R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 buy now or wait for 07?

Old 08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
blitz64
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy now or wait for 07?

I'm looking into buying a MCS right now but afraid that it might be outdated in a year when 2007 comes out. If I wait for the 07 model, then it won't be out of date for another 4-5 years. What do you guys think? Should I get one now? Or drive my old toyota for another year and get the 2007 which probably has another 10-15 more horsepower?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Hyper!!!Blue!!!
3rd Gear
I'd buy now personally. Who knows how that BMW/Peugot turbo engine is gonna perform? I'd say it _should_ be reliable, but still, who knows as the engine isn't in any other vehicle (yet). And if you buy now, I'm sure it will be cheaper than the inevitable price hikes of the new model. And many haven't been exactly thrilled with the spyshots of the new interiors.

If you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll never get anything .

Old 08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say either buy now or wait until 2008. When new models come out, it takes a year or so for the production line to find and begin to cure some of the initial bugs in a new model.

Personally, I am waiting until 2007 at which point I will either buy a 2008 or a used 2006 if I hate the new body style and engine options.

Until then, my 2003 MCS should continue to serve me well. . . .

Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM
lotsie
Banned
I'm thinking 07 myself, but I'm going to wait well into the first year. See how many and what issues come up.

I know the 07 will be a new model, but at least the factory won't be new also.

The bonnet changes are abit of a concern for me, but not anything that would stop me from getting one.

I do like some of the interior pics I have seen.

Yucca, great idea, getting an 06 after the 07s come out, and don't stand the test, may be a good way to go.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Ramjet
1st Gear
I maybe in the market for another one after the first of the year. I'll opt for a 06, scared they may screw up the body style.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:20 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blitz64
I'm looking into buying a MCS right now but afraid that it might be outdated in a year when 2007 comes out. If I wait for the 07 model, then it won't be out of date for another 4-5 years. What do you guys think? Should I get one now? Or drive my old toyota for another year and get the 2007 which probably has another 10-15 more horsepower?
Tough question. You have to ask yourself what you value most. Traditionally, auto manufacturers improve and refine a model throughout a run, correcting problems and adding features & options. For this reason, the last year model is often the best of the breed so to speak. But to keep the sales high, they bring out a new model. It's usually larger and more powerful. And it usually has "something" to entice the existing customers to trade. However, with the new model comes new problems and the refinement begins all over again.

When a model is as successful as the current MINI, the manufacturer's challenge is especially difficult. Too much change is risky. Not enough change means the new model sales bump is short-lived. Despite years of successful evolution, BMW has gone through real challenges over the past several model changes, especially in the styling department. The new models attracted new customers but left existing customers cold. However, the new 3-series seems to be a better offering so there may be reason for optimism. [I'm so engrossed in my '05 that I have not bothered to learn a thing about the '07 ]

There are many factors to consider. IMO the most important is the product itself. As others have stated, you can take a wait and see approach if new model problems concern you. Or you can take a leap of faith based on objective performance data, specs, styling etc. Other important factors are: availablity of aftermarket products and service, loss of value vs. higher sticker, and the cache of having the latest model. Heck, there are even people out there who consider what other people will think about them when they're making buying decisions

As I said, it's a very tough question. And ultimately one you'll have to answer for yourself. The one peice of advice I'll give you is a guideline I use in decision making: I would rather regret doing <opportunity> than regret not doing <opportunity>. LIfe is about living. Don't spend too much time on the fence.

Oh, and enjoy the process

Old 08-12-2005, 05:26 AM
C4
Banned
Buy now.

The '05 and '06 MINIs are the best ones EVER!

Old 08-12-2005, 05:28 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Buy now.

You do get to the point, don't you C4.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:40 AM
C4
Banned
You bet I do.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it from a person that has his first MC on order, an '06, you CAN'T wait. I am having a hard time waiting only two months.

Regarding first year vehicles, the last 6 vehicles I have owned were first year vehicles. Without a doubt, there were no problems on any of these. I don't know if that will hold true for model changes, of an existing vehicle.

The advantage of the '06 MCS is that it will be the last of the superchargers. Turbo can cause an issue due to the heat buildup in the turbo. That is the only issue I might be concerned with on the '07's.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
I would buy now if there are no other factors in your way (like your finances). As previously mentioned, there should always be a little cautioned with new models; yes it's great to be the early adopter and the first one on the block with something, but that comes at the price of potentially getting hit with the new model teething pains. The current generation is proven, and later models are quite reliable. Then there's supercharger vs. turbocharger and the religious fanatacism that this argument brings out. Broken recond, I'll leave that for the other threads...

Moreover, and this is completely dependant on yourself and how you will treat your car, it will take some time for the modders out there to design/develop modifications for the 07+ models. There is already quite a good selection of aftermarket upgrades for the existing design. Even JCW could take some time after the 07 introduction to put something out. All told, I'd go for an 06 (if I didn't just get my 05 last month! ).

Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 AM
vm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Buy now.

The '05 is as good as the '06? that's great to know because I have an eye in a Purple Haze MCSC, and all we know this is a hard color to find in the used market.

You should check the forum 2006 vs. 2007

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=46509

Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd wait and check out the 07's before I made my decision.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Norman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SMehder
The advantage of the '06 MCS is that it will be the last of the superchargers. Turbo can cause an issue due to the heat buildup in the turbo. That is the only issue I might be concerned with on the '07's.
I have had my 03 GTI 1.8t for 48k miles now and have had no issues with the turbo as far as failures go. I was concerned about the turbos wearing and needing replaced but that is based on my experience with the old Pontiac turbo trans ams and chrysler 2.2 turbos. 100k was good mileage out of those. After I thought about it for a while today's turbos are designed much better and seem to wear longer. I drive mostly hiway and with the gearing the turbo is working (a little) when cruising at 65 (about 2700 rpm's). Then I thought about my dad's truck, 670k on the stock turbo and that gave me a little better feeling about mine.

As for blitz's question, I am ordering a new 06 just because of the model change. I have had new cars on the first model year and have had minor problems with them. One had a brake system problem, it wore out the inside front pad on the right and they replcaed the entire front braking system...hoses and all. There were other problems with that one also but that as the most major problem. Basically it comes down to luck, some have it and I don't.
I would recommend taking something out for a test drive with a turbo and seeing if you can live with the lag. The thing that I do not like at all about my VW is the turbo lag especially in the snow with the traction control on. The new VW supposedly greatly reduced the lag by going to direct port injection on the 2.0t but I haven't seen any except on the A3 Audi's. Not knowing what the Peugot's design will be will make it tough to find something over on this side of the pond to test drive that would be similar...perhaps a Subaru?
This is just a personal observation and opinion, many people like the turbo and there is nothing wrong with that. After having one I am going back to n/a. It is slower but I prefer how they drive better.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
I've seen this happen time after time when a new model cycle happens.

Forget about 2007 models. First year of the cycle and you will be the guinea pig model to get all the bugs out. Go for a 2008

Why not buy 2006? Because you can bet your last dollar that the 2007 models will be "bigger, badder, faster, cooler" ... or whatever and you will regret not having the patience. Technology marches on. ...

Old 08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
trouphaz
2nd Gear
here's the big problem... what if they make changes to the '07 that you do not like? while you may get a little bump in horsepower, don't forget that the supercharger doesn't have the lag that a turbo will have (i went from a WRX to a cooper S and there is a big difference in responsiveness).

cars are like computers. the next year will always bring updates and technology changes (though not as fast for cars as for computers). all you can do is buy the car when you are ready. don't think that your car is outdated because there is a newer version out. so, if you like the current model, then i'd say buy it. if you want to wait, then you are best served if you wait 2 years like everyone is saying because there are such major changes that you can pretty much guarantee that there will be issues.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I waited to get the 06 MCSC just for that very reason. I wanted the first year cabriolet production problems ironed out. Not that every problem will be taken care of but a clear majority of them will. Still scheduled for production with no scheduled date. -sigh-

Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
1lesssuv
2nd Gear
Well I bought my first new car ever (after 36 years of life) in 2002 and it was a first year, new model Mini Cooper S. You won't get any worries from me about first model issues. I think I'll keep it forever. If "technology marches on" hits a chord with you I'd wait for 07. Frankly if I was into technology I would've bought something else (WRX?) but the Mini is a combination of many things that I would be terribly afraid would be screwed up by the corporate machine that designed the 07. I'd buy now and start racking up the frequent smiles per mile. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:44 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy now. If you love MINIs why deny yourself? 2006 will be a very good production year....I know these things.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I'm looking into buying a MCS right now but afraid that it might be outdated in a year when 2007 comes out. If I wait for the 07 model, then it won't be out of date for another 4-5 years.
What's the big deal with being "out of date"? You're still going to be driving the most fun car on the planet.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:29 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Buy a 2006. Just look at the prices and demand of the classic Mini's. You're buying a car that's never going to go out of style. Don't deny yourself, give in to your desires. Go order one tomorrow.......

Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
IMHO the current MCS is a gem of a little race car, and the '06 MCS with LSD is the cream of the crop.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jds
Buy now. If you love MINIs why deny yourself? 2006 will be a very good production year....I know these things.
I do, too, and I agree! Do not delay your gratification! Get a MINI and start motoring with us! You can always sell your 2006 and get a 2007, if you want!

I bought my first MINI in 2002 in the first wave of new MINI mania! It has been one of the most wonderful purchases I've ever made. Yes, I traded her in for my beloved 2003 MCS, but.....I found this community of incredible friends!

The sharing of MINI technical info and all the processes one goes through when ordering and waiting (some are lucky and find their MINIs on lots), the great fun of the community joking and debating in our Off Topic forums....it's all been fantastic!

Like I told Peep in a different thread, take the MINI plunge....SOON!

Clover

Old 08-13-2005, 12:26 AM
vm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jds
Please help me understand this one. 2006 is better than 2005?

Old 08-13-2005, 04:19 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
There is a nother option.....buy an 02 or 03......I love my 02.....save some money and sell it when you get your 06, 07 or whatever........ there will be a market..... Your in for less $ ....your resale will be high so it won't cost you in real $ and you get to find out about the Mini experience....maybe make some decisions about what you want on your 07 etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 buy now or wait for 07?