R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Random question: is it SAFE to leave a fuel rail disconnected?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Random question: is it SAFE to leave a fuel rail disconnected?

Hey guys,

Doing some work on the car - got the injectors out (very corroded) - is it safe to leave a fuel rail and fuel line disconnected for a few days while j wait for some other parts? I disconnected the battery.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2016, 05:52 AM
slipmagt
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont see why it would be a problem as long as you arent dripping fuel, and you dont get any debris in the lines.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slipmagt
I dont see why it would be a problem as long as you arent dripping fuel, and you dont get any debris in the lines.
Thanks follow up question - how far do the injectors seat info the intake manifold. This this just looks off??? I know the o ring does the sealing but should the injector sit further down?? The 2 13mm bolts are bolted down

Attached Thumbnails Random question: is it SAFE to leave a fuel rail disconnected?-image-2039445606.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
slipmagt
3rd Gear
I'm on my phone so I can't be 100% but that looks like they are all the way in. When I changed mine I had them go in as far as they would physically go in.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
I'm on my phone so I can't be 100% but that looks like they are all the way in. When I changed mine I had them go in as far as they would physically go in.
Thanks - yeah they can't move anymore forward because the fuel rail is holding them. I guess I didn't expect to have air space around the body. I know the O ring does the sealing..it just looks wrong somehow

Old 03-18-2016, 04:28 PM
slipmagt
3rd Gear
If the orings are sealed and the rail is bolted I'd say your good. I was an idiot and forgot to snap the regulator back together before I tried to start it and dumped fuel all over my driveway. Luckly I had the forethought to roll the car out of the garage before I tried to start it.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
If the orings are sealed and the rail is bolted I'd say your good. I was an idiot and forgot to snap the regulator back together before I tried to start it and dumped fuel all over my driveway. Luckly I had the forethought to roll the car out of the garage before I tried to start it.
Ha - yeah that could have been tragic. I used a soft piece of wood against the rail to get the injectors seated after pushing on it and getting it as far as possible. Just started the car - all seems good...but no CEL or anything. Just took off intercooler again and don't really see any wetness...I broke one of the injector wire clips though...that sucks... :-(.....

Thank you for reassuring me slipmagt

Old 03-18-2016, 04:47 PM
slipmagt
3rd Gear
I put a touch of oil on the orings and pushed them in by hand. I was using injectors from a Ford focus so I needed to trim the clips a bit to get them to fit nice.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
I put a touch of oil on the orings and pushed them in by hand. I was using injectors from a Ford focus so I needed to trim the clips a bit to get them to fit nice.
Yup - I took a tiny bit of oil and rubbed it on with my finger as well.

Updated: thanks again for the encouragement slipmagt...I took it out for a quick 1 mile jog. Everything felt pretty good, pulled the intercooler off again and didn't see any leaks or moistness. No doubt it's running rich on an S with 15% pulley. Hearing some rattling (paranoia) thinking it might be the timing chain tensioner...if it's not one thing it's another eh...I guess I'll order one up.

Last edited by Kahnfucious; 03-18-2016 at 08:46 PM.