R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My sweet new MINI-related domain names!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After kicking myself for not getting defender90.com for my Land Rovers, I decided that I would act quickly to hoard some really top notch MINI related domain names for the small aftermarket business that I am starting up in the next couple months.

Coming soon to a flat screen near you!

mini2rally .com and .net
rallymini2 .com and .net
minicooperrally .com and .net
rallyminicooper .com and .net
minicooperracing .net

I thought I would just get one or 2, but when I discovered that these awesome names were all available, I just had to have all of them.

Anybody looking for a MINI related domain name should act quickly before the best ones are all gone. I have my stash, now go get yours!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 11-18-2002, 06:54 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to slim down my horde of domain names. When I hit 160 I pinched myself and said "get real".

So maybe I should stack up again!

Things like "CanadianMiniRally.ca" etc, etc.

A terrific place to register and control your domains is EasyDNS.

Amazing control over your stash. Worth checking.

=R= #3077
My Sharona (Temorarily AWOL on her way to the BMW compound in Toronto): LY/B MCS, Stripes, Premium & Sport Packs, Sunroof & Leather. Cold Pack is included in Canada, eh?

Old 11-19-2002, 01:34 PM
gerbs
3rd Gear
i use either joker.com or godaddy.com for mine

...easy, simple, cheap, secure... what more?

Old 11-19-2002, 05:11 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Ugh...hording domain names really irks me. I'll look forward to seeing you start a business and make the most of your domains. But if something happens and you aren't able to do anything with your domains after a reasonable period of time, please release them so that someone else can develop thos URLs. Or at the very least, let them go to a serious developer for face value.

Sorry to be harsh, but as a professional web designer, I've seen too many URLs that would perfect for one of my projects sit unused for years. When approached, the owners inevitably want to extort some exorbitant sum from me.

Oh, and Go Daddy rocks!

Old 11-19-2002, 05:17 PM
gerbs
3rd Gear
>>Oh, and Go Daddy rocks!

Old 11-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Yucca Patrol
I am actually starting a MINI related business, however I am not disclosing my new business domain just yet. These other top-notch domains that I am "hoarding" will all point to my business and provide a steady stream of hits that are needed to have the successful company that I envision.

As far as hoarding goes, I purposefully left the .org domains available for the clubs and non-profits that can benefit from a top-notch domain name. But now that I have disclosed that little nugget, someone will just come along, read this post, and hoard them too. I have a list of very excellent MINI related names that I am just going to keep in my notebook but leave available for anyone who discovers that they are still available.

But anyone interested in the best domain names containing combinations of "MINI2", "MINI Cooper", and "Rally" will need to discuss the matter with me unless they want to put dashes in their name or make it a lame-o .biz or .tv

Old 11-20-2002, 08:33 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Soopa:

My domain names aren't horded - they are (for the most part) strategically held to ward off competition in some of our niche business areas. I've even given (not sold) some domains to professional associations that I belong to - as long as they agree NEVER to let the domains fall into the hands of my direct competition. Domains held by associations become a shared asset for all members.

However, I do have some fun ones that are just waiting their turn............!!!

=R= #3077
My Sharona (Waiting to be released from the BMW compound in Toronto): LY/B MCS, Stripes, Premium & Sport Packs, Sunroof & Leather. Cold Pack is included in Canada, eh?

Old 11-21-2002, 06:31 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>
>>A terrific place to register and control your domains is EasyDNS.
>>
>>Amazing control over your stash. Worth checking.
>>

Don't know about their features but their prices are very high for domain name registration nowadays.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:27 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
sounds to my like you're trying to be a CYBERSQUATTER.

Old 11-21-2002, 09:09 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Here's My Domain Name http://www.MightyMiniZ.com

Domain name "holding" is a normal practice for many, especially the smaller folk. That is only if you have something to lose, doesn't seem like there is much to lose in a MINI domain operation. and I wouldn't be surprised if MINI INC comes around Later to slap all of us somehow. Especially those attempting to make an income off ( Look at the Major franchises) their product without paying their legal and licensing fees, which could be in the multiple thousands of dollars per agreement.

GOOD LUCK My Mighty Friends!

Doug

Old 11-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Yucca Patrol
Not too worried about BMW coming down hard. Just look at websites like bmwparts.com or VWVortex.com that use the name of a vehicle to promote that same vehicle's manufacturer in some direct or indirect way. Big companies just have too much to worry about that hassle people who are actually a source of income for themselves.

And besides, a "mini cooper" is a small man who makes wooden barrels for a living, and it is only coincidence that some big auto company appears to be trying to steal a piece of the barrel making industry's pie.

2003 MCS, BRG/W on the truck to my dealer!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 11-22-2002, 06:45 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
>>My domain names aren't horded - they are (for the most part) strategically held >>to ward off competition in some of our niche business areas.

Rygold,

Registering and holding a domain with the intention of blocking another from using it is considered "bad faith" usage under ICANN's arbitration rules.

Remember, you don't actually own those domain names, they belong to the public. You have purchased the rights to use them. If you don't use them in "good faith", someone else can make a good case for taking that right from you.

YuccaPatrol and I had good series of lengthy PMs on this subject, I can send those to you, or post them here, if anyone is interested.

-Soopa

Old 11-22-2002, 06:51 AM
2minis
6th Gear
If you want to see 'hoarding' domains to the max
check out georgebushsucks.com
Not much left to it but you can still contribute
to the 2000 Bush-Cheney fund. They even
bought that one.
GW GOP site....

Old 11-22-2002, 07:03 AM