online to learn how to start modding. I've done a fair amount.

I've got lots of articles here are various mods
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=43520

Richard

Originally Posted by Ranzo
[color=black][color=black]Hi,

[color=black][color=black]I'm 23 and I'm a newbie to Minis. Actually, to tell you the truth I'm a newbie to cars. Never really was big into cars because I was and still am into underground hip hop culture. I was more into Bboying and athletics. I thought nice cars were merely to show off bling and I really tried to prevent myself from being too materialistic.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
blitz64
2nd Gear
Visit the Drivetrain and suspension forum boards for more information on modding your mini. I found alot of useful information over there.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dansmini
IMO, you should consider some lowering springs. Those you will need help with installing, but will give your car better handling and IMO a much "phatter" look. I would (and in fact, did) do the springs at the same time as the sway bar. I recommend H-Sport brand springs and sway bar.
I have a cooper and considered H-sport upgrades, but it seems a lot of people suggest getting new contral arms and such to balance of the negative chamber. I decided not to upgrade because i was either going to spend a lot on getting control arms + alignment, or replacing tires because of uneven wear.

With all that said, for someone without money, my suggestion is to get used parts. I got a set of SS+ springs from a fellow NAM member (earl) for completely no charge, not even shipping. i then got the MCS sway bar for free, just pay shipping from outmotoring. With a great community like this where not only are how to's supplied but even the parts, it was easy for me to get into it. Also, it helped that i installed things myself to avoid pricey install costs. Just get a friend with tools and you're on your way.

I probably won't do too many upgrades until my warranty is over, I simply can't risk warranty issues.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Started when I was too young to remeber.

I took apart all the Matchbox cars my dad got me. Some even made it back together!

In highschool, I rebuilt a moped, and did the clutch in the family Toyota. Learned brake jobs and the like.

The best advice I can give anyone who wants to get mechanical. The biggest hurdle will be getting over your fear of braking something. This is what kept me from acting on many an occation.

So have fun, get dirty, and don't be afraid to try. The fact that you can't go to work the next day until everything works again is quite an incentive!

Another bit of advice, said much more sussinctly by TonyB. Have a goal and work to it, or your car will be a money pit.

Specifically for the Cooper, there are lots of internal bits that aren't as strong as in the S motor (sintered vs forges bits and the like). do your homework, and estimate your project budjet. You may find that your "dream" mod may be more than a new car! There are some mods that make sense because they can be done, without too much hassle, adding value commensurate with thier cost.

Then there's the money pits, like restoring a totalled Gremlin and spending 10k on the paint. You still have a car you may love but it's still only worth $600!

So, welcome to the club, watch the credit card balence, and have fun!

Matt

Old 08-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
WOW! I didn't expect to get that many response in one day! Thanks for everyones input! Great to know I have such a supportive community behind me! :smile:

Larry: Under $2,000 for all that? Wow you must know the mechanic very well! I don't know any mechanics so I think I will have to do it myself or pay commercial labor prices. Besides I want to learn more about my car too.

Norman: The service manual is actually the first tool I want to buy! You seem to have a lot of depth and experience. But I'm glad to hear that I don't have to be a mechanical engineer to do some of the mods. I can save a lot of money for other mods! Thanks for the advice!

Squirlz:

kenchan and Kellzir: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that started late! I thought most tuners started out like Norman!

dansmini: I was looking at the H-Sport Competition Sway Bar Set. It looks pretty good. The lowering springs won't be very practical for me because I live in Canada. Having a lowered car can be a real pain when winter comes around. I was thinking of just getting the Sway Bar Set and the Redstuff Brake pads. I already have the S suspension, that would be fine right? Excuse my lack of knowledge.

YuccaPatrol: I think the Mini's handling is already outstanding! I would enjoy my Mini more if it had a little more *****. Maybe 140? I can keep up with my friend's RSX Type S a little easier in the mountains and it won't seem like I have to bag it as hard. What do you think of just adding a sway bar set and some new brake pads? I already do have the S suspension. I'm going to buy my friends Momo wheels for 200 bucks! Here's a newb question for you... these wheels are 15" and super light. What's the difference if I got 16 or 17" instead?

Joe Donovan: I live in Calgary!

OctaneGuy: Wow! Your Mini inspires me!!! I think I'm going to put your Mini on my desk top! Thanks for providing such great information! I appreciate your help! :smile:

mataku: That does sound better financially. Thanks for the advice and I'm glad to here this community of Minis is so tight! I am going to buy some used Momo wheels from my friend for $200!

Dr. Obnxs: It sounds like you have a lot of depth as well like Norman! Goal and budget, never thought of that, makes a lot of sense! I think I will do that! I definately don't want a money pit everyday driver. Part one of my list is probably good enough already... part two does sound like a money pit... depending on where my career is at maybe I can afford it, of course it won't be my everyday driver by that time... I want a sooby! You never know! We'll see how things go! thanks for the advice dude!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ranzo

dansmini: I was looking at the H-Sport Competition Sway Bar Set. It looks pretty good. The lowering springs won't be very practical for me because I live in Canada. Having a lowered car can be a real pain when winter comes around. I was thinking of just getting the Sway Bar Set and the Redstuff Brake pads. I already have the S suspension, that would be fine right? Excuse my lack of knowledge.

I would just get the rear sway bar. You shouldn't need the front unless you are going racing! I don't blame you for not wanting to lower the car given where you live. It really is a noticeable drop! If the first mod you do is the rear sway bar, that would be a good place to start.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
>kenchan and Kellzir: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that started late! I thought most tuners started out like Norman!

ranzo- some lucky kids have dads and uncles that are car enthusiats
so they are almost 2nd nature with tools and cars by the time they're

My dad on the other hand was and continues to be a golfer (we call him
The Golfer) so he could careless about cars. Not that im blaming him for
anything. Just the way it was for me.

plus, I wanted to get out there on my own. sure you got kids with
$40K+ cars, but they're still living at their parent's place. A true
enthusiast will have his own place to play with his own cars with his
own money. well, that's just my philosophy about this hobby.
Ive been lucky not to have any health related illnesses that could
hinder my disposable income and time, so I am very greatful to my
parents (genes) for that.

ps: my 10.5month old has yet to get any kind of illness . he hasn't
even gotten a sniffle yet. He is a very lucky kid already, and as a parent,
i am also very lucky.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
kenchan: My dad is a golfer too! he could care less about his car. If his car got stolen, he would be choked about his golf clubs more then the car!

Being independent is definately a priority to me. That's why I decide not to switch to the S, I don't want anymore "bad debt" after I pay off my Cooper. What's the point of having a 40 K ride if I can't even pay for the gas to drive it?

Thanks for letting me in on the "enthusiast philosophy" and congrats to your new lil bundle! :smile:

Old 08-18-2005, 01:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
When I was 47. Now that I'm 14, I'm a Pro:smile: