R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Midland Tranny. 3rd gear gone after only 1k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Midland Tranny. 3rd gear gone after only 1k miles.

Here's what I sent to John of MINI Gearboxes UK.

"Hi John,

Just checking in with you regarding my Midland tranny rebuild. I completed the build accordingly. After about 1000 miles I've lost 3rd gear. The gearshifts into 3rd but once accelerating it quickly pops out of gear. This problem gradually got worse, 3rd gear worked fine for about 750 miles. If I hold the gear shift it will stay for a bit then the gear fights back. I used Redline transmission fluid as recommended. I was told by a friend that it sounds like the 3rd gear synchro is not working correctly.

Any thoughts on what I should do, have you had this problem presented to you? Do you know if a fix is available?

Thanks,
Andrew"

Do you guys have any input, thoughts, suggestions?... I hate having gone through the work and money only to have a gear go out.

Either way time to start ripping the car back apart...

Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
From John Tee, guy's got super duper customer service, very quick and friendly!

Here's his response:
"Good morning Andrew, It sounds like the 3 rd gear syncro pack may be at fault or the gear itself.

I would check the linkage in the plastic turret is sitting in correctly and that its throwing the arm on top of the box all the way into gear.

After that it may have to come apart and take a look at the gear.

I Build most of the gearsets we export myself, this is the first one by the sound of it that may have a problem.

Let me know about the linkage and then I'll have to get a 3rd gear over to you and give you instructions on how to dismantle the gear shaft.

Kind regards John Tee"

Now how do I check these linkages? I've removed battery box and gone through the gears with someone watching, vice versa, but can't seem to see any problems with the gear linkages.
Anyone know what position the linkages would be in when shifting into 3rd gear? Anything I should look for? Do you guys have anything?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If it goes into gear fine, and then pops out, I'm afraid it's internal, not the linkage.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 AM
wilkrod
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer

I am in agreement that if you select the gear, and the cables are properly anchored with retaining clips it is an internal box issue.
My theory is that one or more of the steel *****/springs in the synchro hub have become adrift. From my observation the gears themselves are quite stout and should not be the issue.
The only other theory I have is one of the retaining rings on the main shaft has come loose.
Sorry
Jeff

Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Of course, not what I wanted to hear. Guess this time I'll make make it worth it and install the new clutch as well. Shouldn't be half as bad the 2nd time around except for the fact I'll have to dismantle the shaft.

Wilkrod- You stated it may be a problem with the synchro hub and steel ***** coming loose. Is that a common issue? I think are only 2 in the tranny correct?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM
wilkrod
1st Gear
A Pain

I doubt there is a hi failure rate if assembled correctly.
I know from my rebuild that the synchro assemblies are very fiddley to get back together properly, I had to do one of them several times before I got it correct. It was very difficult at least for me to visually determine if it was correctly assembled. Finally I figured it out by determining the visual difference between all of the synchros and how they affected the meshing of the gears.
Unfortunately, nothing I can verbalize, you just have to play with it until everything works correctly. With both assembled shafts in the gearbox, but without the top cover, you can shift the gears to make sure everything is correct.
Regards
Jeff

Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Hmm I agree with you. I'd love to see how that synchro hub operates. I know when I was fiddling with the old one I picked it up by the ring and BLAM, 3 springs and 3 steel ***** shot out. Reminds me of a Christmas Story.

Any who, I believe John is going to send me a new 3rd gear and synchronizers. Hopefully he'll be able to provide more detailed information on the operation of this gadget.

Still odd how it would work and then go out after only 1000ish miles. Not like I was racing or driving hard, I was giving it 2k miles to "break in".

Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,979 Likes on 1,776 Posts
Sounds like its bad or its was reinstalled , midland rebuild here for reference to compare install. If you are getting a new one, compare it to the old one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mentation.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
ECS - You think it was bad when I installed it? (Thats the consensus right now)
Just trying to get my information correct before getting back in touch with John, shipping is expensive to and from England. Don't wanna have to go back and forth. Ya know?

Helix - I can actually get it into 3rd when I get the speed/rev just right and hold it there for awhile. 3rd gear is my favorite on the MINI, but once a moderate amount of gas is applied it pops out. I'm getting some new shift linkage clips ordered since it appears they are a bit mangled and could use a new pair.

Just trying every route before getting the parts from John in England. He's a great guy to do business with btw!

Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,979 Likes on 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
ECS - You think it was bad when I installed it? (Thats the consensus right now)
Just trying to get my information correct before getting back in touch with John, shipping is expensive to and from England. Don't wanna have to go back and forth. Ya know?
Very possible, or installed slightly wrong, thats why i linked the diy. Like to check all routes before you go with the part exchange.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM
wilkrod
1st Gear
Hmm I agree with you. I'd love to see how that synchro hub operates. I know when I was fiddling with the old one I picked it up by the ring and BLAM, 3 springs and 3 steel ***** shot out. Reminds me of a Christmas Story.

LOL, sorry, but I feel your pain. Did the exact same thing, spent half a day finding the *****/springs, figuring out how to put it back together.
If you stare at the midlands rebuild document long enough it actually makes sense.

Just a thought did you check the fore/aft cable to ensure it's adjusted properly? It could be as simple as having just enough travel when "pushing" that you can select the gear, but with pressure off it allows the gear to pop out as it is not fully engaged within the box.

Good luck
Jeff

Old 01-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Jeff, great suggestion. I'm all for giving it a shot, only thing is... I have no clue what the fore/aft cable is???