R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Who else only parks like this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe you're parking in a Compact slot. No Subcompact slots available?

I don't care if you are a fellow Motoring enthusiast; If I pulled into the same lot and you'd parked this way and there were no other free spots.... I"d be pouring a Coke or coffee into your cabrio. Inconvenience begets inconvenience.

But I wouldn't key someone.

Originally Posted by ZenAudio
I always take two spots and the wife always tells me I'm gonna get keyed, but I just can't tolerate door dings!!!!

Door Ding Free,
Mike

Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
MINIWV
1st Gear
If there is no choice but to park near someone else, I try to park beside a nicer vehicle that just gives off the vibe of "my owner cares." I figure that they aren't wanting dings in their doors either so will be more likely to respect my car as well. The theory may be completely wrong, but it makes me feel better at that moment.

Natually, if I see a MINI, I will try to park near it.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is the best policy. It has served me pretty well so far. This might be plain good luck, but in 57,000 miles and who-knows-how-many parking spaces, I've had only one "door ding" so far, which was only a small paint chip with no dent. And even that one might not have been a door.

Originally Posted by MINIWV
If there is no choice but to park near someone else, I try to park beside a nicer vehicle that just gives off the vibe of "my owner cares." I figure that they aren't wanting dings in their doors either so will be more likely to respect my car as well. The theory may be completely wrong, but it makes me feel better at that moment.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear

I have to agree with this one.I will always park next to someone that looks like they take good care of their car.
But that doesn't mean that when they leave the next guy won't be driving a beater with rust and missing parts that parks right on top of me.
I parked in a completely empty bank parking lot early one morning and when I came out there was an Alpha Hotel getting out of his pickup and
he was the only other car in the parking lot but was parked so close that I had to climb in the passenger side of my car to get in.

That day I was wishing I still had my old Jeep so that I could drag the front bumper along his car as I backed out, but I guess that
would have put me down at his sublevel.

I always park next to other Minis if there is space... As matter of fact I think we should all park next to each others Mini, except for the Mini in this thread that parks using two spaces.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Here are my parking rules. Only one door ding after 60k miles and that was from my wife. Maybe I should add #8. Don't park near your wife

MINI parking rules

1. Park at the far, deserted end of the parking lot if possible. Extra walking is a bonus for your health.

2. Always park on the uphill side of a slanted PL. I saw a lady get out of her car at the post office without setting her brake. Her car rolled across the lot and smacked another car.

3. NEVER park next to a car with a car seat in it.

4. If you have to park next to another car, park next to a 4 door sedan. The doors are smaller.

5. Park next to curbs or parking fingers(?) if available.

6. Stay away from grocery carts, and always park uphill from them.

7. Park next to brand spanking new cars if possible. They share the same concerns as you.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by asodestrom
7. Park next to brand spanking new cars if possible. They share the same concerns as you.
A potential problem is that they might not. Plenty of MINI owners and new car owners don't really care about their cars or anyone else's. If I see a MINI that has dings, any other indication that the car is not cared for, or a car seat, I'll avoid it as if it was an SUV or minivan.