R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Floor Mats - Carpet v. Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 03:13 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Floor Mats - Carpet v. Rubber

In my last MCS I opted for the carpeted floor mats. I have seen a number of pictures posted here with the rubber ones and they look good. I've also seen the rubber ones that come with the MC40 and I liked them, too.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which they like better and the reasons behind their choices? I'd especially like to hear from folks with the rubber ones, since I had the carpet mats and liked them just fine. My 05 HB/W MCS is supposed to be at the VPC, so delivery could happen any time (or just get delayed - who knows).

Thanks,

Karl

Old 08-08-2004, 03:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi, Karl!

I have the black rubber floormats and bootliner, and am very pleased with them. From the earliest times of MINIdom, since 2002, I had read that the carpet mats didn't wear that well, so I decided to go with the rubber. Then once I got them, I found that I really prefer the look...it's sportier-looking than the carpet. And you can scrub them and get them looking brand-new so easily!

Hope that helps!

Clo/Wanda

Old 08-08-2004, 03:32 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rubber mats look good, and like Clo says, you get em dirty just hose them off.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Thanks for the feedback. I, too, like the look of the rubber mats. I thought they would be cheap looking, but they do add a sporty feel and I imagine they will hold up better than the carpeted ones. My carpet mats held up pretty well, but I'm leaning towards something different with the new one.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:04 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the rubber mats and like them a lot. They are easy to clean, and the rubber dimple dots match my profile leather exactly.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:16 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I bought after market carpeted mats with the S logo. They look really sharp. For winter, I bought the OEM Rubber Mats, like them so much that I leave them in all year long. Guess I'll use the carpetd mats for some special occatons

Old 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
jsun
6th Gear
kfmuller, since you seem to be in TX, perhaps this won't matter to you but here in the Northeast the rubber mats are essential in the winter due to their "tray" design. The OEM rubber mats for the MINI are made by Cannon which makes the best foul weather mats around. In the winter, these things will easily hold about a pint (if not more) of slush which will later turn into water as the car interior warms up. No carpet mat will equal that. In winter, my boots will easily disgourge that much salt-rich sluch...and there's no way I want that sloshing around the interior. There's no question but that I want the rubber mats.

Even in August, the thought of this makes me shivver....

Old 08-08-2004, 04:29 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
I have the rubber mats and after 9 months, they have a few strange stains, meaning that the carpet was saved from such a fate.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:11 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Carpet mats show wear sooner, especially those spots where you always rest your heel. And it seems like once sand gets in them, you can never really get it all out. When the rubber mats start to look dull, a good cleaning followed by a treatment of 303 Aerospace protectant makes them look brand new again.

I took my carpeted mats out and put in the rubber ones the day I brought my MC home and the carpeted ones are still sitting on the shelf in the garage. :smile:

Old 08-08-2004, 05:15 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Looks like I'm going w/ rubber this time around. They really do look good, and with all of the positive feedback they're receiving, I'd say it's a lock.

Thanks again. Oh, and here in downtown Dallas, you don't know what you're tracking into your MINI, so being able to spray the mats off with a high pressure hose is a definite plus.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the carpet one's in my '02 MCS. As said before, they do show wear on the part where the heel hits. I think this is mostly due to the fact that the reinforced part (where the heel is supposed to go) is not where my heel is . I've got two nice holes starting right under the accelerator pedal and one near the clutch (neither is where the factory reinforced part is ). I think I'll opt for the rubber one's on my next MINI and maybe one of those aluminum one's when my current MINI.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Ditto........but over time expect your heels to wear down spots of rubber under them. Have had them for two years and otherwise.....perfecto. While you're at it you ought to go with the boot mat too.....more like plastic, but very easy to keep clean.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:10 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
>Does anyone have an opinion as to which they like better and the reasons behind their choices? '

I have both the genuine carpet and rubber MINI matts. I don't like the
rubber ones (black) because they get dirty so easily. Out here in Chicago,
one step in salt covered parking lot = white foot prints all over the rubber
matt.

So, I like my carpeted ones better since I don't use my MCS in the snow
and I will almost never have wet shoes in my car anyway. I'll just
vaccume the carpet ones now and then.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:14 PM
DSA
3rd Gear
Not to Hijack

But I really like the look of the polished cross pattern steel mats.

They look race ready does anyone have them?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:15 PM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
I bought both at the time I picked up my car in winter. I intended to leave the rubber mats in in winter and switch to carpet for the summer. I really like the rubber mats but by golly I paid for the carpeted ones. so I have the carpeted in right now until fall. I think next year I'll leave the rubbers in all year. They really do look great. The carpeted look a little, hmmm, cheap. and they hold cat hair like hell.

Old 08-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The Canadian Floor mats use the same carpet pile as the floorboard carpet, and are of much higher quality than the US spec carpet mats.

That said, I run the US rubber mats in mine year-round, they're awesome.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 PM
lotsie
Banned
I got the rubber mats shortly after I got my MINI and I realy like them.They keep snow and slush off the carpet,they hold the gravel from my driveway from migrating all over the car,and they are very easy to clean

Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 PM
erik808
6th Gear
The lip surrounding my rubber mats is invaluable. It keeps my carpet as clean as possible. Best mats ever for me. Silly/dorky to give mats such props but they're ...unreal:smile: . Go MINI rubber!

Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
We've got both, and mostly use the rubber during the winter. I like the look and feel of the carpet better when they are clean, but the rubber ones should hold up better over time, and are very well made - better than most. If I could only have one set, I'd choose rubber.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:40 AM
C4
Banned
I don't like the rubber mats. Look HORRIBLE when dirty and worn out big time. Have seen them in a few MINI loaners at my dealership. Since in FL there is no snow, the carpeted mats are a much better choice and look GREAT. No wear problems whatsoever and vacuum really easy. very high qaulity and very happy with them.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:58 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
OMG - I LOVE my black rubber mats. They do not look cheap at all - in fact, I say the opposite. I have the leatherette interior (which SO many people think is leather anyway), and the black mats go SO well with it.

A few weeks ago, my fiance put a grande latte in the cup holder. Sure enough, first turn, latte everywhere. But, it all hit the mat. We got home, he grabbed a paper towel, and it was gone. That would have been a RESOLVE task for sure with carpet mats...

Old 08-09-2004, 06:18 AM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
How about cocomats?

I think cocomats look great. http://www.cocomats.com/

Old 08-09-2004, 06:28 AM
BostonMarkC
4th Gear
You've gotta go with the rubber mats. Very good-looking and durable. Mine even have a carbon fiber look S logo to match my CF dash trim

Old 08-09-2004, 07:33 AM
kiki511
2nd Gear
I too was hesitant about getting rubber mats, thought they would look cheap, etc. But I do love the look of them, they look sportier, they just BELONG in a Mini. My one problem is that they do always look dirty. I clean them off with spray cleaner and they still don't really look clean. And this is in good weather, since I've only had my Mini since March. I can't imagine what will be happening in the winter. Any suggestions on how to get them really clean and keep them that way?

Old 08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Try Griot's rubber cleaner.......works for me.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Floor Mats - Carpet v. Rubber