R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Major factory screw-up!!!!(This could happen to you!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make no mistake..I love this car..wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. However, the other day something happened which really made me mad, and it could very easily happen to you.
I'm on the highway in the middle of the desert in central Mexico, driving back home from a road trip to Guanajuato. It's about 10:00 p.m., and pretty dark.
I'm cruising along when suddenly my instrument panel begins to flicker, so I pull off the road to a narrow shoulder and kill the engine to inspect the car. I open the fuse box, and not finding anything out of the ordinary, proceed to re-start the engine. Nothing. Dead. No electrical power at all, no lights, no power door locks, no emergency blinkers, nothing.
"Loose battery terminal" I automatically think to myself, having experienced that very problem with other cars several times before...So I decide to take a look at the battery.
I step out of the car and make my way back to the boot, while a speeding Mack truck narrowly misses me and my MINI. Realizing that my tiny, dark silver car is practically invisible to other drivers on a dark, desolate highway, I hurry to retrieve my emergency reflective triangle thingies from the boot so as to avoid an accident..
Oh wait..no electrical power!! How do I open the boot??!!
I rush to retrieve my owner's manual, surely there must be a way....
Ah, there it is! "How to open the boot in case of electrical failure:" "Lift rear seat bench and pull on emergency boot-release cable."
Ok, no problem, that's what i'll do, I say to myself as I yank my rear seat bench up and out of the way.
What the?...NOTHING!! Just a big empty space where the emergency release cable should be!
So there I am, in the middle of nowhere, stranded and in danger of being hit by another car and with NO WAY to access my emergency triangles, my tools, my first aid kit, my road flares, my emergency water supply or THE FREAKIN' BATTERY for that matter, the very thing which is causing the whole mess to begin with! To top it all off, the cold desert night is creeping in and I'm freezing my *** off 'cause my sweater's in the trunk and I CAN'T GET TO IT!
Long story short, after a few hours I manage to get a hold of MINI roadside assistance and they tow me back to the nearest dealer, about an hour away.
The next day, the service guy has to use jumper cables to get the boot open. Sure enough, the battery terminal was loose, and after a quick tighten, the car was up and running.
So here's the worst part:..There were six brand new, 2003 MINIs on the lot that day...I lifted each and every seat bench, and NOT ONE CAR had an emergency boot release cable, as specified in the owner's manual...NOT ONE!!!
I'll say it again: I love this car...haven't had a problem with it yet (besides this) Not even a boot latch or sunroof rattle...However, this apparently careless factory oversight put my safety and that of other drivers at risk, not to mention making a simple, easily fixable problem into a frightening, all-night ordeal.
My reccomendation to all you MINI owners out there: Go to your garage, lift your seat bench and check for that emergency cable before an actual emergency leaves you panicked and helpless..after all, electrical failures are pretty common.
Think about it this way: What if someone's heart medication or insulin was in the trunk, and they had no way of getting to it?...
Also, if any of you are also missing this release cable and know what the deal is with this, I'd love to hear from you. I talked to my dealer about it but he just gave me a puzzled look and shrugged his shoulders...
I'm not one to rant and rave, but this just really seems silly and unacceptable to me.If many other people are also missing their emergency release cables, I'm wondering if a recall might be in order..

Old 12-25-2002, 02:35 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, that really sucks. To think, that you only needed to get into the trunk to fix the problem, and avoid the need of a tow. But not only that, try to stay warm and alive (could it have been in a worse scenario). Everything needed to survive, and just inches away. That's nuts.
But after reading your post, I jumped out and searched myself for the cord. And no cigar. Will have to make a note of that the next time I'm at my dealership. I'd definitely inquire about that again to your dealer. If you're missing some sort of equipment on your car that could potentially save your life and/or any further hassles on the road, that's a no-no, and should be dealt with. I'd be demanding something be done.
Even though you're situation was rough, posting about it will help out the rest of us who haven't even thought of it, like me. Thanx for the heads up.
Cheers,

Old 12-25-2002, 02:39 AM
Momentum
2nd Gear
WOW I will do this and report back. What an awful experience. They will of course
install emerg release cable- Right?
Sorry you had to go through all that.
Momentum :???:

Old 12-25-2002, 02:41 AM
jceviche
2nd Gear
Calvin77, thank you for sharing the information and I'm glad to hear that nothing more serious happened to you and your MINI. I'm going to check that emergency boot release right now. Wish you and your family all the best, Merry Xmass.

Old 12-25-2002, 02:53 AM
Cooperman
3rd Gear
Hey Cal,
WHAT-A-STORY! The only reason (That's rational) that I buy new cars every couple of years is to avoid just such a scenario. That emergency cord thing we're definetly going to hear more about on MCO. Thanks for opening all of ours eyes to the situation. Have a Merry Christmas!
Jim

Old 12-25-2002, 04:24 AM
MiniMax15
2nd Gear
Gotta go, I am on the way to my garage, I do much of my driving during the dark hours!

Thanks,

Steve :???:

Old 12-25-2002, 05:48 AM
SMKKVK
4th Gear
Calvin77,

Glad things worked out, although you had to go through the aggravation. I bet you're still burning. MINIUSA owes you answer as the dealer's stupidified look in not acceptable for the boot release.

Question: The manual emergency boot release, isn't that federally mandated in the US on models >2001???

SMKKVK

Old 12-25-2002, 05:58 AM
motomohair
2nd Gear
i'm gonna go look at mine... brb...

Old 12-25-2002, 06:03 AM
JFleischer
2nd Gear
MCS do not have boot release under the seat. I have often thought of things like that happening. Going to check my battery cables today. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 12-25-2002, 06:05 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Happy Holidays! Calvin, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience...it always stinks to find out about something not being the way you thought it was just when you need it most. That said, it's come up on this board before -- and hearing about these sorts of things is one of the great things about MCO! -- that the US spec (and I guess Mexico?) cars DO NOT have the interior boot release cable. I think BMW left the * (for "country specific optional equipment) out of the owners manual next to the description of that feature. I wouldn't call it a "major factory screw-up" but it is something that should be addressed in future models.

But, if all you need to do is to access your boot, AND you have not locked your car (and are thus standing outside of it), then you can do this from the rear seat simply by removing the interior panel that covers the boot (the think that is suspended by strings from the rear hatch). Then, you can access the seatback releases and fold down the rear seatbacks. It's certainly not convenient, but in an emergency would afford access to the battery and anything you had stored in the boot (i.e., your coat). I for one, keep my rear panel off most of the time (stored in my garage) since it's largely useless, sometimes rattles, and I keep removing it all of the time anyway when I carry stuff with the seats down.

Anyhow, glad to know that your situation eventually got worked out, and maybe this discussion can prevent other people from unexpected chills on the side of the road

Old 12-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Paul830
2nd Gear
MERRY CHRISTMAS...

Sorry to hear of your "adventure"... Just glad you didn't get hurt. I just checked my 2003 MC. AND>>>>>> NO emergency release to be found... Guess the guy who was responsible for yours also did mine... or "didn't" as the case may be. I guess I'll be driving out so see my MINI/BMW dealer this week to inquire about it.
BTW... mine was a sept. '02 build date. Maybe the guy was on vacation that week... or just on a coffee break... LOL...

Glad you're ok... and Happy Holidays... PEACE, Paul

Old 12-25-2002, 08:37 AM
wkndracr
4th Gear
Wow, that's some story. My MCS is a late October build and I DO have the cable. I'm surprised so many cars do not have it. I have heard of a case where someone had the cable but it didn't have the plastic ring attached to the end.

Old 12-25-2002, 08:55 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
This scream Factory Recall all over it. If anything would have happened to you or your MINI on the road due to a federally mandated piece of equipment that should have been installed on the MINI and was not would give a lawyer a field day in court.
I hope someone from MINI USA reads this or you call MINI after the holidays and make them aware of this issue.

Old 12-25-2002, 09:21 AM
SMKKVK
4th Gear
>>Question: The manual emergency boot release, isn't that federally mandated in the US on models >2001???
-------
Found this on the net at the NHTS.gov website: http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/1932.html Appears the trunk release is not standard nor require. Will continue to research.
SMKKVK

Old 12-25-2002, 09:34 AM
SMKKVK
4th Gear
Further searching found:
----------
REGISTERED IMPORTER NEWSLETTER No. 20
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance
October 2001

FMVSS NO. 401, INTERIOR TRUNK RELEASE
This new standard requires passenger cars with a trunk compartment to have an automatic or manual release mechanism in the trunk compartment that unlatches the trunk lid. This standard became effective on September 1, 2001; however, certain vehicles are exempt from this requirement until September 1, 2002. See 66 FR 43113 dated August 17, 2001. Canada does not have a standard similar to this requirement. The statement of conformity has been updated to reflect this new standard.
-------
Do our MC/MCS comply with the above? Any MCO lawyers out there to interpet the above safety complinace from NHTSA?

Old 12-25-2002, 03:21 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear

>>But, if all you need to do is to access your boot, AND you have not locked your car (and are thus standing outside of it), then you can do this from the rear seat simply by removing the interior panel that covers the boot (the think that is suspended by strings from the rear hatch). Then, you can access the seatback releases and fold down the rear seatbacks

I actually did attempt to do this, but discovered that once the boot lid is closed, that rear interior panel cannot be removed. It appears that it can only be "unhinged" when the boot lid is open. In the event of a major emergency, I imagine I could break the panel and access the seatback releases, but that just seems ridiculously drastic compared to pulling on a cable that should be there in the first place. Thanks for the info, though!..

Old 12-25-2002, 03:44 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Woops, again. I'll check mine in the AM. Thanks for the heads up Calvin.

Old 12-25-2002, 04:41 PM
jsun
6th Gear
[clip]
>>FMVSS NO. 401, INTERIOR TRUNK RELEASE
>>This new standard requires passenger cars with a trunk compartment to have an automatic or manual release mechanism in the trunk compartment that unlatches the trunk lid. This standard became effective on September 1, 2001; however, certain vehicles are exempt from this requirement until September 1, 2002. See 66 FR 43113 dated August 17, 2001. Canada does not have a standard similar to this requirement. The statement of conformity has been updated to reflect this new standard.
[clip]

I think you'd be hard pressed to call the thing under the plastic divider a "trunk". The standard is designed to allow people trapped in the trunk to be able to get out. First off, no one would fit in the MINI's "trunk" and second off, unlatching the seats (which you could do if you were inside the "trunk&quot or pushing out the plastic cover would allow you to escape.

No disrepect to the inconvenience of getting stuck on the side of the road, but yeah, it's a bummer not to have the cable...but I don't think that it's that it's a big enough deal to call lawyers into the task. If you want to complain about something, how about the fact that you're not the first person to suffer the loose battery cable problem? THAT seems like a real engineering issue. The lack of a trunk release cable is probably a cost-savings decision that has now been corrected in later build cars.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:49 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
I can picture the scene perfectly, specially if you add that besides the danger of being ran over by a truck you have the added plus of being mugged!

I will specially check out the car for this when I get it. These things happen with all cars. When I got my father´s Accord I didn´t noticed the odometer was not working, so I got the first day´s miles for free!

It was just disconnected.

I´ve seen a notorious number of Minis stranded (mainly for the gearbox problem probably) and I´m sure BMW is still improving the little quirks, but for me... I´m keeping my civic for at least a year until Mini probes out to be 100% reliable

Old 12-26-2002, 06:55 AM
satchmo
2nd Gear
My MCS was built on 15 Oct and I do not have the cable. Wrote to MINI USA last night. Should get a response today. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 12-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Gus
1st Gear
>>My MCS was built on 15 Oct and I do not have the cable. Wrote to MINI USA last night. Should get a response today. I'll let you know what they say.

My October build MCS doesn't have it either. Anxious to hear what MINI USA advises. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2002, 07:18 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
>>
>>>>But, if all you need to do is to access your boot, AND you have not locked your car (and are thus standing outside of it), then you can do this from the rear seat simply by removing the interior panel that covers the boot (the think that is suspended by strings from the rear hatch). Then, you can access the seatback releases and fold down the rear seatbacks
>>
>> I actually did attempt to do this, but discovered that once the boot lid is closed, that rear interior panel cannot be removed. It appears that it can only be "unhinged" when the boot lid is open. In the event of a major emergency, I imagine I could break the panel and access the seatback releases, but that just seems ridiculously drastic compared to pulling on a cable that should be there in the first place. Thanks for the info, though!..

Calvin77, working in my garage one day I had a similar thing happen. I had unhooked my battery to due some work in the engine compartment and closed the boot. It got locked and realized I couldn't get it open. I then attempted to lift the cover behind the back seats to no avail. I was able to finally get my hand in between the seat and cover by pulling on the seat back and sliding the other hand in to reach the seat release. So you can do this in an emergency, just scrapes your hand up (I'm also very thin so small arms).

Over on MINI2.com they have a thread on this subject. They state certain build dates and earlier did not include this piece of equipment.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear

>>Calvin77, working in my garage one day I had a similar thing happen. I had unhooked my battery to due some work in the engine compartment and closed the boot. It got locked and realized I couldn't get it open. I then attempted to lift the cover behind the back seats to no avail. I was able to finally get my hand in between the seat and cover by pulling on the seat back and sliding the other hand in to reach the seat release. So you can do this in an emergency, just scrapes your hand up (I'm also very thin so small arms).

I tried this as well! The problem is I'm 6' and 190 pounds so try as I might, I could only get a small portion of my arm in between the panel and the seat backs!

Old 12-26-2002, 12:08 PM
saucerman
1st Gear
---------
>>FMVSS NO. 401, INTERIOR TRUNK RELEASE
>>This new standard requires passenger cars with a trunk compartment to have an automatic or manual release mechanism in the trunk compartment that unlatches the trunk lid. This standard became effective on September 1, 2001; however, certain vehicles are exempt from this requirement until September 1, 2002. See 66 FR 43113 dated August 17, 2001. Canada does not have a standard similar to this requirement. The statement of conformity has been updated to reflect this new standard.
>>-------
>>Do our MC/MCS comply with the above? Any MCO lawyers out there to interpet the above safety complinace from NHTSA?
>>

(ahem) Why the incessant rush to lawyers? Soooo American...the boot on a MINI isn't technically a trunk requiring an emergency release. A Trunk is a place where a human can accidently get trapped, hence the need for a release. Only Resus monkeys could be trapped in a MINI boot, and they are not (yet) Federally protected. That said, MiniUSA seems to be fitting new (2003) cars with the release and would probably be happy to retrofit older cars. I'll bet they would be more receptive to customer requests than to lawyer demands. Also, lawyers charge $300 + per hour; do you really want them making your service requests?

More lawyer-bashing:

"Son, when life gives you lemons.... call the attorneys."

"Send lawyers, guns & money - Dad, get me outta this!" --Warren Zevon

Old 12-26-2002, 12:27 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear

>>Over on MINI2.com they have a thread on this subject. They state certain build dates and earlier did not include this piece of equipment.

Minimotorin, can you post a link to that thread or list the title? Having problems with the search on this one.....

Thanks!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Major factory screw-up!!!!(This could happen to you!)