R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 CAI Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM
swunder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI Filter Cleaning

Hey everyone -- 5 years and ~60k miles ago I installed a DDM Works CAI on my 04 R53. Now I finally got around to reading and realizing that you are supposed to actually clean that filter once in a while. Unfortunately, my M7 strut bar has been screwed on so tight by various shops over the years that the bolts are nearly stripped (not totally ruined though) and I can't unscrew them by hand. The bar blocks my ability to access the CAI.

Is it worth taking to a shop and having them take it off and clean the filter for me (maybe during my next oil change)? I don't care if its an easy job to do myself normally... if they charge 50 bucks for it fine. Mostly just wondering how important it is to get that filter cleaned/changed. I don't live in the desert (North NJ) but 5 years is a long time in any climate.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Not a good situation....recently seen an intercooler caked with debris from a foam filter which had not been properly maintained.....which also means dirt and debris has been making its way into your engine.

I would attend to this at your soonest...and at this juncture, I would swap out the foam filter for new one from DDM....if the filter has been in there this long, it wont be worth cleaning.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 PM
swunder
2nd Gear
Figured as much, any preference between the Uni Foam and K&N?

http://www.ddmworks.com/Filters-for-...kes_p_160.html

Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
UNI - if foam.

The K&N kit is for paper style filters and not to be used with Foam.

But I would not bother with even dolling out the cash for a 30 dollar kit. You WILL need a new filter, and they come pre-oiled....

Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Yes, get that baby cleaned... but more importantly get those Strut Brace nuts replaced and you may want to start looking at Guide Supports for your Struts if the mounting studs have been damaged.

Be Safe.

Motor On!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swunder
Hey everyone -- 5 years and ~60k miles ago I installed a DDM Works CAI on my 04 R53. Now I finally got around to reading and realizing that you are supposed to actually clean that filter once in a while. Unfortunately, my M7 strut bar has been screwed on so tight by various shops over the years that the bolts are nearly stripped (not totally ruined though) and I can't unscrew them by hand. The bar blocks my ability to access the CAI.

Is it worth taking to a shop and having them take it off and clean the filter for me (maybe during my next oil change)? I don't care if its an easy job to do myself normally... if they charge 50 bucks for it fine. Mostly just wondering how important it is to get that filter cleaned/changed. I don't live in the desert (North NJ) but 5 years is a long time in any climate.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JABowders
Yes, get that baby cleaned... but more importantly get those Strut Brace nuts replaced and you may want to start looking at Guide Supports for your Struts if the mounting studs have been damaged.

Be Safe.

Motor On!

My question would be: Are you saying the cross bar bolts are nearly stripped or the nuts to the strut mounts?

If it's the former, it should simply be an issue of removing the cross member, taking the fasteners to a hardware/ fastener store, and buying replacements. If it's the latter, given that you're saying "over the years" is it maybe time for strut and mount replacement?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 AM
swunder
2nd Gear
Just the cross bar bolts, and only the center ones at that. I can take the whole bar off by undoing the larger bolts that connect it to the braces themselves. However I'll have to try a ratchet as my crappy screwdriver set was not budging those.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:37 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Just the cross bar bolts, and only the center ones at that. I can take the whole bar off by undoing the larger bolts that connect it to the braces themselves. However I'll have to try a ratchet as my crappy screwdriver set was not budging those.
Gotcha. I'd personally just go grab new fasteners after getting it removed. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
My question would be: Are you saying the cross bar bolts are nearly stripped or the nuts to the strut mounts?

If it's the former, it should simply be an issue of removing the cross member, taking the fasteners to a hardware/ fastener store, and buying replacements. If it's the latter, given that you're saying "over the years" is it maybe time for strut and mount replacement?
The 6 strut mount bolts are separate from the ones needed to be removed so as to service the oil filter and air filter. I have the same unit, and the threads in the top plates eventually become stripped from constant removal, reattachment.

(internet photo)

Guessing his repair shop used red loc-tite or similar last time it was cinched down.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Figured as much, any preference between the Uni Foam and K&N?

http://www.ddmworks.com/Filters-for-...kes_p_160.html
If you mean which type of filter since they offer both for your airbox....I would opt for the K&N if you haven't the time to clean as often as required. The foam filters require dedicated service intervals.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Those two threaded holes at each end of the M7 Strut Bar wore out on the GP and I repaired them by obtaining a PERMA-COIL 1221-310 Kit for M10x1.5. It includes a drill, tap and inserts. You'll never have to worry about wearing out the threads again.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
The 6 strut mount bolts are separate from the ones needed to be removed so as to service the oil filter and air filter. I have the same unit, and the threads in the top plates eventually become stripped from constant removal, reattachment.

(internet photo)

Guessing his repair shop used red loc-tite or similar last time it was cinched down.
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Those two threaded holes at each end of the M7 Strut Bar wore out on the GP and I repaired them by obtaining a PERMA-COIL 1221-310 Kit for M10x1.5. It includes a drill, tap and inserts. You'll never have to worry about wearing out the threads again.

OK, I didn't realize that the outer bars were threaded for the machine screw... Doesn't really change my answer much. I would either A) drill and tap for a larger flared machine screw, or B) drill out the threads on the lower bar and purchase a linger screw, lock washer and nut and then through bolt.

My answer would depend upon space and fastener prices.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
It's somewhat of a common issue with these plates. If folks call m7 they indicated to me to just send the top plates to them to either fix/replace and not molest it in any way.

It's a great bar and purchased mine used 9 yrs ago, would definitely purchase again.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On my end, I purchased an extra foam UNI filter to swap with when I clean mine. I clean every 6 months. Hopes it works out for you