R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinion

Found a set of 370cc injectors for sale, but that's based on 3bar. Good price with warranty. I've got a few mods. Would it be ok to run them. My
Mods are: 16% pulley
M7 header & cat delete.
CAI. And is tuning necessary

Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
Injectors won't add anything without a tune. Its a waste if you don't pair the two

Old 02-18-2016, 05:16 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all injectors do is increase the fuel volume POSSIBLE to be injected per combustion stroke. There's no reason to get higher capacity injectors unless your stock injectors can't keep up with the air you're sucking into the engine. Here's some information on their maximum power ratings if you're trying to figure out if it's necessary.

Last edited by sevin; 02-18-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
Well I've read a few posts on here about doing some mods, and what I can figure out is that the
Stock injectors can't keep up, running at 90-100% duty cycle. After i did the header and cat delete I'm afraid I'm running lean and the injectors won't keep up so I figured I would do a larger cc injector and then soon after get it tuned. Now I know this kinda makes sense but correct me if I'm wrong but don't criticize me.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
I've got a miltek exhaust, Alta intake, 15% pulley, ati super damper pulley, helix tune and my stock injectors keep up fine, I run rich still

Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini manic89
Well I've read a few posts on here about doing some mods, and what I can figure out is that the
Stock injectors can't keep up, running at 90-100% duty cycle. After i did the header and cat delete I'm afraid I'm running lean and the injectors won't keep up so I figured I would do a larger cc injector and then soon after get it tuned. Now I know this kinda makes sense but correct me if I'm wrong but don't criticize me.
I don't think anyone criticized you. How are you differentiating criticism from correction? Like I said, you will only need bigger injectors if your engine ends up pulling more air than the injectors can supply at the correct ratio. I don't know how big stock injectors are, but with your mods, I'm fairly certain your injectors should still be able to keep up just fine.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
Oh no one was criticizing me I jus didn't want anyone to, but I do know the differences in 2004 and 2005 minis was the 05 had a limited slip diff and bigger injectors factory

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
I'd still put your money else where before injectors unless you've definitely got a problem. Its not going to magically add horsepower unless you feel a dull in acceleration or a flat spot/ stutter

Get some sway bars or suspension stuff. Check out my thread for options

Old 02-19-2016, 06:30 AM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
That's why I was asking about injectors because it has a slight studder and hesitation when in boost, what size are the factory injectors. And as soon as I get it tuned in going to do some suspension work to stiffen it up

Old 02-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Unbreakable Lump
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Got to be careful about injector specifications. There is the length of the injector between O-rings, the tip length, connector type and spray pattern & dynamic flow rate to consider besides just the static flow rate. The R53 injectors are dual cone spray (with I think a 20 deg. spray angle separation) to minimize port wall wetting. A single cone probably works fine at WOT, but could be a problem at cold start or cold idle. There is a thread here somewhere that describes all of the different injectors that have good compatibility with the R53 engine and that have been used successfully. I plan to use the Volvo 380CC injectors with a 17% pulley, ported head and a few other mod's.

If you use the 370CC injectors with mild mod's and no tune, The fuel adaptives should adjust properly for closed loop operation, but you'll probably still run overly rich in open loop (high load) conditions, as the standard calibration with 340CC injectors is already very rich in the overboost portion of the fuel map. You then run the risk on extremely hot days of reaching the rich misfire limit, not to mention very poor fuel economy.

Here's the thread I mentioned. Very long but gets into specific part numbers that are usable.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...jectors-6.html

Also, the idea that the stock 340CC injectors can't keep up with the mod's that you have I think has been overstated. There are folks running stock injectors and tune with 17% pulleys without a problem. Your added exhaust side improvements only very slightly increase the air mass flow through the engine (I'll look it up later tonight as I have some hard data on that but I think it's < 2%) that would result in slightly leaner open loop operation than stock, which is already very rich. From what I've read, it's when you port the head and/or add a bigger cam that you hit the limit of the stock injectors. Since you're de-catted, you don't have to worry about the pre-cat temp. limit that defined the stock fueling at WOT. The only way to know for sure what your combination of mod's needs is to run a wide range O2 sensor and/or thermocouple in the header collector or primary runners, otherwise you're just guessing.

Last edited by Unbreakable Lump; 02-19-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
Thank you for your info it has been very helpful, I've been doing a ton of research on injectors and found that the vw injectors will work they are the 4 hole design and shouldn't hit the wall between ports very much at all, and they are 380cc @ 3bar. I'm still
Doing as much research as I can before i buy a set. And another benefit they are the ev1 connector style. Even though it's not hard to change over to the ev4(considering I have a set of them out of a camaro and they are 370cc)

Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Unbreakable Lump
Got to be careful about injector specifications. There is the length of the injector between O-rings, the tip length, connector type and spray pattern & dynamic flow rate to consider besides just the static flow rate. The R53 injectors are dual cone spray (with I think a 20 deg. spray angle separation) to minimize port wall wetting. A single cone probably works fine at WOT, but could be a problem at cold start or cold idle. There is a thread here somewhere that describes all of the different injectors that have good compatibility with the R53 engine and that have been used successfully. I plan to use the Volvo 380CC injectors with a 17% pulley, ported head and a few other mod's.

If you use the 370CC injectors with mild mod's and no tune, The fuel adaptives should adjust properly for closed loop operation, but you'll probably still run overly rich in open loop (high load) conditions, as the standard calibration with 340CC injectors is already very rich in the overboost portion of the fuel map. You then run the risk on extremely hot days of reaching the rich misfire limit, not to mention very poor fuel economy.

Here's the thread I mentioned. Very long but gets into specific part numbers that are usable.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...jectors-6.html

Also, the idea that the stock 340CC injectors can't keep up with the mod's that you have I think has been overstated. There are folks running stock injectors and tune with 17% pulleys without a problem. Your added exhaust side improvements only very slightly increase the air mass flow through the engine (I'll look it up later tonight as I have some hard data on that but I think it's < 2%) that would result in slightly leaner open loop operation than stock, which is already very rich. From what I've read, it's when you port the head and/or add a bigger cam that you hit the limit of the stock injectors. Since you're de-catted, you don't have to worry about the pre-cat temp. limit that defined the stock fueling at WOT. The only way to know for sure what your combination of mod's needs is to run a wide range O2 sensor and/or thermocouple in the header collector or primary runners, otherwise you're just guessing.
/end thread.

Some great info. Always nice to read something you post. When's the next installment of the origins of the Tritec coming out?

Old 02-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Mini manic89
1st Gear
I agree, no point in 380cc injectors when the factory is like 374cc. Wish i could afford a cam and or bytronik though.