R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Who else only parks like this?

Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who else only parks like this?

I always take two spots and the wife always tells me I'm gonna get keyed, but I just can't tolerate door dings!!!!

Door Ding Free,
Mike

Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, quickest way to get key'd from what I've been told. Good for the door dings though! I certainly would not be one to blame you for taking extreme measures.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
i hate dings

Although I share your feelings about dings...
I hate it when people park in two spots, unless it is at the very back of a parking lot where no one parks.

Which is where I park, and yes sometimes I'll take up two spaces.
I'll walk two blocks just so I don't have to park next to someone else.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I, too, fear being keyed if I ever dare to park that way! When I find an end-spot, as you show in the piccie, I park Wanda to the very extreme right edge, with her right-side wheels practically on the side-curb planter thingie. Better a little ding than a horrific key-job!

Clover

Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Wenzor
4th Gear
thats just rude! i hate people who park like that! what you could do is park next to planters and get as close as u can to that side. comeon! we drive subcompact cars. lets be more efficient with the space we take up!

Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
hyobum
5th Gear
Getting keyed is like getting a toothpick jammed under your toenail..

But, taking up two compact parking spots?? HAHA priceless...

Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
That's an SUV / H2 kinda thing to do and should be beneath sophisticated MINI drivers!!

Why not park sideways!! (90o)

That would get some smiles... even though you'll get keyed sooner or later.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
camelpilot
Banned
I always take two spots and the wife always tells me I'm gonna get keyed, but I just can't tolerate door dings!!!!

Door Ding Free,
Mike
You should listen to your wife.

Every single person I know who parked (stress parked) like that has got keyed.

A few rules:
1. Always park on the end, on the right side of a car (away from drivers door). Preferably near a pole or garden. I see you follow this rule.
2. Never park in a compact spot. (You not doing too well here) Reminds me of a time I went to a big parking structure in hollywood where the ?? were directing vehicles to the parking spots. This one ?? points me to a compact spot, and I ignore him and try to drive past, but he intercepts me, frantically pointing at the compact spot, and I says to him, to him I says, " I dont park in compact spots." And he says to me in his ?? accent "But theeees izzz a compact". . No I didnt park there.

Edited: Sorry..I didnt know "Amigo" is a derogatory term. I address Mexicans as such, and they address it to me back. /shrug. So it doesnt mean "friend" in Mexican??

Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
If another MINI parked next to you I think you would still get a door ding The MINI's doors swing out almost completly perpendicular to the car.

I do find it hilarious that a compact car like the MINI requires 2 compact spaces in your case.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope, would never do it, wouldnt be prudent.

I try to park at the end of the row and at the farthest side of the space (would be closest to the curb in your picture). But taking up two spaces, especially in the area closest to the destination/building and/or in a lot prone to being full or near full is an open invitation to have something nasty happen to you car. Guaranteed.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You may or may not get keyed but you most definitely are pissing some people off. Its never good to have enemies.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
I really hope you're just kidding. Taking two spaces is just wrong, unless you are far away and even then unnecessary.

I hate the ideas of dings but I can't bring myself to be inconsiderate.

Paul

Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look at those azzholes and HOPE they get keyed! Are you under the impression you have a Ferarri or something? Get real.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
You have a very wise bride and I wouldn't want to be around for the "I told ya so's!!"

Parking like that just opens up all sorts of retaliations, but good luck with it!

Old 07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Aulden
2nd Gear
Uh..yeah, that is just plain ignorant to park like that. I mean if you were way in the back of the lot or....well...there is no or, back of the lot or park the dang thing correctly. As others have stated you can take precautions when parking to minimize your car getting dinged. That kind of parking is bait for hate.

And I am one of those who hopes you get keyed for parking like that.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
BartMack
6th Gear
I've found shopping carts to be way more deadly than door dings....

I see (mostly) women in big SUVs give their shopping cart a little shove to the side after they've unloaded it... almost NEVER do I see someone return a cart!! Then the wind blows them or other people push them around to clear a space (sometimes pushing them with their cars!)

I've had shopping cart dings on 3 out of 5 of my last vehicles.. the latest on the rear bumper of my (current) 2002 Thunderbird convertible. I was so mad!

Grrr. So I usually park somewhere in the north 40 and push carts the whole way back

(BTW Mike, I think you lost consensus on this one dude! )

Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wenzor
thats just rude! i hate people who park like that! what you could do is park next to planters and get as close as u can to that side. comeon! we drive subcompact cars. lets be more efficient with the space we take up!
I agree.

I hate to tell a fellow Miniac that they're wrong, but I think it's wrong to take 2 spaces, especially when a small car like ours can easily hide at the far side of an end-of-the-row parking spot.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:03 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Keyed was just the beginning....

going in a few years ago saw a really really nice Mustang parked like this...added a diaganol aspect to ensure no one was close. wasn't up front but was taking up two spaces in a fairly large lot at the zoo on a nice day

Heading out a couple of hours later, I felt a little sick:

keyed - that's an understatement....total repaint would be needed

all 4 tires flat

antenna snapped

dents in the door from kicking

couple pieces of glass smashed.

I think someone was a bit offended ...... they'd opened a serious can of whoop _ _ _ on that vehicle. Now, this was Miami and well - 'the rules are different here' as their ads used to say.

I love end spaces, hug the inside when I can and often park farther out to improve chance no one will be beside

but I never NEVER intentionally stradle a line or park on a bias - remembering that poor poor car and how he must have felt.

oh yea - the alarm was going off too......

Old 07-19-2005, 10:04 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Some of you guys are being too harsh on ZenAudio.

Zen, for your sake, (screw the people who wanted to park in that 2nd spot) I would listen to the mrs., and not park like that. I'd take a doording over a keyed any day. (I am door dingless btw, so take my advice from up top.)

Old 07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
All you one-spotters, one question and be honest - how many door dings? I've ALWAYS parked this way in the MINI and ALWAYS in my 2000 F150. Running score: 0 Door Dings, 0 Keyings.

That said, I obviously don't take up close spots - I'm always way out in the lot or even far far away from the lot. I also NEVER parallel park where suckas can nudge my bumpers. I find a spot only a MINI will fit or get one that only allows a car behind.

You one-spotters - apparently you've never seen those rude people getting out of there cars using yours as a door stop. No single spot is safe from an SUV soccer mom on her 3rd Frappacino.

Keying and worse is vandalism which I would then fix under insurance.

K - if I had a Ferrari, I'd have the butler take it down to the body shop, but come on man, we are talking a virgin MINI !!!

Don't Tread (or Door Ding) On Me!

Mike

Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, sorry, but a F150 or a Mini is not worthy of such absurd **** compulsive rude pretentious care. 0 dings. I never park like an ***.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Nope, very rude.

13 months with my car and no dings... I ALWAYS park on the end or very far out... I don't mind walking.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aulden
And I am one of those who hopes you get keyed for parking like that.
Uh, thanks dude and hope you get a door full of dings.

Mike

Old 07-19-2005, 10:19 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
All you one-spotters, one question and be honest - how many door dings? I've ALWAYS parked this way in the MINI and ALWAYS in my 2000 F150. Running score: 0 Door Dings, 0 Keyings.
Your deal - your car. I would sure check my driver's seat since you're driving a drop-top. Wouldn't be surprised to find something nasty and/or permanent in it the next time you do this.

Possible outcomes:
Someone tries to squeeze in to the 1/2 space availlable:

A much larger SUV-ish truck desides s/he deserve two spaces... and you are in them:

Attached Thumbnails Who else only parks like this?-1parkw4o.jpg   Who else only parks like this?-truckparking.jpg  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Wenzor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Yeah, sorry, but a F150 or a Mini is not worthy of such absurd **** compulsive rude pretentious care. 0 dings. I never park like an ***.
serious...no door dings here either, i dont wish door dings on my worst enemies...but...well....good luck with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 Who else only parks like this?