R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 INPA yes engine, DSC & PS codes, but nothing else

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:00 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 INPA yes engine, DSC & PS codes, but nothing else

Using Windwos XP 32 bit (also tried windows 7 32bit)
Cable is off ebay K+DCAN (INPA Compatible) with a 4 position selector (I guess to switch between K-line and Dcan?)
I've tried all positions of the switch with same results.
I can enter the ENGINE section and read all areas, but cant access any other body computer.
At the moment I dont have the MIL or engine codes, Just the Main AirBag light, trying to find culprit.
This Mini Might have seen some water or slight flooding, trying to verify all components.

Have tried several versions of INPA and get same results.
Tried DIS got connection to HeadEmulator but keep getting a error 200.166 when trying to read Car.

Havent invested much in this, I could get a NEW cable for my MODEL R53 2006 I assume would be K-line?
Any suggestions on cable or software would be great...

Here a printout of the Identification procedure.

I D E N T I F I C A T I O N R E A D
---------------------------------------
Datum : 08.01.2019 17:48:29
Baureihe : R50
-------------------------------------------------------------
Control unit : Body and Lights redesign
SGBD : bc1rd
JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Engine Management
SGBD : ems2k
JobStatus : OKAY
BMW part number : 7557395
Hardware number : 1
Software number : P1
Supplier : Siemens
Support-Nr : 4
Coding index : 4
Diagnostic index : 38
Bus index : 60
Creating date CW/Year : 47/5
Control unit : Airbag
SGBD : mrs4
Control unit : ABS / DSC
SGBD : dsc_mk60
BMW part number : 6765286
Hardware number : 0.6
Software number : _?_
Supplier : Temic
Support-Nr : 24
Coding index : 11
Diagnostic index : 5
Bus index : _?_
Creating date CW/Year : _?_/2005
Control unit : Immobiliser
SGBD : ews3
Control unit : Sunroof
SGBD : shd46
Control unit : Parking Aid SGBD : pdcact JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Automatic Temp.Control SGBD : ihkar50 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Instrument Pack SGBD : kombi50f JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Instrument Remote SGBD : rip JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Power Steering
SGBD : ehpsr50
BMW part number : 6770303
Hardware number : 25
Software number : 55
Supplier : ZF Steering systems
Support-Nr : 51
Coding index : 0
Diagnostic index : 1
Bus index : 0
Creating date CW/Year : _?_/2005
Control unit : Navigation Europe SGBD : navmk3 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Navigation Japan SGBD : nav_*** JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : TV / Video Module SGBD : videomod JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : BMBT / Display & Controls SGBD : bmbtr50 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : MFL Steering Switches SGBD : mflr50 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : DWS / Tyre Pressure SGBD : dws JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Radio SGBD : radio JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Rain Sensor SGBD : rls_ds2 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
-------------------------------------------------------------C
ontrol unit : Headlamp SGBD : lwr2a JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Steering Angle Sensor SGBD : lws5_1b JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT
Control unit : Audio Amplifier SGBD : dsp_r50 JobStatus : IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT ================================================== ===============

Last edited by SiRaDuDe; 01-08-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
gpvelders
Neutral
Hi SiRaDuDe,

Did you already find the answer?
I'm currently having the same problem with a R50 mini from 2003 :(
Only those 3 ECUs responding...

Best regards,
Geert

Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
No, not yet…
I did connect using a Snap-On computer at a friends shop and it read all codes on all ECUs listed, so at least I know they are working and reporting.
Haven't had much time to invest on the INPA configuration.
Tried the GS1, but, will not connect using the headEmulator, but I think I have some config problems there also, I can connect with the heademulator to the cable IP, but no comunication with software.
My main goal would be to get the GS1 working to be able to program the Alarm Retrofit.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM
gpvelders
Neutral
Thank you for your quick reply!

I have tested connecting with multiple testers:
Autocom/Delphi and Foxwell GT80 Plus. Both normally connect good to BMW and Mini, but no response now except those three...

Looking at the wiring diagrams, it seems to be that all those modules are reached via the instrument cluster on pin 8. And when I try to connect to the instrument cluster only, I get a unknown response/ID/configuration (sorry, forgot to write down...)
So it seems the problems has something to do with the instrument cluster...

I already downloaded 'new' SPDaten files for the R50 (v54.3 - 01.2015), and I'm using Ediabas v7.3.0.

When I 'simply' measure the voltage on the pins I get roughly 5V at pin 7 and only 2V at pin 8... I expected the same as both are K-line, but real communication works at 12V, so maybe the speed is different?

I'll keep you posted when I know more!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 AM
thewizz
2nd Gear
Hi SiRaDuDe and gpvelders,

I realize this post is getting older but was wondering if you had figured out the issue with reading your modules? If not a pretty common problem with the Cables for older Minis is that you need to solder pins 7&8 together on the OBDII connector to get them to read correctly.

I think if you research this (I know its a nightmare searching), pretty much everyone has to do this. Had issues reading my modules before I did this and then soldered these together and Viola everything worked.

Check out this thread if you haven't already... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ferrerid=36609

a few posts down there is an explination of pin 7 and 8 by "spidertnt". I'm sure there is a lot more as well... It's a great thread!

Hope this helps and you get everything worked out!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 AM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Thanks, I will look into this.

My cable has a 4 position selector, I will assume one of these position might jump those 2 pins, will have to look into the cable specs if I can find any.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Throwing in my $0.02 here. I spent a BUNCH of time exploring threads, downloading software, and fighting with it in general. The google drive link below had software that worked, the right libraries, and some decent instructions. It was the step that got me over the finish line into a software/hardware solution that worked!

I don't know that I can answer any questions as it's been at least a year since I set it up, and months since the last time I used it to figure out which wheel speed sensor was on the fritz. Best of luck. Also, it's not my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...zVRSUxIRzhYTms

Cheers,
Duane

Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 AM
gpvelders
Neutral
Hi, the mini arrived again last week, so I can check some more stuff.

Thank you thewizz for the help. I already tried connecting pins 7&8 together, but no changes. I also have a tool to see activity on the pins, and all my diagnostic tools try communicating on pin 7 and 8...
I will take a look at the thread you linked, maybe I'll get some hints there! I'm currently thinking that maybe an incorrect EDIABAS version or combination could be the problem. Or the instrument cluster itself.

I had the chance to test with an ICOM, but when using ISTA (the windows version, so not INPA), it doesn't connect to the vehicle :( it can't read the VIN etc.. strange, seems like ISTA only wants to directly connect to the instrument cluster???

Thanks Duaneo, I will download the software and give it a try!

I'll keep you posted about the progress.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gpvelders
I'll keep you posted about the progress.
Any progress?

I am having difficulty getting full functionality out of INPA also. INPA reads my VIN and some modules. I am trying to reset adaptations and I'm thinking either the cable or the datens could be preventing it from resetting successfully.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
gpvelders
Neutral
Hi nomar116,

My apologies for not giving any feedback!

Both ICOM and INPA cables didn't work on the R50 mini. I even bought another INPA cable with build in switch. No connection possible.
Strange thing: ICOM couldn't connect with the mini when I used ISTA. It seems like ISTA uses the instrumentcluster for recognition?

My equipment works on later Mini's and also BMW's… So I guess the instrumentcluster has problems relaying the information via the DS2 diagnostics channel. My customer has sold the mini so I cannot test further with it.
(Maybe I will buy an early (2001-2003) instrument cluster from a scrapyard just to test if I can connect to it.)

Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM
gpvelders
Neutral
Originally Posted by nomar116
I am having difficulty getting full functionality out of INPA also. INPA reads my VIN and some modules. I am trying to reset adaptations and I'm thinking either the cable or the datens could be preventing it from resetting successfully.
Which modules do connect? Can you connect every time to the same modules? If the modules differ each times, I would suspect a bad connection/cable.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gpvelders
Can you connect every time to the same modules?
Its the same modules every time, I'll need to double check the which ones I can connect to. I know the instrument cluster is not working, but the transmission and engine are. It appears the transmission one is connecting and even resetting the adaptations (it says they reset, although it is in German...).

This also kind of looks like my car is simply resetting the trouble code each time the ignition is cycled. So it may be that INPA is working correctly and I need to figure out what is setting the code. The code is for an S2 solenoid in the transmission...