R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cooling Fan Won't Stay in High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling Fan Won't Stay in High Speed

I have a 2004 R53 manufactured in Dec. 2003. I've had the car for about a year, and I love it.

I'm having an issue with the cooling fan. It doesn't seem to be able to stay running at high speed. The fan runs, but when the car warms up it will kick into the high speed for a second or so. Then it drops back down to the lower speed.

Coolant temp is usually around 205-208 degrees Fahrenheit, and sometimes the fan has to run for a bit after the engine is shut off. Also, coolant has been escaping from the top of the expansion tank. Changed the cap, but it's still happening after spirited driving.

My question is, can I order an OEM relay for the fan and replace it myself, or do I need to order the entire fan assembly?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
EMINIparts.com is my go-to for replacement OEM parts-It sounds like a failing relay. Could be fan motor as well, test your relay.
http://eminiparts.com/parts/2004/Min...iagram=1970055

Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Thanks for the link. My search of the forum showed people having trouble with the low speed fan resistor. Now I'm wondering if the problem is with my relay or the resistor.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Photodesign
Thanks for the link. My search of the forum showed people having trouble with the low speed fan resistor. Now I'm wondering if the problem is with my relay or the resistor.
In my experience when it comes to electrical problems be prepared to do some hunting

Last edited by Qik420; 08-09-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The high speed fan will turn off and on at a certain temp. I think it's around 215. So it's probably just going to low speed because you are under that.

If antifreeze is coming out of the top are you sure that's it's just not overfilled? You don't fill the reservoir all the way to the top.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem that people are having with the resistor is that their low speed fan doesn't work at all. Sounds like yours is working great.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You should have the high speed turn to low speed....then maybe off after a few minutes, or even back to high speed...
If you are hearing the high speed cycle ON/OFF , WITHOUT low speed, the resistor is gone...
Your description makes it sounds like it is fine...working as needed.
If coolant is leaking out from being over psi, there are issues elsewhere, like being over filled (the coolant should be up to the baffling fins, maybe a tiny bit higher....if it is overfilled, it WILL BLOW OUT THE TOP as it expands....if not overfilled, then you might have air trapped somewhere or even a headgasket issue brewing.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
The high speed fan will turn off and on at a certain temp. I think it's around 215. So it's probably just going to low speed because you are under that.

If antifreeze is coming out of the top are you sure that's it's just not overfilled? You don't fill the reservoir all the way to the top.
I have the alloy resivoir tank, and overfilling was my first thought. I did check it out and saw some posts about checking the level using a straw. I don't think it's that.it just seems funny that the high speed fan seems to try to kick in but immediately drops down as soon as it gets to speed.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
The problem that people are having with the resistor is that their low speed fan doesn't work at all. Sounds like yours is working great.
Thanks for the clarification. I was a little confused about that. Yes, it's the high speed that won't "take."

Old 08-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You should have the high speed turn to low speed....then maybe off after a few minutes, or even back to high speed...
If you are hearing the high speed cycle ON/OFF , WITHOUT low speed, the resistor is gone...
Your description makes it sounds like it is fine...working as needed.
If coolant is leaking out from being over psi, there are issues elsewhere, like being over filled (the coolant should be up to the baffling fins, maybe a tiny bit higher....if it is overfilled, it WILL BLOW OUT THE TOP as it expands....if not overfilled, then you might have air trapped somewhere or even a headgasket issue brewing.
Low speed is fine, but high speed shuts off as soon as it spins up. Then it goes back to low speed instantly. It's almost as if the moment it is spinning at the correct RPM, it gives up.....

Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Low speed is fine, but high speed shuts off as soon as it spins up. Then it goes back to low speed instantly. It's almost as if the moment it is spinning at the correct RPM, it gives up.....
It's working as needed....
As soon as the temp drops that tiny bit that turned it on, it returns to the loe speed...
It's not supposed to stay on Hi...
It only runs long enough to drop the temp....if you were just on the threshold of turning it on...it's not needed for long...
The only time most hear the HI run for prolonged time periods if all is ok is after a track run when the block is holding lots of latent heat....that's why cars are typically idled after a auto-x of track run...
Another thought about your staining....
The mini has an expansion tank only...no overflow which on most cars catch the steam as it condenses....so the fact it vents a bit, I have heard other folks on other boards with similar tanks same the same thing....tank should not be more than about half full....more is not better.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
It's working as needed....
As soon as the temp drops that tiny bit that turned it on, it returns to the loe speed...
It's not supposed to stay on Hi...
It only runs long enough to drop the temp....if you were just on the threshold of turning it on...it's not needed for long...
The only time most hear the HI run for prolonged time periods if all is ok is after a track run when the block is holding lots of latent heat....that's why cars are typically idled after a auto-x of track run...
Another thought about your staining....
The mini has an expansion tank only...no overflow which on most cars catch the steam as it condenses....so the fact it vents a bit, I have heard other folks on other boards with similar tanks same the same thing....tank should not be more than about half full....more is not better.
Thanks for the info!

So is ~205 degrees Fahrenheit the normal temperature that I should see while driving? It seems slightly warm. It can go up to 210 if I'm stuck n traffic, but it never drops below 200 once it warms up.