R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Mini Owner in Virginia Beach

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner in Virginia Beach

Four hours ago I became the proud owner of a 2004 Mini Cooper. I know a lot of people do not like the Solid Gold color scheme, but they had one and when I first started playing with mini models online, Gold was the color I chose first. I have the SG/black roof & mirrors. And seeing it in person was much more impressive than the sample online.

My husband used to pick on me, saying the Mini Cooper was "ugly" but he sure dropped that once we did the demo drive. I really got a lot of satisfaction converting him to the MINI experience. I have wanted one of these since last year-- I can't stop smiling tonight. My husband bought it for me, knowing how much I wanted it. This is our first brand new car.

I purchased mine through Checkered Flag BMW in Virginia Beach. My husband and I have messed up credit due to a short stint in the civilian world (until 9/11, when he re-enlisted) that didn't go well, but they managed to find us a finance plan we could live with and that would let me live my dream of owning a MINI Cooper.

Ours has the Premium package, Sports Seats, heated seats, Xenons, rear spoiler ( I didnt even know you could ge that on the basic MINI Cooper), and moonroof.

My 16 year old son is trying to act aloof about the whole thing (even complaining the back seat was too 'cramped'), but he sure had a glimmer in his eye when he said he'd be driving it as soon as his license is given to him. He didnt like it when I told him he's driving the Aerostar van. HAHA. My ten year old daughter is flipping out as much as I am.

I'm so thrilled. I can't wait to go driving on the highway tomorrow looking for excuses to go everywhere.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:29 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
Congratulations!!!!

I think the Gold & Black looks fantastic. and it sounds like you got a good one, too.

We have a local goup (click here) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HRclubMINI/
in Hampton Roads, we've gotten together for some drives, meals, etc.
Please join us!

BartMack
[Virginia Beach]

Old 06-22-2004, 06:40 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, Mojodiva! Did you get the 5-speed or the CVT? I'd love to see some pix of your new baby. Have you named her/him yet?

Be sure to check out your regional forum here on NAM to see what MINI activities are planned for your area! :smile:

Have fun getting to know your MINI....happy, happy motoring!

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
BartMack- wow, thanks for the link! I will definately check that out!!! We're stationed at Little Creek NAB. I love Virginia Beach.

MiniClo--We bought the CVT (I do not know how to drive a standard and I'll be damned if I'll buy a car to learn to drive one, LOL). What I like is I get the auto transmission and hubby can switch to that SuperDrive and drive it like a manual anyway! He says he will show me how, but I will wait until after the engine is broken in!

I am thinking of naming him Elvis... I keep thinking of that gold suit he used to wear while he rocked and shook his black hair. Also have considered Apollo and Hermes. Hubby just calls him "Mini" .

Old 06-22-2004, 08:06 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Elvis!... Little Elvis! MINI Elvis! Ha! I love it!

Godspeed.
(Sorry about my sig, still working on sizing...)

Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
"Elvis" lives! TEE HEE! That's a cool name for a Solid Gold/Black MINI! Heh heh...my hubby calls ME "MINI!" Enjoy your CVT and don't let hubby use the sport mode until it's broken in!!! Or you'll sic the MINI-cult on him, LOL!

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Gosh, I'm so glad you two like the name-- it just seemed to fit and Jeremy at CF (my MA) thought it was brilliant. I of course had no clue he is an enormous Elvis fan!
**edit changing the name....see below please!

Thank you for pointing out the Sport Drive issue. I watched the Owner CD and scrambled to call him at his job to warn him not to use the cruise control. Gosh I don;t know if he used the Sport Drive. I will ask him in the morning. I do know he was, umm, testing its speed on I264 and hit 93.... bad, bad hubby!!! heh.

We will be very gentle from now on! (well, til he is broken in)

***edit: Asked him this morning and he did indeed drive it a bit in sportDrive. OOPS!!! We're not going to do it anymore, however, promise!

Its 7am and I am trying to invent reasons to go driving already, but with the traffic, I think I can wait a couple more hours until my daughter is up and ready to go!

I think I am going to go with calling my MINI "Mr. Mojo." I believe I can even get that on a vanity plate without much fuss from my husband. He said since he will drive it as well, I couldnt put "mojodiva" on there.

Last edited by Mojodiva; 06-23-2004 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Congradulations on the new Mini I picked up my Solid Gold mini last week I waited two months for mine. I got mine all Gold with lots of chrome plus I also have the packages you have. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Solid Gold, 123, Aero Kit, 5sp, R90

Last edited by Aquasar; 06-23-2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:30 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
Welcome, welcome!

Looks like the Virginia Beach area intelligence quotient has risen lately! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Enjoy Mr. Mojo!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
I waited two months for mine. I got mine all Gold with lots of chrome plus I also have the packages you have. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Solid Gold, 123, Aero Kit, 5sp, R90
Awesome! I was super lucky as they had pretty much the car I had fiddled with online right there on the lot and ready to go.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TMGRobyn
Looks like the Virginia Beach area intelligence quotient has risen lately! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Enjoy Mr. Mojo!
Hehe, well, not sure about that, but the road sure does look a lot more fun!
I was awful today-- was doing U-Turns to show off its sharp reflexes and people were STARING.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Mojodiva
I was awful today-- was doing U-Turns to show off its sharp reflexes and people were STARING.
That wasn't awful, sweetie! That was very MINI of you! Welcome to the cult! HA HA HA!!! Ooops.....I mean "club!"

:smile: BTW, "Mr. Mojo" is a great MINI-name, too! His nickname can be "Elvis!" LOL!

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Perfect fix MINIClo!!!!

My Hubby said he;d have no problem calling the car "Mojo" which is cool. He said it will be just fine for the plates as well. WHEE! I hope to get them in october!

Old 06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:smile: Congrats on the new motoring machine!!! Don't worry - you won't have ANY problems coming up with excuses to drive Mr. Mojo......

We recently moved to So Cal from Northern Virginia - lots of great MINI people back there in VA! Check out www.dcmetrominis.org - they are up in the Northern VA area but they do plan a lot of events... Happy Motoring!!

Chow!

Donna :smile:

Old 06-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
thanks for the link!!!

(Beautiful ride you have there!)

Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
congrats mojo.. see you on the road around va beach..

good luck and hopefully you won't have the horrid problems i have with CF's service dept.

I have an all-silver MC with LTSMTR va beach plates... look out for me

wags

Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 AM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Wags, I have you written down on my little sticky note. I've decided to write down people's names (and their car's plates and nicknames) just in case I see someone out motoring.

Today I am heading out to Military Mall, because I haven't been there yet. Want to see how close it is to me. Lynnhaven Mall seems real close now that I have Mr.Mojo (I also call him Elvis), but Id like to see if the Military Mall is closer.

Hope to spot your baby!

Old 06-24-2004, 07:00 AM
wagsFTB
4th Gear
That's funny, I'm actually going to military circle mall today to see the dodgeball movie, but i won't be driving so you won't spot Winnie (my MINI). even if military circle mall is closer, i'd recommend taking the extra time to go to lynnhaven when you need to shop. MCM isn't the nicest of malls, unless you want shoes.. they have about a dozen shoe shops. they also have a really nice theatre, which of course is why i'm going.

see you around town

wags

Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 AM
winechic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojodiva
Mr.Mojo (I also call him Elvis)
Congrats on the new MINI!
You know, you can give your new Mini both a first and last name. Since his last name is obiviously Mojo, his first should be Elvis, 'cuz that is the most perfect namefor a SG/BLK mini I have ever heard. so my name vote is Mr. Elvis Mojo.

my $0.02. (why don't they have the cents symbol on computers? )

Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Thanks! When I first saw him I was thinking "Apollo" or "Hermes". Then while I as getting the MAs Owner Manual walkthrough, I looked over and it hit me. Elvis.

Yeah, I hope to get Mr. Mojo on his plates, but I refer to him as Elvis.

I had a good drive today. I did drive around there but didn't go into the mall and I was happy to finally find The Dump. Awesome. Think hubby and I are checking that out this weekend.

I love Lynnhaven Mall and I almost always see a MINI in that area! Thanks for the headsup about Military Mall.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
winechic's suggestion is perfect: Mr. Elvis Mojo! Tee hee! Good show! Motor on! Ha ha ha!

Oh....you MUST visit the Estrogen Only thread, Mojodiva! Some of the gals are in the mid-Atlantic area.....your neck of the woods! C'mon down and hang out with us in Off-Topic!

Clo/Wanda

Old 06-24-2004, 06:52 PM
lotsie
Banned
What ever you name you settle on for your MINI will be great.Just make sure only those close to you hear you talking to him

Old 06-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
winechic's suggestion is perfect: Mr. Elvis Mojo! Tee hee! Good show! Motor on! Ha ha ha!

Oh....you MUST visit the Estrogen Only thread, Mojodiva! Some of the gals are in the mid-Atlantic area.....your neck of the woods! C'mon down and hang out with us in Off-Topic!

Clo/Wanda
Hehehe, I've been playing with a program to print him out a birth certificate. LOL

I am on my way over now!

Old 06-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Mojodiva
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
What ever you name you settle on for your MINI will be great.Just make sure only those close to you hear you talking to him
Ha! Funny you should say that. I do talk to him and my husband laughs. I was also referring to Elvis as "him" when discussing something witha neighbor and they thought I was talking about my husband. The phrase "I've been riding him pretty hard." sure does take on a whole new meaning if they don't realize who Im talking about!

Old 06-26-2004, 10:18 AM
kshile
1st Gear
kshile

MojoD...you are alucky woman. Congrats on your new baby. I purchased my Cooper less than a week ago from C. Flag, VB and love him. Ernest, sales guy, was great. Hope you had a good experience. Happy motoring.

Quick Reply: R50/53 New Mini Owner in Virginia Beach