Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

To shield or not to shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 AM
jennscooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To shield or not to shield

I am debating getting the invisishield for my BRG car and would like some feedback please. Is it worth the money it will cost? What does it protect against? It has a 5 year warranty..what does that warranty cover? And finally, I got a quote from the local dealer for $597 to install the bumper and bonnet pieces (basically I guess the front of the car). Is that a reasonable quote? After just buying the car (it is a month old) I am really strapped for cash, but also don't want to wait if it is something that is a good investment. Any feedback would be most appreciated! Is it worth the money?? I love my car and want it to look perfect as long as possible!

Thanks!:smile:

Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 AM
tfleury9
1st Gear
I too have a '04 BRG S. I didn't get a clear bra and wish I would have. I have a few ugly stone chips on the hood and front bumper. I can't comment on the prices you've been quoted but wish I would have explored it earlier.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 AM
atn57
4th Gear
I install the clear bra about 3 months ago. And it is the best thing I ever did to keep the car looking good. For the first month without the clear bra, I had some chips because rocks. I installed the clear bra myself. It took a while because I never installed it before but I got it done. I put my bonnet strips on over the clear bra and it looks great. The kit doesn't cost to much. You can get both the bonnet and the bummer for around 300. I got it from this site

http://www.autoclearguard.com/paintmini.htm

I think if you pay someone to install it. The price range should be i think 150-200. So if I ever get a new car again I will get the clear bra again.

motor on

ant

Old 07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
I would recommend it, and think that price sounds about right. I think my clear bra has saved my bonnet from lots of dings already in the first year, and it really is invisible from a distance.

I paid about $800 for the complete dealer-installed set to cover my bonnet, bumper, lights, and mirrors, and I think that's a fairly average price...since you're getting the bumper and bonnet only, $200 less sounds about right. You might want to consider adding the lights (headlights, fogs, and driving lamps) if that's not already included in your quote.

The one thing I wouldn't necessarily recommend is the side mirror protection, because on white mirrors the clear bra is more visible, and has a faint yellow-ish tint to it. OTOH, the mirrors do get hit with a lot of debris on the road, so if you have black side mirrors I'd go for it.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:15 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
$600 and $800 seem a little steep.

In Colorado (lots of competition for this product) I paid $450 to get clearbra on the following:
- the first 24" of the hood
- the grille slats
- the bumper cover
- mirror caps
- headlight

Old 07-16-2004, 01:21 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD

In Colorado (lots of competition for this product) I paid $450 to get clearbra on the following:
- the grille slats
- the bumper cover
- mirror caps
- headlight
DiD's probably right....while I think the $600 and $800 are typical dealer prices, you can do better by shopping around and doing things like ordering the bra parts on the internet and then finding a local non-dealer shop to do the installation. I took the easy/lazy route and just had the dealer do it on delivery.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I went with a local installer and for $600 he did:

pre-cut kit for front bumper, bonnet, and mirrors
door handle recesses
A-pillar covers
front of roof
rear bumper
bottom few inches of rear hatch door

You'll do better finding an independent installer than letting the dealer do it. They just hire an independent installer anyway - they're just the middleman taking a cut. Plus you'll have to bring your car to the dealer - my installer came to my house and installed it in my garage.

See the link in my sig for some clear bra install pictures and final results.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:37 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD

- the grille slats
- the bumper cover
- mirror caps
- headlight
How did the grille slats work out? I wanted to have them done but my installer said the film didn't adhere well to the plastichrome. Is it worth doing?

Old 07-18-2004, 08:46 AM
jennscooper
1st Gear
Thanks for the feedback! I was really hesitant because I am so broke right now (having just bought the car) but really want to protect Mingo..and I shopped around and found an independent guy that is doing the complete package..mirrors, lights, bumper, grille, and hood, for $500 total. Yippee! I checked out a reference who said he is a perfectionist..just what I want touching my little green car! I will let you know how he turns out for people who live in my area...don't see many posts from Atlanta on here...this site is awesome for getting help! Thanks.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:24 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think installing a clear bra on your MINI is a very good thing. I've had a few tiny stone chips (clearcoat only) and a clear bra would have prevented the bulk of them.....but not all. I have had a few way up on the bonnet and, of course, the windshield. Got a few on my mirrors, too and one or two scratches on my wheels from god-knows-where. All these are minor, minor, minor.

Just saying this because no matter how hard we try (and it IS worth trying) its next to impossible to completely protect a daily driver. I think we all know this, so just brace yourself for the inevitable trauma or two.

PS - I have had a few BIG booboos...some hail damage, a door ding, and a ding on my bonnet. All were swiftly dealt with at my local (awesome!*) body shop because......I do care more than is probably "healthy."

*Dent Works, Fort Worth

Old 07-18-2004, 09:31 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
I opted not to go with the clear bra and I haven't regretted it. I've had my front bumper replaced twice - once when someone backed into me and once when I was hit by aluminum road debris which left a rather large gash in my front bumper (and totalled my windshield). A clear bra wouldn't have helped in either instance, and I would've just had to replace it each time. Also, I don't like the way some of them look close up. On a BRG car though, you shouldn't have any probs with the way it looks.

In a few years if it's really that bad, I'll have the front end repainted.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:30 PM
BostonMarkC
4th Gear
Best few hundred bucks you'll spend on the car, IMO...

Old 07-19-2004, 02:50 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Hey jennscooper, I just got back from the AtlantaMINIs club drive in the North Georgia mountains and the roads were completely full of gravel...I don't know why (is it gravel season or something?) but it was flying all over our MINIs, and re-confirmed for me that the clear bra was a good idea. So if you're going to be doing any driving north of town (and you ought to!) go with the bra.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:26 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
If it was actually invisible I would give it more consideration.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
BostonMarkC
4th Gear
It's very, very hard to see...

Old 07-20-2004, 04:59 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never spend that kind of money on clear film. You should just do what I do. I never get chips.

Ok, I am just kidding! This is what I did to get the car the 300 miles home from the dealer where I bought it. I installed the Xpel clear bra the next day. The MINI kit is pretty tough to install for the do-it-yourselfer. I have done dozens of kits so was ready to tackle it.

Get a clear bra! It's WORTH IT!:smile:

Some of the prices quoted on this thread are pretty high, however. SHOP AROUND!