Heat Shield Removal - North American Motoring

R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

Heat Shield Removal

Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

Heat Shield Removal

Anyone have any insight into getting the exhaust manifold heat shield that bolts into the motor to come off? I know its the two 13mm bolts up top but the heads of them are so unbelievably shallow and the shield so close to the bolts that I cant find a tool that will come close to working.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmoonshine View Post
Anyone have any insight into getting the exhaust manifold heat shield that bolts into the motor to come off? I know its the two 13mm bolts up top but the heads of them are so unbelievably shallow and the shield so close to the bolts that I cant find a tool that will come close to working.
You obvious do not have the right tool. Try 6 point socket instead of 12. Also fineness matters if it is not all too late beyond the point of no return.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwR53S View Post
You obvious do not have the right tool. Try 6 point socket instead of 12. Also fineness matters if it is not all too late beyond the point of no return.
So the bigger issue I'm running into is being able to get the socket all the way onto the head of the bolt. The distance from the head of the bolt to the side of the shield is crazy tight. Which, of course, means go get a thin walled socket
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Get a hammer and tap on the socket might give you more bite which is what I did. You should not complain being in CA as opposed in TO, Detroit, or Jersey.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Vendor

You shouldn't have any issue getting a socket on them, the only cars I've had to at times jump over to a 13mm open end are those that have RMW headers on them because the heat shield had to be bent up a bit to clear the runners.

I use a 3/8" ratchet that has a pivot head and a deep 13mm, no issues.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

Is the heat shield crinkled to a point where the are pushing up around the bolt. I'm trying to understand your point of using a thin walled socket? I am able to use a 6-point socket or ratchet wrench with no problem.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:23 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbedamit View Post
Is the heat shield crinkled to a point where the are pushing up around the bolt. I'm trying to understand your point of using a thin walled socket? I am able to use a 6-point socket or ratchet wrench with no problem.
That is my exact point of using a hammer to drive home.

With anything exhaust you typically only get one chance and you never want to squander it.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:29 AM
Administrator

The heat shield stuff is pretty soft and malleable so compressing it to get better access for the socket would be logical to me. Would think a little larger socket would be step one and then go with the correct size.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts View Post
The heat shield stuff is pretty soft and malleable so compressing it to get better access for the socket would be logical to me. Would think a little larger socket would be step one and then go with the correct size.
Soft is an understatement. When I added my lower shifter extension to further shorten my shift throw, I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer like an english wheel to allow space for the shifter tail to move around.

I seriously think I've bitten into an Airhead taffy that was stouter stuff!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

I ran down and grabbed a 6pt from my neighbor. Whoever put it on last time had it on crazy tight. But all is well now and its off. Now to get it all out of the bay. Thanks guys
Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 AM
5th Gear

Put a little anti-seize on the threads so you won't incur the problem next time.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT View Post
Put a little anti-seize on the threads so you won't incur the problem next time.
Haha gotta get to that point first. Replacing the lower heat shield is turning into the biggest nightmare known to man