R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI - "A GUY MAGNET" - all of you single girls out there, p

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 08:12 AM
gomini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While driving my MINI and getting all the attention, I made an interesting observation which I thought would be fun to share:
The car is a definite "GUY MAGNET". I am happily married and am not in the market of looking for a date, but if you are (a single GAL, that is) - the MINI is your best bet! EVERY guy I pass by looks at my car, if I am at a parking lot, they come (in large numbers) to talk to me, one guy (a good looking one, I must say) followed me from one store to another to ask me questions and to ask if he can sit in my car (!?). It is such a conversation piece - if I wanted to, I could've met more guys in one day driving around doing errands than in a month while on vacation somewhere. You know, it is like having a cute dog, but much much more effective.

It is not so much a "CHICK MAGNET", because most ladies do not know or do not care that much about cars to want to strike a conversation with strangers. Sorry, guys.

All you girls out there, what's your experience?
And guys, - your comments are welcome, of course.

(P.S. NO DIRTY OR TACKY COMMENTS, PLEASE, LET'S KEEP THE MINI TALK VULGARITY-FREE, OK?)

Old 07-08-2002, 12:33 PM
zogbogbean
1st Gear
Hey now!

I had a mustang GT before my MCS and there wasn't even a hit of a woman looking at it ever! Just guys and kids asking about the horse power.

With my MCS there are many many people INCLUDING women looking at the car. Guys - the MCS is your best bet when it comes to cars attracting attention from women!

My girl and I both have Mini's so we cancel each other out in this little game, but really folks - man or woman doesn't matter, you will get attention regardless!

Old 07-08-2002, 03:50 PM
russmeyergirl
1st Gear
You are so right! I have had so many guys talk to me about my car it is unnerving - actually I don't really like it because sometimes there are men standing around my car, and as I am a young, single girl, it can be scary.

++++ most of the men are gay!

Old 07-08-2002, 10:25 PM
gomini
1st Gear
Interesting. Gay guys, huh? Well, what do I know... I was just making an observation. Hey, this topic is just as good as : what color looks best: topic. Didn't hat get like million replys?
Fun to get feedback from others. I am afraid though that there will be a guy outrage going on, since they really want their MCS's to be hot cars, etc. And they are right!

Would be fun to get more of other gals thoughts on this though.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:38 PM
jeanna
2nd Gear
I agree, since the majority of guys like cars, many guys are curious about this little contraption, it is just so interesting to see driving next to you on the road, who wouldn't stop to ask?? Being a girl, I think that if I was on the prowel, the mini could help escalate a not so social social life... but since I don't have a mini yet , I really don't know how it feels. It certainly is a conversation piece to say the least, Have fun girls!

~Jeanna

Old 07-14-2002, 03:01 AM
rspit2
Neutral
Browsing through lots of threads on cars lately - in particular the Mini - yours is the first post I have come across from the woman's point of view in this area!

My wife and I are happily married - have been for 6 years. Neither of us is in need of a magnet (coming up on seven years soon though, so we'll see if either of us needs to scratch then, ha!). The car is definitely a "gal" magnet too. In fact it's a magnet that attracts all kinds of people - men and women alike. From truckers to old folks to kids, you name it, they ogle every time I go somewhere in my Mini S.

The comment I hear most often from women is "it's so cute". True, oh so true. Especially from a woman's perspective. It also handles better than most (if not all) sports cars in it's class, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg either! And, that's what attracts the men. Men will ask all kinds of technical questions.

I'll bet, more often than not, when a woman gives a man a chance to drive her Mini, he'll forget all about the woman, and fall in love with the way the Mini handles! He'll make small talk just to extend his test drive. The man will then promptly find the nearest place to buy one, and will begin contemplating performance modifications. The woman? what woman?

Same wager when a woman meets a man in a Mini. Except the woman never really sees the man in the Mini. For her, it's love at first sight of those cute "eyes" (Xenon headlights) and "wide shoulders" (bulldog stance), and "cute butt" (the boot, what else!). The woman will want to know where she can buy one. As soon as she finds out where, the man is history.

Any way you look at it, and for quite some time to come, the Mini will steal the show!

regards,
Rudy
p.s. My wife has a new Mini too!

Old 08-10-2002, 02:49 PM
ochichernie
1st Gear
I was driving along the highway and this guy in a Porsche came up and drove right alongside and LOOKED. Too bad I'll never know where he's from

Old 08-10-2002, 05:04 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
Guy magnet, girl magnet! If I were single, this would be the way to meet woman. I've never meet so many women in such a short amount of time as I have in this car since I picked it up. They come out of the stores and their cars to talk to me when I am in this car. Good thing my wife and I are secure in our marriage otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to drive the car anymore.

Old 08-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
You are so right! I have had so many guys talk to me about my car it is unnerving - actually I don't really like it because sometimes there are men standing around my car, and as I am a young, single girl, it can be scary.

++++ most of the men are gay!

Interesting you mention that. I read in I think it was Automobile Magazine where they called the MINI the first openly gay car. I never really thought of the MINI that way. I just thought it was a cool car that most any person, regardless of type, would like.

Old 08-11-2002, 08:23 AM
KPiglet
3rd Gear
I don't even have my MINI yet and just the fact that I'm getting one has been a guy magnet. I recently went on a first date and mentioned my MINI....he just about had a heart attack at the table!!...I didn't realize that he was a European car fanatic. I managed to gain about 700 cool points with this guy by just mentioning my MINI! I don't want to know what it will be like when I finally have it!!