R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Supercharger Intake Duct

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Supercharger Intake Duct

Hello all,

Trying to overhaul my new-to-me R53, and the intake duct doesn't want to install back into its place, and in the process the small tab that is used to bolt it to the SC body has broken off.

The part in question:

What are my options to replace this with a bulletproof part? The Sprintex and Harrop kits include methods to delete this system, and frankly if there isn't something that upgrades the OEM piece of junk, I'm going to swap blowers. This one has been replaced, but frankly if the part isn't going to create a serviceable scenario, I'll just delete it...

Thanks,
Pat

Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Isn't that the part that connects the throttle body to the supercharger intake? I'm pretty sure you can't just delete that part. You are better off to just get on ebay, or Way Motor Works, or ECS Tuning...and buy a new one. It's not like it's a common part to fail. Or I guess you could go out and spend $5000 on a Sprintex instead of replacing that $100 part....

But maybe I'm wrong...and there is a way to delete it?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Isn't that the part that connects the throttle body to the supercharger intake? I'm pretty sure you can't just delete that part. You are better off to just get on ebay, or Way Motor Works, or ECS Tuning...and buy a new one. It's not like it's a common part to fail. Or I guess you could go out and spend $5000 on a Sprintex instead of replacing that $100 part....

But maybe I'm wrong...and there is a way to delete it?
Well if you mean delete as in remove from the system entirely, then not quite. I mean it more so as in to replace permanently with a properly high quality part.

Similarly, I replaced the coolant overflow tank with a Canton Racing products option. ~6x more expensive than OEM, but it'll never fail or be the source of continued frustrations. In similar guise, I'm willing to spend up to $400 or so on a part that won't fail because BMW was determined to create as compact of a package as possible.

And yes, spending $3500 [For the TVS kit, the Sprintex is $2500] (idk where you got 5k, unless you need someone to install it for you too, then that makes more sense) to: gain 25% power output, change to an electric water pump, modernize the blower itself, and remove parts such as this that are sub-par and scream "designed by accounting, NOT engineering" is a valid proposition. Total expenditure for this car will still be under $10k (before suspension, brakes, cosmetics) and that's quite fine for something of this ilk.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
No, I don't think there is an upgraded aftermarket option for that part. They are only "sub par" if you are careless when re-installing it and break the tabs off.

Those parts are all over ebay for $50....but if you want a sprintex, by all means...just buy one

Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
No, I don't think there is an upgraded aftermarket option for that part. They are only "sub par" if you are careless when re-installing it and break the tabs off.

Those parts are all over ebay for $50....but if you want a sprintex, by all means...just buy one
What's the secret trick to getting everything to line up then?

The blower is off the car, I've taken the block cooling flange off to fit to the blower first, then attach to the block, and despite all that the only way to get the duct to line up was to force it in manually and that resulted in nothing lining up properly (including the left / black vacuum line from the FPR).

I can repair the factory part easy enough once retrieved from the woods (where uncooperative parts and tools end up), but frankly I'd rather not waste any more time on a system that even allows for such inadequacy. It's a part that seems to be universally regarded as the worst part of that area's assembly, so it comes as a significant surprise that nobody has made a replacement yet.

Plus... have you looked inside it? Holy hell. it's like BMW found a child somewhere and told him to come up with a means to restrict and disrupt the air flow as much as possible. The concept of a "smooth and laminar air flow" was rather lost on whoever made the casting for that piece.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by veedubpat

The blower is off the car, I've taken the block cooling flange off to fit to the blower first, then attach to the block, and despite all that the only way to get the duct to line up was to force it in manually and that resulted in nothing lining up properly (including the left / black vacuum line from the FPR).

I can repair the factory part easy enough once retrieved from the woods (where uncooperative parts and tools end up), but frankly I'd rather not waste any more time on a system that even allows for such inadequacy. It's a part that seems to be universally regarded as the worst part of that area's assembly, so it comes as a significant surprise that nobody has made a replacement yet.

Plus... have you looked inside it? Holy hell. it's like BMW found a child somewhere and told him to come up with a means to restrict and disrupt the air flow as much as possible. The concept of a "smooth and laminar air flow" was rather lost on whoever made the casting for that piece.
I can repair the factory part easy enough once retrieved from the woods (where uncooperative parts and tools end up)

That cracked me up!

I can relate as I had a tricky time with it, mostly it was getting the green gasket to sit correctly.

I agree that it's a half-*** design.

All the plastic crap on these cars has been driving me nuts --- I might be okay with it if they used quality compounds, but most of it is cheap and brittle which all too easily becomes broken and useless.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as he's developing a good substitute:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-r53-mini.html

He's making good progress too, taking his time to iron out all the kinks and create a reliable and serviceable part.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
I can repair the factory part easy enough once retrieved from the woods (where uncooperative parts and tools end up)

That cracked me up!

I can relate as I had a tricky time with it, mostly it was getting the green gasket to sit correctly.

I agree that it's a half-*** design.

All the plastic crap on these cars has been driving me nuts --- I might be okay with it if they used quality compounds, but most of it is cheap and brittle which all too easily becomes broken and useless.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as he's developing a good substitute:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-r53-mini.html

He's making good progress too, taking his time to iron out all the kinks and create a reliable and serviceable part.
I just spent a bit of time on FB Messenger with him, so thanks for that lead!

TB gets relocated and the price is a bit more than I'm looking for as the combo gets it to about 65% the cost of a Sprintex system. I'm interested to see the final product though. He's on the right track. The OEM piece leaves a lot on the table wrt flow characteristics.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Replacing the short rubber hose goes a long way to easing reinstallation. Over time that hose gets hard as a rock and with no flexibility can be almost impossible to reattach. The hose is only 3 inches long but costs somewhere around $36 - ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by veedubpat

When we did the supercharger replacement, I remember having to have the bypass valve and throttle body loose before being able to line everything up with the duct/supercharger and bypass valve. Having some silicone spray to keep the green gasket slippery also was important as well. You're right, not a lot of room to wiggle things into place and I think my son and I had to move things around more than a few times to get everything to line up.

Now, go find that duct in the woods and give it another shot.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
So I've decided that I will give the OEM setup another shot, mainly because at this time, I don't feel that a Sprintex system will make me $2500-worth happier than I will be with the car as it is now (just functioning).

That said, my plan of attack is to mount the blower and a new OEM intake duct first, and then the intake manifold elbow with bypass valve afterwards. In the meantime, I'm taking off the intake manifold to do some mild porting and polishing of all the inlet pieces. That usually helps make a little bit of power. Wasn't planning to, but now that I have to wait for gaskets and things (in addition to that tube - frankly it's >12 years old, it could stand to be replaced), I'll knock out some more freebies.

Well thanks for the help folks. A bit surprised that some items on these cars just haven't really been addressed.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
You could probably find a same diameter radiator hose to replace the short hose. Then you can have several replacements.