R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 8 error codes, what is the root cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 AM
clammy77
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 error codes, what is the root cause?

Hi there, I got a code reader, and the code reader gave me 8 different errors. They all seem to be irrelevant, is anyone able to find the root cause of these error codes?

However it seems like throttle body could be faulty?

The error codes are:

0222 Throttle/accelerator-pedal position, sensor/switch 2-input low
1229 Throttle potentiometer-adaptation fault
0123 Throttle/accelerator-pedal position, sensor/switch 1-input high
1617 Control unit, H-bridge driver
0562 Supply voltage, voltage-low
0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction
2270 Oxygen sensor (bank 1, after catalytic converter) - input low
1693 Electronic throttle monitoring, level 2/3, engine throttle and injection deactivation 'B'

Old 11-13-2018, 01:23 AM
clammy77
1st Gear
Btw, the car drives fine, but idles a bit funny, no tumbling, but just not as smooth as say a toyota or something.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 AM
oldironsights
Neutral
When I get a series of seemingly unrelated codes, I first check my battery connections & test the battery.
Low voltage & poor connections can trigger seemingly random codes.
Sometimes ECM connection pins loosen or get dirty/corroded.
Afterwards, I clear the series of codes & see which ones return before trying to chase down the source of each code.
Did your TPS get wet?

Last edited by oldironsights; 11-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:18 PM
clammy77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldironsights
When I get a series of seemingly unrelated codes, I first check my battery connections & test the battery.
Low voltage & poor connections can trigger seemingly random codes.
Sometimes ECM connection pins loosen or get dirty/corroded.
Afterwards, I clear the series of codes & see which ones return before trying to chase down the source of each code.
Did your TPS get wet?
No, but the "rougher idle" started after I tried to install a turbonator (a fan that fits into the intake hose) that required me to connect a wire to the throttle body sensor cable and its signal wire (the purple wire on the cable connecting the throttle body). That installation caused my car to go "limp mode" and I reversed the installation, and then had to limp to a mechanic to clear all the codes, which then cleared the limp mode, but now my car idles just a bit more rougher. I had first suspected that it was my cable/harness that is broken, but I tested each of the 6 wires via a multi-meter, and they all returned the same value, so I could only assume the cable is still delivering the right signals and voltage.

Also those codes that you see, I keep clearing them, but they keep coming back, so it probably means it's not voltage issue?

The mechanic (who makes predictions that are wrong sometimes) said that the turbonator's signal cable released a voltage that broke the throttle body, and I have to replace the throttle body.

The question is this, if the throttle body is faulty, that means my car would always be in limp mode, or it'd idle even more roughly? In fact my car has always had the "engine tumble" rough idle issue from the start when I bought it 2nd hand.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM
oldironsights
Neutral
Just one question;
What is a "turbonator" & why do you require it?

Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 AM
clammy77
1st Gear
A turbonator is basically a fan that fits into the intake hose. I removed it already. It increases the airflow going in the engine, but I guess the supercharger already took care of that.

The way it works is that it is powered by the battery, and there is a signal wire that connects to the throttle body signal wire, so that when you step on the gas pedal, the fan would start.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
How much did that cost? You would do better with a cold air intake.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 AM
clammy77
1st Gear
It costs about 50 bucks, it's actually coupled with a cold air intake. In theory it's pretty cool actually.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 AM
clammy77
1st Gear
Any one have any idea how to clear or fix those error codes? In fact some of the codes like 0562 Supply voltage, voltage-low was always around sorta. Also, would a faulty throttle body cause all these codes to show up? Any possibility our Minis just love spitting out error codes when it's in fact problem free?

Also, can a throttle body be "semi" broken? Right now it doesn't idle perfectly, but the car runs fine. It idles around 900rpm, and it's not smooth, but not rough either. If I step it to like 2k RPM, the car stops the micro-vibration.

The car sometimes has the engine tumble (choke), but I read that most Mini Cooper S R53/R50 do that.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I'll warn you that you're going to get a lot of flak for that "turbonator" hot air intake fan thing. Not trying to be harsh but honestly I would have liked to see your mechanic's face when he opened the hood

Originally Posted by clammy77
some of the codes like 0562 Supply voltage, voltage-low was always around sorta.
You've got a problem here, because you 1) installed a sketchy part 2) into a car that already had an issue that needed immediate attention.

I could easily believe that it fried your throttle servo, but a low-voltage issue, like oldironsights said, can cause numerous random issues by itself and 0562 is a smoking gun. Check your alternator, battery connections, and grounding.

Last edited by HaltCatchFire; 11-14-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
“I'll warn you that you're going to get a lot of flak for that "turbonator" hot air intake fan thing.”

i was trying to be nice. Reminds me of the magnet gimmick that was suppose to attach around your fuel line and straighten out the molecules for better mileage.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 PM
clammy77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
I'll warn you that you're going to get a lot of flak for that "turbonator" hot air intake fan thing. Not trying to be harsh but honestly I would have liked to see your mechanic's face when he opened the hood

You've got a problem here, because you 1) installed a sketchy part 2) into a car that already had an issue that needed immediate attention.

I could easily believe that it fried your throttle servo, but a low-voltage issue, like oldironsights said, can cause numerous random issues by itself and 0562 is a smoking gun. Check your alternator, battery connections, and grounding.
Thanks so much for your help, will do. I'll swap out the throttle body first, see what happens.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:46 PM
clammy77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
“I'll warn you that you're going to get a lot of flak for that "turbonator" hot air intake fan thing.”

i was trying to be nice. Reminds me of the magnet gimmick that was suppose to attach around your fuel line and straighten out the molecules for better mileage.
Haha yeah, will remind me to not install random sh*t into my car in the future. Thanks for the tip

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 PM
clammy77
1st Gear
So, after installing the throttle body replacement, all the error codes cleared up, but still 2 are left (I haven't driven the car yet).

P1617 Control Unit, H-bridge driver
P1692 Electronic throttle monitoring, level 2/3, engine throttle and injection deactivation 'A'

Since these 2 errors, the car was able to start up fine, and no hiccups, engine seems to be pumping just fine. I turned off the car. A week later i tried starting it again, it went into limp mode. I turn it off, recharge the battery, and turn it back up again, and the car was running fine. Any one have any idea what is happening here?