R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Little book for a little car (MINIs at the Auto Show)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:13 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(I originally put some of this on Off-Topic, but it turned out to be all MINI, so I'm putting it here for you, too)

So I swing by the Philly Auto Show tonight. Now the Detroit Auto Show is going on too (the NAIAS), and the really cool concept cars are there, but the show was fun anyway. Of course, not having my own MINI yet (just a few more weeks!), I ended up at the MINI area. The setup was great...I was sitting in a DS/B MCS, and there was a HUGE mirror so you could see yourself in the car (and imagine you're motoring).

There were about seven MCs and MCSs spread out, and lots of flat screen TVs showing ads, etc. And in the back, almost hidden behind a column, was a vending machine. But this was no ordinary vending machine. This one contained "The Book of Motoring", a CD box-sized book about 50 pages long with all sorts of MINI motoring philosophy and nice pictures. And inside? An even smaller (mini) book a little bigger than a matchbook, which lists MC and MSC technical data and specs. Very cool.

Also there...a brand new 2003 brochure, with a different layout than the 2002 version I had. Mostly the same info, though...of course.

So, keep your eyes out for this vending machine, and the little book it holds. I haven't seen one at my dealership, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there eventually.

Oh, and the rest of the auto show was nice, too. My favorite was an Aston-Martin Vanquish. Noticeably absent? Pontiac Aztek. I was bummed. I think the Honda Element kicked it out of the building before I got there. Bully!

At least I got my MINI fix for the week. 2/7 build date...2/7 build date...I'll be fine...

Old 01-16-2003, 07:19 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I've seen this machine in both dealers I've visited...and at the New England Auto Show at the MINI display. Usually were partly filled with brochures, state stickers, and other assorted silly MINI paper (yeah, I've got a boatload of that stuff and think it's cool...but wish they'd spent a bit more on the car and less on the cutesy marketing).

My dealer recently moved theirs to the back area (from the showroom) and I think stocked it with snacks for the employees. Oh well, another MINI marketing idea that's just too 02

Old 01-16-2003, 07:27 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't tell me that you actually PAID for their advertising brochures! Is it just set up like a vending machine, or is the MINI marketing so brilliant that they actually have people anteing up cash for coveted pieces of paper? I think I remember seeing one of these in the Peabody MA dealership, but I didn't take a close look.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:30 AM
dbierman
2nd Gear
Actually, the marketing of the new MINI has been overwhelmingly lauded by both the advertising and automotive communities. Not since the introduction of the Saturn has a car been so successfully and artfully launched. Sure, one can quibble about "style over substance," but I think the marketing of the MINI has been simply outstanding.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:37 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
My dealer (Ferman MINI of Tampa Bay) has one of those vending machines full of those little books and other stuff, all free.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:38 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I wasn't using the word brilliant sarcastically. If people are paying money for MINI brochures, that is truly brilliant (for the marketing people). Who wouldn't want these people to launch their product? I agree that the marketing campaign has been very well done, although a bit cheesy with all of the let's do this, let's do that stuff.

One of my favorite reviews of the MINI started off with something along the lines of "Let's give a dealer a thousand dollars. Let's wait six months for the car. Let's worry about new model bugs. Let's drive hundreds of miles for service. Let's drive a car that's so much fun that we don't care about any of the above."

Old 01-16-2003, 07:40 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>My dealer (Ferman MINI of Tampa Bay) has one of those vending machines full of those little books and other stuff, all free.

OK then.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:48 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Yeah, no cash...I may be obsessed about the car, but haven't been tempted to buy any merchandise yet, and certainly wouldn't pay for marketing material. Just a clever little freebie...

I have to agree with jsun, too. I wouldn't mind more cash in the car, and less in the marketing. I imagine that as a "new" brand, MINI has to spend a mint to re-establish itself in the US...

Old 01-16-2003, 08:02 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The machines at MINI of Sterling with the MINI Book of Motoring are free. I saw them at my very first visit to them back over the summer.

At the Washington DC Auto Show, they also had the machines. They were still free, but to get the book you had to get a MINI token (for free) from a MINI rep and plunk it into the machine.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:32 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>Actually, the marketing of the new MINI has been overwhelmingly lauded by both the advertising and automotive communities. Not since the introduction of the Saturn has a car been so successfully and artfully launched. Sure, one can quibble about "style over substance," but I think the marketing of the MINI has been simply outstanding.

The marketing has been entertaining. The comparison with Saturn only underscores my point. I actually bought a Saturn during the peak of their "we're different" campaign. Yeah, well, they were certainly different, and the sales experience, showrooms, owner community, etc. were right in line with the hype. But when all was said and done with the "experience", the car itself was about as interesting as a roll of paper towels. Cheap, noisy, and slow. You were treated nice when you were at the dealer...but I was at the dealer all too often due to no-better-than average GM quality control.

The MINI experience thus far is MUCH better than this (don't get me wrong). But there is some basis for comparison.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:47 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
All of those items in the vending machine, and all that I wanted was a bag of chips....

Old 01-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Buttercup
Neutral
When I first decided to get a MINI, my SO accused me of only wanting the car b/c of the marketing (not that he doesn't want one too!)

As someone who works in marketing, I think the campaign is brilliant. My first thoughts about the little book were "This is so cool!" followed immediately by "Wonder how much the printing cost?"

The firm behind the campaign sent out posters that highlight the different tactics they used. The accompanying cover letter explained that they were charged with launching a new car brand competitive with VW with only a fraction of VW's budget so they had to think creatively.

(Of course, being the only MINI owner in the company, the poster found its way to my wall.)

Old 01-17-2003, 10:07 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I saw the book and its fine and amusing. But one question is still nagging me...several times this "magic ball" thing gets mentioned...you know, the black ball with the buttons? (not sure what they call it and I don't have the book here.) Is that a real thing? ...or something I missed in the '70s? '80s? I can see where the ad guys are going with it, but its not really a purely "MINI" thing is it? Any input would help 'cause I'm baffled and I know you smart people could help.

Old 01-17-2003, 10:17 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
The "Magic 8 Ball" is a round black liquid-filled plastic ball the size of a softball. You ask it questions, and it shows you answers through a little window on the bottom... Some people swear it's infallible. Does it work? You'd have to ask it...

Check out this link: Magic 8 Ball for info...I think you can try it online there too...

Old 01-17-2003, 12:20 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Scooper, once again something that I totally missed

Old 01-17-2003, 12:23 PM
8ball
6th Gear
... the 8ball is never wrong ...

Old 01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear

I was waiting to see when we'd hear from you!

Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Scooper~
(I originally put some of this on Off-Topic, but it turned out to be all MINI, so I'm putting it here for you, too)

So I swing by the Philly Auto Show tonight. Now the Detroit Auto Show is going on too (the NAIAS), and the really cool concept cars are there, but the show was fun anyway. Of course, not having my own MINI yet (just a few more weeks!), I ended up at the MINI area. The setup was great...I was sitting in a DS/B MCS, and there was a HUGE mirror so you could see yourself in the car (and imagine you're motoring).

There were about seven MCs and MCSs spread out, and lots of flat screen TVs showing ads, etc. And in the back, almost hidden behind a column, was a vending machine. But this was no ordinary vending machine. This one contained "The Book of Motoring", a CD box-sized book about 50 pages long with all sorts of MINI motoring philosophy and nice pictures. And inside? An even smaller (mini) book a little bigger than a matchbook, which lists MC and MSC technical data and specs. Very cool.

Also there...a brand new 2003 brochure, with a different layout than the 2002 version I had. Mostly the same info, though...of course.

So, keep your eyes out for this vending machine, and the little book it holds. I haven't seen one at my dealership, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there eventually.

Oh, and the rest of the auto show was nice, too. My favorite was an Aston-Martin Vanquish. Noticeably absent? Pontiac Aztek. I was bummed. I think the Honda Element kicked it out of the building before I got there. Bully!

At least I got my MINI fix for the week. 2/7 build date...2/7 build date...I'll be fine...

I suspect that all of us here had a similar experience when we first drove a MINI.

Thank you for articulating your your introduction to MINI and reminding us of our awakening months or years ago.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:34 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The Book of Motoring - I have tat and a bunch of items from the early years,

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172