R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Ready for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 PM
JrMC40
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready for upgrades

So I have been saving up and I now have enough to seriously upgrade my '04 MC40. Here is what I currently have:

aFe CAI
Borla catback
17% pulley
2% crank (no dampener)
5% alternator pulley
Dinan strut brace
Shark Injector -_-
Various cosmetics

I have $5k to spend and would like some input on the best possible performance upgrades I can do with that. Here are the things I'm leaning towards:

Headers
Camshaft
Fuel injectors
Upgraded suspension
Rear sway bar
Upgraded brakes
Legitimate tune

I appreciate all the input I can get and am definitely trying to spend the money right. If you could include links and pricing info that would be great!

Old 06-02-2016, 04:44 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JrMC40
So I have been saving up and I now have enough to seriously upgrade my '04 MC40. Here is what I currently have: aFe CAI Borla catback 17% pulley 2% crank (no dampener) 5% alternator pulley Dinan strut brace Shark Injector -_- Various cosmetics I have $5k to spend and would like some input on the best possible performance upgrades I can do with that. Here are the things I'm leaning towards: Headers Camshaft Fuel injectors Upgraded suspension Rear sway bar Upgraded brakes Legitimate tune I appreciate all the input I can get and am definitely trying to spend the money right. If you could include links and pricing info that would be great!
Take out the shark thing and go for a real tune on a dyno after you do headers, injectors and camshaft. Rear sway bar for sure - skip the big brake kit and get a good set of pads on there.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
header for sure, I love mine. injectors since youll want a tune with the cam shaft and rsb. with brakes, just get some pull offs of a r56, and thatll be good!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditch the shark injector. The previous owner installed it on my R53 and it ran like crap until I removed it.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
In this order:
- Ditch the Shark
- Header (if you're never going to go to a BVH then OBX our similar will be fine, if you think you may eventually go to a BVH then look into RMW or Mynes)
- Cam, Adjusted Cam Gear or both
- Injectors ( 380cc's should be fine for stock head, 450cc's or larger for BVH)
- Custom Tune
- Rear Sway Bar (I prefer the 25mm hollow)
- Brakes (BBK if you have the money, good pads of you don't)

Old 06-02-2016, 03:09 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Ditto on the Shark and don't do the crank and alternator pullies.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's not recommended to go over a total of 17% reduction because it will over spin the charger and create too much heat. If you go lightened crank pulley get a solid design, not a spoked pulley. Get a stock size crank pulley either way you go though, just get a 17% charger pulley. A limited slip is a great option too, will help get the power down.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 PM
JrMC40
1st Gear
Thanks

I appreciate all the input, I know the shark injector is garbage I just haven't taken it off yet. I think I'm gonna go with suspension and rear sway first. Then from there header, cam, 380cc's and tune.

I would assume the JCW 380s would be fine. Other than the OBX what are some other header recommendations that aren't too expensive and what camshaft should I go with?
Once all this is done the RMW tune sounds like the best option from my reading over the years. I've heard only the best about Jan.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Upgrade for MC40

So I have been saving up and I now have enough to seriously upgrade my '04 MC40. Here is what I currently have:

aFe CAI
Borla catback
17% pulley
2% crank (no dampener)
5% alternator pulley
Dinan strut brace
Shark Injector -_-
Various cosmetics

I have $5k to spend and would like some input on the best possible performance upgrades I can do with that. Here are the things I'm leaning towards:

Headers
Camshaft
Fuel injectors
Upgraded suspension
Rear sway bar
Upgraded brakes
Legitimate tune

I appreciate all the input I can get and am definitely trying to spend the money right. If you could include links and pricing info that would be great!
There are some great background articles here on various stages of tuning for your 04, including suspension, engine, exhaust, brakes, interior, etc.

We can help you with all your needs. Just name it!

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Results/stage/All

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I appreciate all the input, I know the shark injector is garbage I just haven't taken it off yet. I think I'm gonna go with suspension and rear sway first. Then from there header, cam, 380cc's and tune.

I would assume the JCW 380s would be fine. Other than the OBX what are some other header recommendations that aren't too expensive and what camshaft should I go with?
Once all this is done the RMW tune sounds like the best option from my reading over the years. I've heard only the best about Jan.

Thanks!
If you're going to have Jan tume the car, look into his street cam, as far as the header, just do a search, there are many to choose from in the $200-300 range, just don't spend $1k if you're not doing a BVH.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 06-05-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM
scoopieb
2nd Gear

aFe CAI
Borla catback
17% pulley
2% crank (no dampener)
5% alternator pulley
Dinan strut brace
Shark Injector -_-
Various cosmetics

Headers
Camshaft
Fuel injectors
Upgraded suspension
Rear sway bar
Upgraded brakes
Legitimate tune

As said before ditch the shark.
I'd also go back to the stock size crank pulley and just run the 17% SC pulley. That's just me, there are 2 camps on the crank pulley debate.

If you have $5K I'd do:

RMW header
RMW BVH
RMW cam
injectors (RMW can supply)
RMW tune

I did the cam, BVH, injectors, re-tune with ARP studs & gasket for about $3,500 (my retune wasn't much$$$ and you'll need a full original tune)
add in the RMW header and if you have some $ left over get a rear sway.

If you want to see what kind of power gains these mods makes you can look at my dynos I posted. The first dyno is w/o these upgrades the 2nd is w/them. Different days but same dyno. I'm also running a 15% pulley & have an OBX header which I plan on getting rid of and getting a RMW. It also started with a RMW tune so Jan just retuned it for the new stuff. I believe the OBX is the limiting factor and I would gain a little more top end with a RMW header.

gained:
+43 trq
+35 hp