R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Who else only parks like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
IMHO taking up two spots qualifies one as a knuckle-dragger or lower level human.
It is ignorant, but it doesn't justify damaging the car. THAT'S base behavior.

The last time I did that, (years ago) I was in a remote part of the lot and there wasn't a car around for a hundred feet. I wasn't stealing a spot so the damage was done just for the fun of hurting someone. Some people are just part of another level of society.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Odas Koger
1st Gear
Wow, what an amazing number and variety of responses. Seems that some folks feel very strongly . . . . I personally like to stay away from trouble and I think I would be inviting it if I parked in two desireable spaces. (I'm one of the "I can't believe that you parked all the way out there" kind of folks.) I am also willing to park next door, down the street, etc. On the notion of "keying," I believe that keying someone's car is LOW. Deserves a fine equal to the cost of the repair, plus. No excuse for such an act. Period. Okay to leave a note on the windshield, though . . . .

Old 08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJA
It is ignorant, but it doesn't justify damaging the car. THAT'S base behavior.
Guess you've never been looking for a parking space at Xmas in the pooring rain, only to find some troll has taken two spaces. I wouldn't key a car, but the air in the tires....? Might make the owner get as soaked as myself got walking half a mile from car to mall.

I wouldn't to that of course, but I have no sympathy for anyone who takes two spaces.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Bullydog
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
I always take two spots and the wife always tells me I'm gonna get keyed, but I just can't tolerate door dings!!!!

Door Ding Free,
Mike
I drive as far away where no one else parks and then when I come back to the car later some a-hole parks right next to me even though there are a million other empty spaces to choose from. It boggles the mind.

When I first got the car I considered pulling my wifes SUV next to my car and dinging my MINI myself so I could just get past this obsession. I figured if someone is going to do it, it might as well be me.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullydog

When I first got the car I considered pulling my wifes SUV next to my car and dinging my MINI myself so I could just get past this obsession. I figured if someone is going to do it, it might as well be me.
Hehehe... that's one way to get over it, true.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Guess you've never been looking for a parking space at Xmas in the pooring rain, only to find some troll has taken two spaces. I wouldn't key a car, but the air in the tires....? Might make the owner get as soaked as myself got walking half a mile from car to mall.

I wouldn't to that of course, but I have to sympathy for anyone who takes two spaces.
Scary......

I'm not condoning this type of parking. But it doesn't justify damaging the car! To say otherwise is frightening. Hopefully you never do anything that someone else decides they don't like. Would they be justified to teach you an expensive lesson?

I can't believe people would actually think it was OK to damage a car because someone takes an extra spot...WOW! this is a scary place.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Since it is quite obvious that there are so many people who will actually do that (most of them probably drive a POS), then you now know never to take two spaces.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
I wish the noobs would quit dragging this thread up.
It's better than them creating a new thread. Lighten up Francis and unsubscribe yourself.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
DJA
2nd Gear
Since it is quite obvious that there are so many people who will actually do that (most of them probably drive a POS), then you now know never to take two spaces.
Or do ANYTHING that someone else decides they don't like. Because we apparently can damage other people's property if WE think we should. Why limit this to taking two spots in a lot? How about parking too close? How about getting a spot I wanted? How about I don't like the color of your car? There are no rules then...

Old 08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DJA
Or do ANYTHING that someone else decides they don't like. Because we apparently can damage other people's property if WE think we should. Why limit this to taking two spots in a lot? How about parking too close? How about getting a spot I wanted? How about I don't like the color of your car? There are no rules then...
Sure there are... parking too close clearly warrants a "swirly" in the local men's room toilet... Ugly car colors can and will be blown up and/or have the nearest piano dropped onto the car, and taking my parking space... well... there's only one punishment for taking my preferred space...

(waits for a Monty Python fan to dredge up the punishment...)

Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
no one expects the spanish inquisition?

Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DJA

*TWEET* Flag on the play. Absurdity ruling violated!

I really don't care what your philisophical thoughts on this are.

HARD FACT: There are MANY people out there that will happily damage someone's car, that they feel is being an idiot. If your refuse to acknowledge a physical fact of motoring life, then you get what's coming. This is reality, and using absurd arguments will not make it magically go away.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
THE COMFY CHAIR!!!!

(see...now it's getting better -- Francis)

Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Cheetos
2nd Gear
*TWEET* Flag on the play. Absurdity ruling violated!

I really don't care what your philisophical thoughts on this are.

HARD FACT: There are MANY people out there that will happily damage someone's car, that they feel is being an idiot. If your refuse to acknowledge a physical fact of motoring life, then you get what's coming. This is reality, and using absurd arguments will not make it magically go away.
Actually what is absurd is to postulate that this 'physical fact of motoring life' is in any way explainable as acceptable or rational behavior.

I detest that folks feel the need to 'profile' their cars and take up extra spaces. That said, it is folly to think that it warrants destruction of property for any reason, by any sense of rationalization.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
The best part about being a MINI owner is that you can squeeze into tight spots... only if absolutely necessary of course... but its nice when you can parallel park in a spot that everyone else can't.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cheetos
Actually what is absurd is to postulate that this 'physical fact of motoring life' is in any way explainable as acceptable or rational behavior.

I detest that folks feel the need to 'profile' their cars and take up extra spaces. That said, it is folly to think that it warrants destruction of property for any reason, by any sense of rationalization.

And where, anywhere did I even remotely allude that such behavior was acceptable or rational?

It is a fact that it happens. Whether it is right or wrong is not the arguement. It happens. If you don't want to deal with that, that's on you.

Because it happens, and that is not an arguable point, I will not be taking up two spaces just so some Bubba can damage my car.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Red Fish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
The best part about being a MINI owner is that you can squeeze into tight spots... only if absolutely necessary of course... but its nice when you can parallel park in a spot that everyone else can't.
Exactly!

I live in center city Philadelphia, where the parking is always tight.

The neighborhood is all parked up, but I just got into a tiny little half spot just right for my MINI. Makes my heart sing.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Megan Racing
Vendor
That just brings un-necessary attention to yourself and also gives people the feeling that you feel you are better than everyone else. Wherever we park, we take risks, even in your own driveway someone can do your car harm. Even in your garage something can fall and hit your car... so there's no real "safe" parking place.

I saw a guy parked at an angle between two parking spots, so what I did was park 2" away from him paralell to his car. Needless to say he was pretty pissed and decided to wait for me to come back. So when I did.. we were face-to-face for a bit.. and I made him realize that if he didn't park like that... I wouldn't of parked next to him.

Parking like that just brings attention to your car... and it gives others the impression that your car deserves two spots because it is better than everyone else's car in the lot that only deserve one.

Even if you're in a big empty parking lot.. if it's big and empty, take your chances that no one will park next to you. Parking like that will only entice others to have negative feelings towards you.

If you're in a crowded parking lot... then yah, that's just wrong.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:59 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
I always take two spots and the wife always tells me I'm gonna get keyed, but I just can't tolerate door dings!!!!

Door Ding Free,
Mike

If i saw you doing that and you took the last 2 sports in the parking lot, I WOULD KEY THE S**T OUT OF YOUR CAR , some maybe its not worth it.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just try to avoid cars that look like trouble i.e Old cars, beat up cars, dirty cars. I park always as far away as I can. The walk is always a good work out!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When in a parking garage find the SUV using the "Compact Car Only" Space and park in the adjacent full size space

Other wise find a spot that is half curb

Old 11-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
When in a parking garage find the SUV using the "Compact Car Only" Space and park in the adjacent full size space

Other wise find a spot that is half curb
It makes me laugh when I see a full size suv in the compact spaces!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
sad parking

Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
I was just thinking...yeah if you take up two spaces then you are probably:
1) Get your car messed with
2) Get a Ticket.
Nothing good can really come from it. Your car is probably dent free because you have been getting luck or live in a great area. Which to me no area is safe.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
I've been parking my cars like that ever since i could drive.. and i've never been keeyed for it.

I've only been keyed in my VW golf and that was when i parked normal!!! go figure

Quick Reply: R50/53 Who else only parks like this?