R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 minis and dogs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:40 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minis and dogs...

my mini is my daily driver and only car. i'm looking to get a dog (not sure what breed yet...), and i was curious as to who has dogs here and whether or not they fit / are happy riding around in your cooper. a strange question, maybe, but i don't want to adopt a larger dog only to find she won't fit / gets cramped in my car.
any thoughts?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:12 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Perhaps this thread will help you:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&highlight=dog

I can tell you that my adopted/rescue Pomeranian has no problem with the Mini, but seeing as how she is only 10lbs that is probably not that much help to you

Edit: Since you are looking a good place to find rescued dogs is petfinder.com, and there are scores of places for everybreed and mixed breeds if you poke around online. This website has some good info on the tendancies of breeds, http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm, plus there are lots of great books about it as well - it can really help you figure out what sort of characteristics would suit your lifestyle.

Anyway, hope that helps I can say that rescuing a dog from death/use in research or whatever situation they were left in is very fulfilling and you can end up with a great companion (I did).

Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 PM
RustyPaint
2nd Gear
Click and Clack felt they could carry dogs in the MINI when the test drove a cooper (not that they would have dogs in a car they test drove )

Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
I have a Husky and she loves going for rides form time to time. She jumps in and goes straight to the back. She sits up when we are not moving and pops her head out the window.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Check out www.carolinadogs.com

It's very interesting. I found one of these dogs and had him for a year before I found out that he was a Carolina Dog. He's wonderful with kids, likes to ride, medium sized, and best of all they have no known genetic defects that you normally find in the most domesticated dogs. The Carolina Dog is part of the Pariah morphitype of K-9's that are amoung the most primitive of all K-9's. They are believed to have travelled across the Bering Land Mass with nomatic people 8,000-11,000 years ago. Carolina Dogs still live in the wild. Mainly in undeveloped swampy land around the S. Carolina/GA border, but can be found in many remote places in the Southeast. There are even a couple of breeders that sell them. I found mine in a remote campground north of the Smokies in Cocke County Tennessee. Over a period of about a week I was able to gain his confidence with roast beef sandwiches from Arby's. 5 for $5.00 True story!!! I could go on and on about this dog. I've had German Shepards, Beagles, Border Collies, Field Spaniels, Dalmations, and Plott Hounds. This is the smartest, most entertaining, beautiful, and unusual dog I've ever been around. They are also know as American Dingo's, Native Americans Dog, The Dixie Dingo, and Southern Aboriginal Dog.

On the website check out the stories done by National Geographic and The Smithsonian.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:42 PM
lotsie
Banned
My Lab rides with me every day,she comes to work with me.The back seats are always folded down,and she has lots of room,but for the most part she curls up in the very back of the car and snores,which covers any rattles that happen

Old 01-07-2005, 10:59 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
YuccaPatrol's St. Bernard, Lucas, rides in the back of the MINI! Yucca puts the backseats down, and Lucas is very comfy. Now THAT'S a BIG dog!

Clover

Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
My 70 lb mutt loved riding in my 03 MC. She liked looking out the sunroof & checking out the birds overhead. Unfortunately, the 03 is gone now & she hasn't been in the Cabrio yet. I wonder what she'll think with NO top

Lois

Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
My 70 lb mutt loved riding in my 03 MC. She liked looking out the sunroof & checking out the birds overhead. Unfortunately, the 03 is gone now & she hasn't been in the Cabrio yet. I wonder what she'll think with NO top

Lois
You or the car

Old 01-07-2005, 11:45 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
You or the car
You'll have to wait for warm weather to find out, lotsie

Old 01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
You'll have to wait for warm weather to find out, lotsie
I'm willing to wait

Old 01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
My 65LB Baby loves my Mini

When I adopted my 1st baby (Petey my dog) from the Humane Society we all thought he would be about a 35LB dog. So he was trained to ride in the front seat (my bad). But... he turned out to be a 65LB sweatie who is trained to ride in the front seat of my car. Impossible to change that training. Petey is fine in all cars but he must ride in the front seat. All I have to do is lay the front seat back as far as it will go. Petey sits in front seat like a human person, he wears his doggie seatbelt. I am lax on making him wear his seatbelt, unless the top is down,then he wears it 100% of the time. (I kniow he should wear it all the time)

My main point is big dogs & Mini's do mix. Petey hates his seatbelt but he loves riding with the top down so much that he forgets that he has his seatbelt on. He loves riding with the wind.

Let's Motor.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:21 AM
GrumpyGills
1st Gear
The ultimate Mini accessory

My little buddy matches the interior perfectly. Meant to do that.

Attached Thumbnails minis and dogs...-signoff-mini.jpg  
Old 01-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I had a Shih-Tzu and he was the best! Darby would go everywhere with me! I had a few old Minis and MGs and he would hang out in the garage while I was restoring them. He liked the '59 Mini project the best for some reason and liked to sleep in it when I didn't take him to work with me. He loved to go for a drive and got extremely excited when he heard my keys rattle.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 AM
MINICS04
2nd Gear
Sophie loves our MINI

Our 8 year old Yorkie, Sophie, Loves our MINI. She loves to ride in the car and bark at the naughty doggies!

Attached Thumbnails minis and dogs...-sophie.jpg  
Old 01-08-2005, 06:23 AM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
thanks everyone for your comments. it sounds like i can be a bit less worried about size. now all i have to do is find the perfect dog.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
My perfect dog, he passed away last September from cancer. This was the first pic I ever took of my MINI, doesn't he look proud? Especially with the drool

Amit

Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Get a corgi! we have one and she luvs it

Old 01-08-2005, 08:09 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
He sure does look very proud, and like he was a very good dog, too. Sorry about your loss.

Mark

Old 01-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by djafactor
My perfect dog, he passed away last September from cancer. This was the first pic I ever took of my MINI, doesn't he look proud? Especially with the drool

Amit

Sorry to hear about your dog. He was beautiful.

I like your MINI also. My CR/B should be in by mid-febuary.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 AM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
I have a 56lb Bulldog, and he loves riding in my MINI. He wears a seatbelt (which all dogs should wear) and as soon as he gets in my car, he falls asleep. The moment he hears hte e-brake, he's up and ready to get out!

-Steve

Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by djafactor

Amit

Looks just like my Ruby,how old was he.
Sorry to hear he is gone

Old 01-08-2005, 10:33 AM
tjockey
1st Gear
I travel with 4 MINI Schnauzers all the time for 200-300 miles and they love it. And get a lot of looks from passers-by and double takes as they count the heads in all the windows...

Old 01-08-2005, 10:44 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
I have a Husky .......
GO HUSKIES!! Uccon Huskies I mean. The women are playing
Tennessee today at 2:00.

Oh, sorry , off topic

Love djafactor's lab. My black lab passed away 8 years ago and I'm still sad
Have a Jack Russell now, but I have yet to let him in the MCS. I know, that is horrible.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:46 AM
tjockey
1st Gear
Well the Vols and Smoky Dog will surely kick some Husky butt...

Quick Reply: R50/53 minis and dogs...