R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Does anyone know what the largest size rims that the mini ca

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:44 AM
jeanna
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really considering some 18' but I'm not sure if the mini can fit something that big? If anyone knows anything about this please email or post something asap! Please! Thanks!!!

Jeanna

Old 06-25-2002, 02:45 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just polightly asking............Why?
Just my opinion, but whenever I see little Honda's running around with 18's on, it looks 'off'. I'm not understanding it. Like those SUV & Truck guys who have 24'' street wheels. Not an attack on you, just curious. IMO, it would drastically change the overall handling of the car, as well as performance(heavier rotating objects). But if you're i it just for looks, than I guess that doesn't matter. As 'they' say, "To each their own."
I wouldn't see why they wouldn't fit though. The optional 17's on the 'S' are a tight fit. Well, not too tight. But 18's would be close. But I think it would be OK, if you get low profile tires. But I'd be worried about bumping wheel wells and springs. The turning radias may be a little screwed. If you happen to know anyone in the business(tire shop, mechanic friend), ask for a test fit of an 18" wheel. Think that may be the for sure way to do it.
Cheers.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:11 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear

>>I am really considering some 18' but I'm not sure if the mini can fit something that big? If anyone knows anything about this please email or post something asap! Please! Thanks!!!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Jeanna

Same here - buy WHY!?! Your performance will suffer - but if you do not care about performance and you are all about the 'bling-bling' - then why not just slap a set of chrome-moly 21" wheels on there and really make a statement.

Again. personally, I am not into anything bigger than a 16" on this car, but if it makes you happy - then this is all that matters.

-Peter

2002 Mini Jet Black with Tartan Red

Old 06-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Rich_W
1st Gear
Yes, a heavy 18" wheel will inhibit performance... but a light wheel will not. Not all 18" selections are heavy.

For Example, OZ makes the Superleggera wheel in 18x7, 4x100, ET37 for Mini fitment at 18.5 lbs per wheel. Combined with a lighter 215/35/18 (non run-flat)... it will increase performance. Not to mention an increase in steering response from the shorter, stiffer sidewall.

Also, SSR makes their 6-spoke Competition wheel which is slightly lighter in 18x7.5 which is also an excellent choice.

But both these choices are fairly expensive. There are tons of "Looks" wheels out there... most of them junk. But I also have news for you... The stock 17" 8 spoke wheels are super heavy. I've heard 24 lbs each. Combine that with a run flat tire... and you might as will fill the boot with sandbags.

Last point is that if you run super-low profile tires... you have to know how to drive with them... Especially with a mac-strut suspension config. Hit a big hole, and your wheels will pay the price... Its all about awareness. Driving habits need to change accordingly.

BTW... if you do decide to stick with 17's... OZ/Prodrive makes the P1 in Mini fitment... and that is a killer choice as well.

I'm doing the 18" Superleggera's on my Pure Silver MCS... in combination with SPAX fully adjustable coilovers. I actually already have te wheels in hand... and I've not even taken delivery of mine yet... but I've already have had plenty of wheel time in the MCS... and I know what I want.

Old 06-25-2002, 10:06 AM
sirron
5th Gear
I have 17'' Allessio wheels, which are very wide, so any larger would contact the wheel-well. also the Yokohama flat run tires(US spelling) are about as low profile as you can get. The car, license plate, LTL YELO looks very wide and stable. I'll send you a pic. if you like. Ron

Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sirron:
How wide are your tires? In a previous thread, I was asking what the widest tire size possible would be for the new MINI's. Didn't get much of an answer. I was looking at getting something around 215mm for the rear, and maybe some 210's or 205's for the front. All in 16" size. But I'm still wondering what the widest size possilbe is to fit both in the rear and the front. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my MINI, so it's not possible to check as of yet for me.Thx.

Old 06-25-2002, 11:28 AM
jeanna
2nd Gear
I know running that size wheel might seem a bit excessive, but I really just like the look of most 18'', thanks for your input... I am still considering other options and I just wanted to know all the facts before getting my heart set on some wheels and then finding out that they might not be such a good idea. Actually the wheel that I am thinking of running is pretty heavy so I might have to re-think this! But anywhoo, thanks for all of your input and advice! Keep it coming, I am a rookie!

Jeanna

ps. Ron- send me a pic of LTL YELO to add to my growing collection of mini pics!

Old 06-25-2002, 11:35 AM
jeanna
2nd Gear
Rich,

Are you familiar with Hartge?? I was thinking of running those and I haven't really decided what coilovers either, any more info on that would be great! I am going to take look at the wheels you suggested. Thanks for your post!

Jeanna

Old 06-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Rich_W
1st Gear
Honestly... I think the Hartge wheels, while they do look good... they seem very chunky... I know in the BMW fitments they are heavy... I wouldn't be surprised if they were int he 25-28 range. Plus they are wide... I would vote against them.

If you plan on doing coilovers, I would suggest doing an 18x7 or 7.5 with a 215/35/18... then you are certain to be able to lower the car down without rubbing issues.

As far as coilovers go... I know John Cooper Works specs the fully adjustable SPAX units on their club sport cars... so that was my choice. Mine came from George at Mini-Madness.com. My mini gets here mid July, so I'll be posting impressions of my setup then.

I run H&R's on my Audi, and I love them too... IMO, Anything H&R makes is good stuff. But I strongly advise going with a threaded height adjustable coilover setup as opposed to just 'lowering springs'. From what I've seen in fixed height springs, they set the car up too high in front, in comarison to the rear, and make the car look like its got 200 lbs in the boot.

Also... Rogue Engineering (my buddies) are in the process of developing replacement rear lower control arms to compensate for the increase negative camber created when dropping the rear of the Mini. These will allow you to have your lowering cake, and not having to eat the abnormal tire wear. This product will also be fielded on my MCS.

Old 06-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
>>I have 17'' Allessio wheels, which are very wide, so any larger would contact the wheel-well. also the Yokohama flat run tires(US spelling) are about as low profile as you can get. The car, license plate, LTL YELO looks very wide and stable. I'll send you a pic. if you like. Ron

Ron,
If you could post some pics up in the Members MINI gallery.... I'd love to see those wheels.
SW

Old 06-25-2002, 02:37 PM
RussinLB
Neutral
My salesman at Irvine Mini said the car can accommodate up to 18" wheels.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:37 PM
ernie
Neutral
i was wondering whether it would be possible to fit 19s on the mini. Yes, yes, i know several of you out there are already up in arms about the 18s and the performance loss, however, if we were all just interested in performance we should have all ripped out the air conditioning, radio, and sound insulation upon delivery of our cars. Basically, what it comes down to is the degree which we are all willing to give up performance for creature comforts or the looks of the car. I personally am willing to sacrifice the minimal loss in performance for a larger wheel/tire package. Furthermore, I dont think many people realize how heavy the stock cast rims are. Although a lighter 18 inch wheel may hamper performance minimally due to the fact that the majority of the weight in the wheel is now placed farther out from the axis of rotation, I think the tradeoff for the looks is well worth it. Now to my question, does anyone know the stock offset and width of the factory 17" rims?

Ernie

P.S. yes, hartges are a little chunky.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:58 PM
sirron
5th Gear
my mini and the wheel pic is on the site now

Old 06-26-2002, 07:05 PM
jeanna
2nd Gear
Rich,

Thanks for the advice about the adjustable coilovers, in most cases I have heard nothing but good things about them, we'll see how the funds are by the time I get to them I still love the Hartge classics!!! Chunky or not they are my favorite rim but i am open to almost anything as long as it has a polished lip!!!!!!!
Thanks!

~Jeanna

Old 06-26-2002, 07:24 PM
jeanna
2nd Gear
Ron,

Where exactly is your mini? In the member minis in the gallery?

Jeanna

Old 06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>Ron,
>>
>> Where exactly is your mini? In the member minis in the gallery?
>>
>>
>> Jeanna
Yes it's the last three pics as of two minutes ago

Old 06-26-2002, 08:01 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>Sirron:
>>How wide are your tires? In a previous thread, I was asking what the widest tire size possible would be for the new MINI's. Didn't get much of an answer. I was looking at getting something around 215mm for the rear, and maybe some 210's or 205's for the front. All in 16" size. But I'm still wondering what the widest size possilbe is to fit both in the rear and the front. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my MINI, so it's not possible to check as of yet for me.Thx.
>>
>>
Pics are on the members gallery, last 4 pics , I'll have to check the sizes. Ron