R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 need a tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:33 PM
02proxdude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a tool

So i am in Minnesota on the west side of the twin cities. i am planning to do the timing chain in the next couple weeks and am looks to hopefully just borrow the cam lock to get the job done easier. I am not planning to replace the gears top and bottom as they are another $50 top and bottom so if i can avoid having to i will. My cooper is my beater and 3rd car and i need it up and running well for winter so i can park my fun car and keep it out of the snow. Not sure if anyone has a cam lock tool or if this job is easy enough without it that i can save the $140 purchase price of the tool I again would be much happier. i can pay for shipping on the tool or if local i am more than willing to drive and pick it up and return it, plan to have this car done in the next 2 weeks or so, any info helps!

Also, has anyone had to do with rust and repair from the dealer? i know it has the 10 year warranty against rusting and i have the plague showing its face around the rear plate o the rear. Does the dealer just need to see it and they get to fix it or is there a process?

Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Why are you replacing the timing chain?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM
02proxdude
1st Gear
ttt

Last edited by 02proxdude; 09-22-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Might have better luck tracking down a tool to borrow in your area by posting in the regional section of the forum here. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.detroittuned.com/mini-gen-1-cam-tool-rental/

$20

And jab was asking a legitimate question, dont think he was trying to jack anything, timing chains rarely go bad on an r53 it seems

Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
OP - you asked about the rust...

Yes. Up here in Canada it's a 12 year rust perforation warranty starting at cars built from January 1, 2004 onwards (for first gen- I don't know about 2nd gen). The car needs to be taken to the dealer for an "inspection" at which point the SA will take photos of the rust areas, the mileage and VIN and submit them to Corporate for their review and hopefully; approval.

I just got "Jean" back from the warranty job: 2 doors, 2 rear quarter panels, new boot and spray. Basically more than 1/2 the car. The job was valued at $9300, but I paid $0. The work took a month to complete, and it is stellar.

Good thing too, because I bought the car knowing about the warranty (the seller didn't) and having helped others do it, but no experience myself. Now that frees me up to send "Olivia" in at some point (2 quarters need it)

Feel free to ask me anything else about it, if I didn't answer it.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Important thing to note:

The the rust MUST NOT BE REPAIRED by anyone previously, patched or played with. If someone attempted to fix an area on the same panel, or the car it may be entirely voided.

So, I suppose you could say they're looking for OEM rust only.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also important to know is the rust warranty does not apply to an 02, so hopefully your forum name is not the year of your car.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by 02proxdude
So i am in Minnesota on the west side of the twin cities. i am planning to do the timing chain in the next couple weeks and am looks to hopefully just borrow the cam lock to get the job done easier. I am not planning to replace the gears top and bottom as they are another $50 top and bottom so if i can avoid having to i will. My cooper is my beater and 3rd car and i need it up and running well for winter so i can park my fun car and keep it out of the snow. Not sure if anyone has a cam lock tool or if this job is easy enough without it that i can save the $140 purchase price of the tool I again would be much happier. i can pay for shipping on the tool or if local i am more than willing to drive and pick it up and return it, plan to have this car done in the next 2 weeks or so, any info helps!

Also, has anyone had to do with rust and repair from the dealer? i know it has the 10 year warranty against rusting and i have the plague showing its face around the rear plate o the rear. Does the dealer just need to see it and they get to fix it or is there a process?
Rust info here : Its dependent on the month/ year produced. They extended the warranty for 05' model years.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tailights.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM
02proxdude
1st Gear
i am going for the timing chain replacement as i have done the chain tensioner once, and the rattling came back within 3 thousand miles, did an oil change and found some metal flakes in the oil. I am guessing the metal was form the chain being lose and actually touching the chain guard on the bottom of the crank sprocket. Terrifying i know, but i did the oil change and the problem was then gone for about 2 thousand more miles, and is now back again. so i plan to replace the timing chain and guids along with gaskets all over that leak (usual suspects, crank position sensor, dipstick tube, and oil pan)

thansk for the link for the tool rental!

Yes i do realize that this is not the motor that has timing chains go bad, but this car was a neglected step child of a car to the previous owner which is why i rescued it from him for so cheap as it was needing the transmission fixed and the dealer gave him the sob story that they couldn't open the tranny and just replace the valve body it needed, and they needed to replace it, costing more than the car was worth. Unless things were broken or falling off or a light came on the guy didn't do a thing to it.

I guess i could try throwing another chain tensioner at it and see if that fixes it for good this time, but i really want to get the supercharger oil change done and i am over half way to the timing chain at that point. And i will still be doing all the gaskets that leak and cleaning up the block.

In a way i am trying to fix it and make sure that it is good to go for its next owner, i need to get the rear control arm brackets off so i can press out the old bushings and put the new ones i have into it, get this rattle figures out and stop all the unsightly leaks, rust repaired and then list it up. I am seeing an audi TT in my near future for Minnesota winter! and the 1.8t with a ko4 turbo and a tune is good for upper 200hp range and awd, just little tings.

Sorry for long post, but that's where my thinking is and what my aim is. Thanks for replies and the tool rental link, potentially saved me $100 on project if that's they way it has to go.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 PM
02proxdude
1st Gear
as for the year its a 2006 R53 automatic, blue and black, fun car, but as stated, neglected red headed step child of a car